Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default varifocals

Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

--
John Stumbles

Question Authority
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

What you have seems pretty typical of varifocals - good for general use,
but less than optimal for computer work. My husband had a special pair
made up - the lenses are specifically designed with a larger
computer-distance area, but he can still look up and see clearly across
the room, and look down and read fine print. I don't remember the name
of the lens, but I'll see if I can find the receipt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

I was sold a pair of varifocals on my last optician's visit -
nearly a year ago now.

Honestly can't say I'm convinced - it's not always easy to get the
'right' piece of the lens - and I still find it more comfortable for
many close-up tasks to take the glases off altogether (which was why
I was recommended varifocals in the first place)..

They were from an independent opticians - so fairly pricey.
Think I'll go for a single fixed prescription again when it's time for
replacement.... expensive learning experience ! g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 May 2009 15:21:00 -0400, S Viemeister
had this to say:

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Trifocal?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

No, they don't have lines. They're multifocals, like Varifocals, but
the proportions are different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

--
John Stumbles

Question Authority

My varifocals are great for general use but not for looking at the pc
screen. I have a fixed focus pair for monitor distance but usually I do
without. I had thought about asking for a pair with a bigger 0.75m area but
would they screw up my long distance or close-up vision?
I had two pairs on a special "offer". One was quite expensive and the free
one was the cheapest on offer. I was told that the expensive ones would not
distort when looking away from the centre of the lens. I don't think the
cheap ones do either! If they are made to the same prescription, why would
they behave differently?

Lawrence

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"adrian" wrote in message
HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

I've used them for the last maybe 10 years and generally they are
fine...... BUT ... trying to do close up work at a height is literally
a pain in the neck as you have to align the lower part of the lens
with the sight line ending up with a crick in the neck. Wiring up 20
fluorescent recently was quite painful.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of
glasses on, but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very
narrow horizontal field over which they focus properly, so even over
half a 19" screen width a line of text isn't all in focus at the same
time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of
focus and the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks
expect? Should they have a better range?

John,

As a long-time (and very myopic) varifocal wearer, I can tell you that as
long as the lenses have been made to the prescription, then they can take
what seems like a very long time to get used to them - as a tip, don't try
and focus by moving your eyes, move you whole head as up and down/left to
right until you get the correct position of the lens in the right place to
focus (which will come automatically after a while) - as the instructions
say with the leaflet that you had (should have had) when you had the lenses.

What you are experiencing has happened to me fairly regularly after having a
new pair of glasses (especially when I moved to a smaller frame (and
lenses) - and is happening at the moment as I'm sat here typing this and
also looking at a 19" screen.

As a matter of interest, I bought my first pair of varifocals also from
Specsavers (with plastic lenses) because of my usual optician's high prices,
and I had nothing but trouble with the damn things.

After about a year problems, I went back to the 'old firm' and got a new
pair with genuine Varilux glass lenses [1] and there was a 100%
improvement - and I got used to these very quickly indeed.

As a glasses wearer of some 40 years, I find glass optically better (and
less trouble) than plastic lenses - even though they are far dearer (last
pair of glasses cost me around £320).

Hope this is of some help

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

My cheap-and-easy solution is to wear my old reading glasses for the
computer. I don't often need to refer to fine print (that they aren't
good enough for any more) and the screen at the same time.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

adrian wrote:
HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

A number of years ago I was faced with the reading/distance problem.
Being short sighted, I really need glasses for distance (including
computer screen) but ordinarily single lenses make it more difficult to
read.

My then optician suggested cutting the lenses off a bit short. For me,
that worked well as I can read simply by looking below the bottom of the
lenses. Saves taking them off most of the time.

Having been quite happy with that for a few years I recently decided to
change to rimless glasses with Trivex lenses. And I am even happier due
to the lack of a frame edge between the glazed and unglazed areas.
Trivex is super-tough and helps to minimise the likelihood of cracking
that can occur with rimless glasses. They are super light (just 9 grams
in total). Fully hard/AR coated.

This would obviously not work for everyone, but maybe worth a thought.

(I was very happy with the service provided by justrimless.co.uk. Total
cost around GBP105 - as against over GBP165 at Specsavers for their
cheapest rimless. Turnaround on reglazing another pair as spares was
done within four hours of receipt. On a Saturday. The Trivex caused a
delay of a couple of weeks or so. As always, no connection with the
company. Though I do declare that I am employed by a subsidiary of the
manufacturers of the resin used to make Trivex lenses. But that was not
why I chose that material.)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Andrew

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"adrian" wrote in message
HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Yes - that's the kind of thing.
Oddly enough - ended up with a similar pain in the neck through spending
an hour or so sanding and filling a hole in the wing of my old Morris
- just behind the front wheel and close to the front doors.

