Posted to rec.woodworking

Default lost a nut from my skilsaw

I have lost a nut from my skilsaw, model# 5580. This nut is used to
tighten the depth adjustment with the the base plate. None of the
random spare nuts I have fit. From this page I can download manual
and parts list:

http://www.skiltools.com/Parts-And-S...rts-Lists.aspx

The parts list is super vague. I want part #44. This is shown in the
picture for the parts list on the model 5480 saw, but the model 5580
parts list is lacking a picture. Both use the same part number:
"1 619 X00 677" with description "Nut".

It costs a buck plus shipping and I can expect a week for that shipping.

Or if I could find out diameter and threading, I could (hopefully) buy it
today from a hardware store. Searching the web by part number does not
get me more details.

The bolt is not easily removed from the saw to bring it into my hardware
store. The bolt looks like 1/4-20, but nuts that fit that size don't
fit this. The similiarly sized metric nuts (m6x1) don't thread on either.

Can someone identify the part?

Elijah
------
yay for parts lists, boo for lack of detail
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 20:09:58 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

[...]

Take the whole saw to the hardware store or your local fastener shop
and see if they have something to fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2014 3:09 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

I have lost a nut from my skilsaw,

There were two ways to read that sentence. Happily, you meant it in the
less painful sense.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message ...

On 1/9/2014 3:09 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

I have lost a nut from my skilsaw,

There were two ways to read that sentence. Happily, you meant it in the
less painful sense.

With a sharp blade it may not hurt... at least not right away. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eli the Bearded wrote:
[...]

Have you tried putting a thread guage on the "bolt"? Or... taking your saw
to the big box store to match up a nut? You could have probably had it
fixed by now...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Eli the Bearded wrote:

[...]

Why not take the saw to the hardware store?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:09:58 AM UTC-10, Eli the Bearded wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it could be 1/4-28 fine thread
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote...
On 1/9/2014 3:09 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

I have lost a nut from my skilsaw,

There were two ways to read that sentence. Happily, you meant it in the
less painful sense.

My thoughts exactly. I thought, "Oh noooo..., not another shop accident
story." Then I thought, just how would he do that?

Then I saw that it was a hardware problem. In that case just go to your
local fastener place and let them find it for you. Anybody who works with
tools or machinery needs a relationship with fastener and bearing houses.
Those guys have saved my ass on many occasions. The world could not operate
without them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2014 10:21 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Greg Guarino" wrote...
On 1/9/2014 3:09 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

I have lost a nut from my skilsaw,

There were two ways to read that sentence. Happily, you meant it in
the less painful sense.

My thoughts exactly. I thought, "Oh noooo..., not another shop accident
story." Then I thought, just how would he do that?

No kidding, how did he just loose 1 nut? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2014 11:25 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/10/2014 10:21 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Greg Guarino" wrote...
On 1/9/2014 3:09 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:

I have lost a nut from my skilsaw,

There were two ways to read that sentence. Happily, you meant it in
the less painful sense.

My thoughts exactly. I thought, "Oh noooo..., not another shop accident
story." Then I thought, just how would he do that?

No kidding, how did he just loose 1 nut? ;~)

Precision: The hallmark of the true craftsman.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to GeneT, Stockmaj wrote:
1/4 fine doesn't fit either. The plastic lever on mine broke off so I tried to
buy a wingnut to replace it. I can't find one to fit, either

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...aw-769247-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01-Oct-17 2:44 PM, Stockmaj wrote:
replying to GeneT, Stockmaj wrote:
1/4 fine doesn't fit either. The plastic lever on mine broke off so I
tried to buy a wingnut to replace it. I can't find one to fit, either

Looking at pictures at ereplacementparts.com and scaling from the image
it looks like is 5/16" NC (0.31" +/-). Clearly the screw thread is
_not_ NF so would guess you're looking at 5/16 - 18 is NC.

If nothing else, replace both bolt and nut with new pair that do match...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2017 3:44 PM, Stockmaj wrote:
replying to GeneT, Stockmaj wrote:
1/4 fine doesn't fit either. The plastic lever on mine broke off so I
tried to
buy a wingnut to replace it. I can't find one to fit, either

Since the original post in 2014 he junked it and bought a new saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have to say, that subject line conjures up a pretty gruesome image.