Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Locking wheel nut key lost

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

Most likely. Skoda ones are availabe from Skoda dealers as my daughter
discovered when her garage id the same as your tyre fitters. My current
car and the previous one, came with 2 keys (one to use and one to lose).

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

It's then their problem if you pointed it out there and then.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

There are usually a variety of keys even for one make. And I dunno if you
can order up the correct one by chassis number. You may have to buy a set
of nuts and matching key.

Any decent tyre place should be able to remove the old nuts without a key,
if they're to be scrapped anyway.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept the
key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key. It's
a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

I trust the tyre fitters are going to pay! They broke the one with my sons
Volvo and the replacement cost £33. Only available from Volvo dealer on
production of proof of ownership. They are not just model dependant but vary
right down to VIN number.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 16:11:41 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

They are not just model dependant but vary right down to VIN number.

If one key fitted all say C70s, it'd be a bit of a crap "security"
device, would it not?

There will be a fairly finite range of keys, but - yep - the dealer will
need to know the VIN to order the right one unless there's a code written
in the handbook.

TBH, I'd just get the damn things removed and fit plain bolts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:40:40 +0100, GB wrote:

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have
lost the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it,
and kept the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.

Exactly. Stop faffing about and write to the manager giving them 5
working days to replace and deliver a genuine key at no cost to you.

They "lost" it they replace it. "Lost" probably means the fitter has
a mate who had lost their key...

The snag may be proving they lost it - unless you checked when picking up
the car. As I discovered with a BMW main dealer who over the years lost
both of the keys. The fact that the rest of the toolkit was complete and
unused held no ice with them.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

It's then their problem if you pointed it out there and then.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

There are usually a variety of keys even for one make. And I dunno if you
can order up the correct one by chassis number. You may have to buy a set
of nuts and matching key.

Any decent tyre place should be able to remove the old nuts without a key,
if they're to be scrapped anyway.

not much use if you've got a roadside puncture.

When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our village
simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and ordered that.
We had it the next day.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:40:40 +0100, GB wrote:

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.

Exactly. Stop faffing about and write to the manager giving them 5
working days to replace and deliver a genuine key at no cost to you.

They "lost" it they replace it. "Lost" probably means the fitter has
a mate who had lost their key...

Or a mate that's going to nick your wheels and nice new set of tyres next
week!

This reminds me, must check mine is still there I had a puncture repaired
this morning, cost me 24 quid!!!!!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get the
wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the locking nuts
with standard ones.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:56:26 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

They "lost" it they replace it. "Lost" probably means the fitter

has
a mate who had lost their key...

Or a mate that's going to nick your wheels and nice new set of tyres
next week!

That as well ...

This reminds me, must check mine is still there I had a puncture
repaired this morning, cost me 24 quid!!!!!

£14.40 last month for me.

£8 for me the other day. Worth shopping around. If you're a regular at one
dealer they may do it free but always ask first.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:56:26 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

They "lost" it they replace it. "Lost" probably means the fitter

has
a mate who had lost their key...

Or a mate that's going to nick your wheels and nice new set of tyres
next week!

That as well ...

This reminds me, must check mine is still there I had a puncture
repaired this morning, cost me 24 quid!!!!!

£14.40 last month for me. B-) Big lump of road chipping. Garage
wasn't sure it would work but with plenty of goop under the mushroom
head of the largest plug made and I haven't had to top up the air
since. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:56:26 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

They "lost" it they replace it. "Lost" probably means the fitter

has
a mate who had lost their key...

Or a mate that's going to nick your wheels and nice new set of tyres
next week!

That as well ...

This reminds me, must check mine is still there I had a puncture
repaired this morning, cost me 24 quid!!!!!

£14.40 last month for me.

£8 for me the other day. Worth shopping around. If you're a regular at
one
dealer they may do it free but always ask first.

I am so glad my brother is a mechanic.