Had to look down, but sort of upwards at the same time - ended up
looking over the top of the glasses and messed up another set of neck
muscles g. Can't win !

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've found the best solution is to have a single prescription pair for
computer work, varifocals for everything else. I suspect varifocals with a
wider mid-range band would compromise distance and close up use. The "sales"
staff won't necessarily really understand the optics behind varifocals, and
the difference between the various options. I've just moved to Specsavers
from a local chain and was quite pleased at the lack of hard sell for more
expensive options.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

I simply have never got on with varifocals. They made me nauseous when I
wore them and I found the position I needed to hold my head to focus on
things quite unnatural. I just have different glasses for different
purposes. However, as I have +11 correction, in practice, I simply wear the
distance pair and move them slightly closer or further from my eyes to cover
everything from reading to long distance.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

John Stumbles wrote:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

I have a pair but despite the cost 400 I've never got on with them. I have one
bad eye after a retinal detachment and a consequent need for a cataract
operation. Coupled with old age I need glasses for reading but my distance
vision is somehow better, I used to feel uncomfortable driving without glasses
but the cataract op seems to have improved things. But in theory my distance
vision should be be improved with glasses. So I thought vari focals would be a
good thing, able to drive and look at a map, with a mid range for the computer.

I find the useless for driving, in fact useless for crossing the road, there is
no peripheral vision, if I don't look straight ahead everything is out of
focus. So I have to turn my head instead of moving my eyes.

Useless for computer work too, the head has to be aimed precisely at the screen
(two x 21" in my case). So I drag them out from time to time when I go to a
conference and get a headache - but perhaps that's just powerpointlessness.

--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses
on, but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow
horizontal field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19"
screen width a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus
and the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect?
Should they have a better range?

Well I'm 'long sighted' with a fairly heavy astigmatism, so have
experience of needed sight correction always. As a kid glasses worked well
enough - but I hated wearing them. Couldn't look through binoculars or a
camera viewfinder etc, as others could. So as soon as I could afford them
got contact lenses. So then had 'normal' vision.

Of course many years later the normal thing happened - I started to lose
the ability to focus close - reading, etc. But simple reading specs worked
fine.

Now at my age being able to focus *at all* is a thing of the past - but
at least with both eyes matching and 'standard' due to the contact lenses
I just have several sets of different strength specs for all uses. One for
reading, one for the computer, and one for very close work.

I'm very glad I don't have to use varifocals. ;-)

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

adrian wrote:
HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

I find that I have to do similar. I have used varifocals for the last 20
years and in that time have found that not all varifocals are born equal.
Due to their cost (mine include being chromatic and scratch resistent), I
tried Vision Express and Spec Savers as cheaper alternatives to D&A. Neither
were satisfactory and were costly distractions. An imperative for me is to
be able to look into the right hand "wing" mirror when driving, (that dates
me) particularly on a motorway to ensure that it is safe to overtake. I
found that the options from VE and SS had the close vision area too widely
banded so that my periferal distance vision was unsatisfactory in this
respect.

The greatest disadvantage that I find to varifocals is going down steps and
in my relaxation, accommodating the height difference between a boat and the
pontoon/ harbour. To observers of such acts, they might think that I am
older or more infirm than I really am!

They were from an independent opticians - so fairly pricey.
Think I'll go for a single fixed prescription again when it's time
for replacement.... expensive learning experience ! g

If you do need varifocals so that you can see the dashboard and distance, or
similar on boats as I do, persist, it comes with time and trial.

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

adrian wrote:
Hi Andrew

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"adrian" wrote in message
HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

I have a similar TShirt. It's glasses off and just watch that you don't sand
the end of your nose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
adrian wrote:
HI John

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

A valuable post, thank you. Sadly not for me as I need assistance at both
ends of the spectrum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Agreed, I had the same experience.

What you are experiencing has happened to me fairly regularly after
having a new pair of glasses (especially when I moved to a smaller
frame (and lenses) - and is happening at the moment as I'm sat here
typing this and also looking at a 19" screen.

