Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The varifocals have arrived

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 03:51:57 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Nope, just short sighted.

And I don't mean just seeing where the pointer is on a speedo. My car
has things like distance before needing petrol etc in about 5mm high
typeface. I have no problems reading that without reading specs.

I do, because I am short sighted and Adam is too.

Your problem is not that you are short-sighted, your problem is that you are
senile, Rot!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 04:09:43 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Not viable for everyone. I now find that the ones that give
me the best view of street signs etc don't allow me to read
the instrument panel digital displays like the clock and the
odo well enough a

The dashboard is beyond arm's length, so not really a problem for me
(either with the old varifocals that I never particularly got on with,
or the even older single vision lenses)

I suppose it might depend on how close you sit to the wheel. I'm about
6ft
tall, so tend to be some way from the dash.

I find that my unaided eyesight is fine for reading dashboard instruments
or a computer screen. With distance glasses on, the dashboard is
*slightly* less clear, but so little as to be negligible. With my reading
glasses on, the dashboard is a lot more blurred (and the world outside is
hopeless).

My accommodation is a lot worse than it used to be: my distance eyesight
has always been good and still isn't bad, but I could also read without
glasses until about 5 years ago, though I may have been struggling more
and more before I realised. Now I can't read a book without glasses.

Dashboards are different from reading: text is larger in relation to
apparent size at the viewing distance, compared with normal book text;
most of the time you need to see the position of a needle relative to a
marker and some numbers. As long as the vision is good enough to determine
what the icon is on the light that's just come on, that's good enough.
(Mind you, I have "icon blindness" in that I can see the icon fine but
have great difficulty working out what is depicted so I can relate that to
what it means - which is psychological rather than optical. It would help
if all cars used identical icons for the same situation - not just the
same picture but the same drawing of it - in the way that all cross-roads
signs are identical copies of each other, not just a cross of variable
design.)

Ours do

What does "ours" mean, Rot? You Ozzies? You STILL can't accept the fact that
this is a UK ng and not for Ozzies, senile oaf? tsk

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

You can have your rear fog lights on without the fronts one been turned on?

Yeah, two independent buttons on my present and previous car
(thoughtfully positioned so they're hidden behind the steering wheel on
RHD models)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You can have your rear fog lights on without the fronts one been turned
on?

Yeah, two independent buttons on my present and previous car
(thoughtfully positioned so they're hidden behind the steering wheel on
RHD models)

Ford?

No, Audi. When I first got into the new one I thought "great, they've
realised and moved them so you can see them now" but by the time I'd
adjusted the seat and steering wheel position, they were perfectly
hidden again :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:06:53 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

ARW wrote:

You can have your rear fog lights on without the fronts one been
turned on?

Yeah, two independent buttons on my present and previous car
(thoughtfully positioned so they're hidden behind the steering wheel
on RHD models)

Ford?

No, Audi. When I first got into the new one I thought "great, they've
realised and moved them so you can see them now" but by the time I'd
adjusted the seat and steering wheel position, they were perfectly
hidden again :-(

Exactly the same on my S-Max. The only improvement on the new one is that
the warning lights are now in the instrument cluster, not down by the
invisible switches! Still two buttons and I can never remember which one
is which without craning round and looking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Something very odd if you can't read the instruments with normal distance
vision - even at an age like mine where your accommodation is near zero.
And I don't mean just seeing where the pointer is on a speedo. My car has
things like distance before needing petrol etc in about 5mm high typeface.
I have no problems reading that without reading specs.

I am puzzled by that. It may be I have misunderstood. But I am fairly
sure the instruments are generally at an "intermediate" distance where
very many people (me included) need a substantial addition to their
distance prescription (albeit less than their reading addition).

I agree. Also, I've noticed that it is harder to read devices
that emit, rather than reflect, light such as Computer and
SatNav screens at extremes of the vision range.

Completely unconnected with this, when I got my first pair of
VariFocals, apart from the edge defocussing as previously
mentioned, I had no trouble with them but got a pleasant
surprise when I walked int a local pub which had a strange bar
design so that it was much deeper where the beer engines were
than the parts where the fonts for the fizzy keg muck were.

I walked up to the bar and suddenly found I could read the abv
figures off the pump handles from a standing position without
leaning half way across the bar as previously!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

Something very odd if you can't read the instruments with normal distance
vision - even at an age like mine where your accommodation is near zero.
And I don't mean just seeing where the pointer is on a speedo. My car has
things like distance before needing petrol etc in about 5mm high typeface.
I have no problems reading that without reading specs.

I am puzzled by that. It may be I have misunderstood. But I am fairly
sure the instruments are generally at an "intermediate" distance where
very many people (me included) need a substantial addition to their
distance prescription (albeit less than their reading addition).

I agree. Also, I've noticed that it is harder to read devices
that emit, rather than reflect, light such as Computer and
SatNav screens at extremes of the vision range.

Me too.

Reflective car number plates illuminated by my headlights appear double
and slightly shifted to the right. I think my prescription includes some
astigmatism correction but I have not yet given in to wearing glasses
for driving.

I can easily read 5mm high print at dashboard distance but not when it
is self illuminating.

--
Tim Lamb

I have arrived, recieved a McMaster Carr catalog in my most recent shipment Wes[_5_] Metalworking 7 March 6th 11 05:13 PM
3M specs have arrived! The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 8 September 10th 10 11:10 AM
varifocals John Stumbles UK diy 56 May 30th 09 08:02 PM
OT bifocals/varifocals? tarquinlinbin UK diy 30 October 6th 05 12:25 PM
I have arrived! (or I'm an addict, one of the two) Mark & Juanita Woodworking 24 January 24th 05 07:53 PM