He charges the general public £10 to fix a puncture - and £5 for regulars ie
for people who have their car serviced there - not people with lots of
punctures.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2014 15:40, GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

Probably a trip to your Volvo agent.
Consider replacing locking nut/bolt with normal one, wheel theft isnt
such a big issue these days.
Some of the security bolt/keys are not very resilient and easily damaged
( Skoda ones). Last thing you want is to get stuck with a puncture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Assuming you have a spare...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:

On 01/04/2014 15:40, GB wrote:

a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts.

Consider replacing locking nut/bolt with normal one, wheel theft isnt
such a big issue these days.

Because most cars have locking wheel nuts by now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/14 17:46, Bill wrote:
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get the
wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the locking nuts
with standard ones.

Does anyone actually nick wheels anymore? Like does anyone siphon petrol
out either?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/14 15:40, GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

Snap.

Kwik Fit did exactly the same for me, 20+ years ago.

I don't know exactly how the key I very carefully placed in an empty
glovebox with no other contents, could suddenly vanish but it did.
Multiple theories going through me head that some workshop oik there
tea-leafed it to come round later and leave my car stood up on bricks.

I rang and complained with this and was offered apologises and a
promised 10% discount for my next visit. Not been back since.

My next door neighbour successfully got the alloy wheel nuts off, using
the tool of choice back then for this, the venerable angle grinder.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2014 20:59, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/14 17:46, Bill wrote:
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get the
wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the locking nuts
with standard ones.

Does anyone actually nick wheels anymore? Like does anyone siphon petrol
out either?

No, they just put a hole in the tank and drain it into a bucket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

Do you have the code? Many cars have McGard wheel nuts and if you have the
code you can order a replacement from them directly

http://www.mcgard.de/en/home/kundens...chluessel.html

18 euros for a ford one - don't know if Volvo is the same.. worth giving
them a ring (free on 00800 25993400 )

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost
the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept
the key, which they cannot now find.

It's then their problem if you pointed it out there and then.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.
It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

There are usually a variety of keys even for one make. And I dunno if you
can order up the correct one by chassis number. You may have to buy a set
of nuts and matching key.

Any decent tyre place should be able to remove the old nuts without a key,
if they're to be scrapped anyway.

They might scrap the wheels as well! The heads of the locking bolts on
my Volvo V70 occupy the 'wells' in the wheel almost completely so that
there's no room to grip the outside of them. It wouldn't do you any good
if you could, because the outer ring rotates freely - and the key needs
to fit an odd-shaped bit inboard of that.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like problem for the stupid ******* in question to fix for you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
[...]

There are a least half a dozen different keys for a Land Rover - I know
that cos my last Defender was "F"
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get
the wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the locking
nuts with standard ones.

I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 21:13:48 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Does anyone actually nick wheels anymore?

Well I haven't seen a car on bricks for a while. Which considering
the price of ali could be considered odd. Maybe locking wheel nuts
are enough of deterrent? After all each make if not model of car has
it's own nut and with half a doezen or so variations of that.

Like does anyone siphon petrol out either?

No, they just put a hole in the tank and drain it into a bucket.

On the cars I've tried it on it's difficult if not impossible to get
a tube down into the fuel, presumably they either have a grid at the
bottom of the filler or a deflector that directs the tube up at such
an angle that it won't easily be turned back down.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/14 17:46, Bill wrote:
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get the
wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the locking nuts
with standard ones.

Does anyone actually nick wheels anymore? Like does anyone siphon petrol out either?

Have you tried syphoning fuel recently? Last time I tried I found that
there was some sort of anti-syphon device fitted in the filler neck. I
think they're pretty standard these days.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/14 23:25, bert wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get
the wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the
locking nuts with standard ones.

I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Torque settings? Air impact driver on max more like!

Just Tyres used to make a thing of hand tightening nuts, but I stopped
using them since they boned me[1]

[1] Went in for a couple of specific tyres on their website. They fitted
and presented the bill which was rather a lot more than the website
price. I argued and he said "oh, you only get the webprice if you book
online".