Possibly puzzled by this. Why did you wish to move to smaller lenses? Is it
because of their weight? If so, I had that problem and moved to plastic but
still have lenses the size of the last Tory PM's, (he must be a grey man, I
cannot at the moment recall his name).

As a matter of interest, I bought my first pair of varifocals also
from Specsavers (with plastic lenses) because of my usual optician's
high prices, and I had nothing but trouble with the damn things.

See my previous comments to the OP.

After about a year problems, I went back to the 'old firm' and got a
new pair with genuine Varilux glass lenses [1] and there was a 100%
improvement - and I got used to these very quickly indeed.

As a glasses wearer of some 40 years, I find glass optically better
(and less trouble) than plastic lenses - even though they are far
dearer (last pair of glasses cost me around £320).

My last plastic, about 3 years ago were £350 so about the same.

Hope this is of some help

Ditto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 May 2009 22:41:42 +0100, "newshound"
had this to say:

I've found the best solution is to have a single prescription pair for
computer work, varifocals for everything else. I suspect varifocals with a
wider mid-range band would compromise distance and close up use. The "sales"
staff won't necessarily really understand the optics behind varifocals, and
the difference between the various options. I've just moved to Specsavers
from a local chain and was quite pleased at the lack of hard sell for more
expensive options.

I find varifocals very disconcerting when trying to, for example,
'draw' a straight line on a piece of paper or similar such as a bit of
board, where it appears as a curve, particularly if you have a quite
different (one or two dioptres) specification for astigmatism,
especially for eyes wot see quite differently.

I rely on a local independent optometrist, who (in my case) recommends
toric contact lenses for normal use, "monovision", with the dominant
eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading.

Bring back monocles!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:11:49 UTC, Frank Erskine
wrote:

I find varifocals very disconcerting when trying to, for example,
'draw' a straight line on a piece of paper or similar such as a bit of
board, where it appears as a curve, particularly if you have a quite
different (one or two dioptres) specification for astigmatism,
especially for eyes wot see quite differently.

I rely on a local independent optometrist, who (in my case) recommends
toric contact lenses for normal use, "monovision", with the dominant
eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading.

Bring back monocles!

Funny you should say that....I'm looking for a prescription monocle...

Anyone know of a supplier? All I could find when I last Googled was the
(admittedly useful) monocles to allow you to read the text on a mobile
phone...

I only really need one lens...and it'd be nice and portable...
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

I rely on a local independent optometrist, who (in my case) recommends
toric contact lenses for normal use, "monovision", with the dominant
eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading.

My local optician recommended that I didn't have torics..
he said they can wobble each time you blink and that I was so sensitive to
the angle it would make me ill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

I rely on a local independent optometrist, who (in my case) recommends
toric contact lenses for normal use, "monovision", with the dominant
eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading.

My local optician recommended that I didn't have torics.. he said they
can wobble each time you blink and that I was so sensitive to the angle
it would make me ill.

Depending on which side of the cornea the distortion occurs - it could be
the front, back or both, a plain spherical hard lens could sort it - if
it's mainly on the front. The contact lens becomes an extension of the
cornea. That's how mine works - but not with soft lenses.
Snag with hard lenses is they take some getting used to. Benefit is they
last a long time if looked after so the 'running costs' are less than with
specs. My contact lens prescription hasn't changed in 40 years.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 May 2009 22:50:46 +0100, "nightjar".me.uk wrote:

I simply have never got on with varifocals. They made me nauseous when I
wore them

Had to have 'em last year having got fed up with the 8" wide dead band
where I couldn't focus with or without my normal single vision specs. When
I first put 'em on and moved about I did have a few "funny moments" as the
world apparently swayed alarmingly but that didn't last more than a few
hours before my brain got used to it.

and I found the position I needed to hold my head to focus on things
quite unnatural.

I wonder if the lenses were fitted into the frame and the frame fitted to
your head properly. The alignment is fairly critical so that you are
looking through the right part of the lens for the right focus distance.
Relaxed straight ahead through the middle of the lens should be
"distance", you then just look down (not move the head) to use the lower
part of the lens for "close". You can move your head up/down to adjust the
focus point for intermediate distances, this does take a bit of getting
used to.

I just have different glasses for different purposes. However, as I have
+11 correction,

I'd hate to have different specs. Hopefully I'll be OK with varifocal from
now on but then I'm only +5. +11 is very high and might be why you
couldn't get on with them, my world is barrel shaped and changes shape as
my head turns but it doesn't bother me. Your world must be even more
distorted at the edges.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 May, 00:11, Frank Erskine wrote:

I rely on a local independent optometrist, who (in my case) recommends
toric contact lenses for normal use, "monovision", with the dominant
eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading.

