Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peeler[_2_] Peeler[_2_] is offline

Default The varifocals have arrived

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 04:09:43 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Not viable for everyone. I now find that the ones that give
me the best view of street signs etc don't allow me to read
the instrument panel digital displays like the clock and the
odo well enough a

The dashboard is beyond arm's length, so not really a problem for me
(either with the old varifocals that I never particularly got on with,
or the even older single vision lenses)

I suppose it might depend on how close you sit to the wheel. I'm about
6ft
tall, so tend to be some way from the dash.

I find that my unaided eyesight is fine for reading dashboard instruments
or a computer screen. With distance glasses on, the dashboard is
*slightly* less clear, but so little as to be negligible. With my reading
glasses on, the dashboard is a lot more blurred (and the world outside is
hopeless).

My accommodation is a lot worse than it used to be: my distance eyesight
has always been good and still isn't bad, but I could also read without
glasses until about 5 years ago, though I may have been struggling more
and more before I realised. Now I can't read a book without glasses.

Dashboards are different from reading: text is larger in relation to
apparent size at the viewing distance, compared with normal book text;
most of the time you need to see the position of a needle relative to a
marker and some numbers. As long as the vision is good enough to determine
what the icon is on the light that's just come on, that's good enough.
(Mind you, I have "icon blindness" in that I can see the icon fine but
have great difficulty working out what is depicted so I can relate that to
what it means - which is psychological rather than optical. It would help
if all cars used identical icons for the same situation - not just the
same picture but the same drawing of it - in the way that all cross-roads
signs are identical copies of each other, not just a cross of variable
design.)

Ours do

What does "ours" mean, Rot? You Ozzies? You STILL can't accept the fact that
this is a UK ng and not for Ozzies, senile oaf? tsk

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."