So I told him if they wanted to play silly buggers with a vvery long
term customer (20 years), then well done because they'd just lost me. I
get my tyres fitted at the local garage now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2014 23:25, bert wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get
the wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the
locking nuts with standard ones.

I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Kwik Fit don't use windy guns anymore, they use a torque wrench.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Kwik Fit don't use windy guns anymore, they use a torque wrench.

Yes. But do they set it for each individual car? I've seen them just pick
one up and use it. If all cars were the same, a windy gun set to that
figure would be fine.

If it were used correctly, I'd expect to see a handy chart giving the
torque settings for various models.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:22:56 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/04/2014 15:40, GB wrote:

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost

the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept

the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.

It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

Sounds like problem for the stupid ******* in question to fix for you.

--

Cheers,

John.

Lock nut for a new Audi swmbo got was missing completely. As were the floors mats, trim from the engine compartment and a fully functioning fog light switch. Selling garage couldn't give a toss. And they fitted different number plates to the front and back. Had to take it to a local main distributor who produced a box of lock nuts and matched hers.
Fisrt and last Audi. And their service was crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Kwik Fit don't use windy guns anymore, they use a torque wrench.

Yes. But do they set it for each individual car? I've seen them just pick
one up and use it. If all cars were the same, a windy gun set to that
figure would be fine.

If it were used correctly, I'd expect to see a handy chart giving the
torque settings for various models.

But those Kwik Fit fitters are so highly trained and experienced, they
have all the figures in their head, for every car ever made. They don't
need no stinking charts.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lock nut for a new Audi swmbo got was missing completely. As were the floors
mats, trim from the engine compartment and a fully functioning fog light
switch.
Selling garage couldn't give a toss. And they fitted different number plates to
the front and back. Had to take it to a local main distributor who produced a
box of lock nuts and matched hers.
Fisrt and last Audi. And their service was crap.

What a shame excellent cars otherwise, my A6 estate has just had its
19th birthday!.

Tho I do hear quite a few grumbles about Audi dealers from other owners
I know, and when I bought mine originally they weren't all they might be
thats why our second car then was a Volvo. The grade A snotty nosed prat
of a salesman couldn't see that it was my wife who was buying a car not
me!. Never spoke to her once but the Volvo salesman knew who to handle a
lady;!...

Any thing I can't do with mice theres a very good two man garage that
can and very reasonable priced they are too...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:40:40 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost

the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept

the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key.

It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

When my key went missing the local Nissan dealer I use just ordered a new set of locking wheel nuts and a key and was able to replace them no problem in the time it took me to drink a coffee.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/14 11:57, Mike Barnes wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Kwik Fit don't use windy guns anymore, they use a torque wrench.

Yes. But do they set it for each individual car? I've seen them just pick
one up and use it. If all cars were the same, a windy gun set to that
figure would be fine.

No,because the torque settings on the air guns are hopelessly
inaccurate, and as a result, I've seen far too many stretched studs.

If it were used correctly, I'd expect to see a handy chart giving the
torque settings for various models.

But those Kwik Fit fitters are so highly trained and experienced, they
have all the figures in their head, for every car ever made. They don't
need no stinking charts.

Or, if the bolts are the same size and thread, which most car wheel
bolts seem to be, they all need the same torque.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2014 13:19, John Williamson wrote:

Or, if the bolts are the same size and thread, which most car wheel
bolts seem to be, they all need the same torque.

But they're not - even for the same make. My previous Volvo V70 had 12mm
bolts and the current one has 14mm.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2014 13:19, John Williamson wrote:
No,because the torque settings on the air guns are hopelessly
inaccurate, and as a result, I've seen far too many stretched studs.

As used on stretched limos?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Torque settings? Air impact driver on max more like!

Many yes, but don't just assume that.

My dad used to, and I know another garage also uses torque extensions.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ets-and-torque

Doesn't matter what the gun is set to, if the correct extension is used then
the nuts will be done to the correct setting. I was amazed how accurate
they were!

Of course, you have to trust they use the correct one...

Darren