I suppose that must be what what one optician tried on me. It was fine
in principle and saved having to use reading specs. However, it must
have been the right eye that was adjusted for reading, and resulted in
a greatly decreased peripheral vision necessary to notice traffic
coming from the right when stepping off the pavement, and some
concerns, when driving, about being fully aware of traffic coming from
the right at roundabouts. Went back (rather quickly) to distance
contact lenses and reading specs.

Toom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toom Tabard" wrote in message
On 27 May, 00:11, Frank Erskine wrote:

I rely on a local independent optometrist, who (in my case) recommends
toric contact lenses for normal use, "monovision", with the dominant
eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading.

I suppose that must be what what one optician tried on me. It was fine
in principle and saved having to use reading specs. However, it must
have been the right eye that was adjusted for reading, and resulted in
a greatly decreased peripheral vision necessary to notice traffic
coming from the right when stepping off the pavement, and some
concerns, when driving, about being fully aware of traffic coming from
the right at roundabouts. Went back (rather quickly) to distance
contact lenses and reading specs.

There are a couple of common ways to get long and close vision with
contacts..

use a different lens power in each eye.

use lenses with two power zones.

The first sounds like what you had.
The second gives you the ability to focus near and far but it does reduce
the contrast.
Its done by having concentric rings of different power.

Toom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

--
John Stumbles

Question Authority

The lenses in my varifocals were changed as my eyesight had altered. The
new lenses were a different make which the optician suggested. I find them
better than the Varilux(?) lenses that I had before.

Only part of my 20" computer screen is in focus at any one time.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2009 11:59:57 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

[...]

I have worn varifocals for many years now.
When I first got them, instead of bi-focals, I had trouble for several
weeks particularly with curved verticals, but I persisted and it went away.
Now they are like plain glass to me and I am not conscious of having to
hold my head in any particular position.

My wife on the other hand has to have Rodenstock? or she cannot cope. They
are more expensive!

However the centres (of the lenses), both horizontally and vertically must
be marked up correctly by the optician/assistant (to the millimetre).
My last pair were marked wrongly and I couldn't understand why things were
'not right'. I asked for a re-test and they changed them straight away and
they reglazed my previous pair for free so I had them done as prescription
sunglasses.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

Having had varifocals for many years, I find them absolutely fine
for every day use. My most recent pairs have had fairly shallow
frames, but the technology can cope these days. Having a
reasonably powerful prescription, smaller frames means lighter,
and less visually obtrusive, lenses.

However, my deteriorating eyesight and larger monitors mean that
I find it far more comfortable to have a single vision pair
optimised for about 50 cm. With the deals available, this pair
cost very little. When I was working, I could even get such a
pair funded for computer use. Also great for seeing to fill
cracks in ceilings.

I also have another single vision pair for distance use, which I
find better for the cinema or theatre, especially if I may have
to tilt my head slightly to see over heads.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
Just got a pair of varifocals. It's nice to be able to see small print
close up and still see into the distance with the same pair of glasses on,
but at computer-screen distance they seem to have a very narrow horizontal
field over which they focus properly, so even over half a 19" screen width
a line of text isn't all in focus at the same time.

I got the second-from-most-expensive model from specsavers as they
cautioned that the cheapest had very narrow horizontal ranges of focus and
the range got wider as one paid more. What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

Trouble is, a computer screen isn't positioned where you normally
read. Now that we have flat screens rather than giant valves,
how about trying to lay one down and read it more like you would
a book or piece of paper, rather than standing it up like we did
the valve monitors because they had a bulbus rear end?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
Cash wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Snipped for brevity

Possibly puzzled by this. Why did you wish to move to smaller lenses?
Is it because of their weight? If so, I had that problem and moved to
plastic but still have lenses the size of the last Tory PM's, (he
must be a grey man, I cannot at the moment recall his name).

Moved to smaller lenses becuause of the cost. The *Varilux* glass lenses
are priced by the size band that they are in. These lenses are also far
thinner and lighter than the 'standard' glass varifocal lenses.

As a matter of interest, I bought my first pair of varifocals also
from Specsavers (with plastic lenses) because of my usual optician's
high prices, and I had nothing but trouble with the damn things.

See my previous comments to the OP.

Snipped for brevity

As a glasses wearer of some 40 years, I find glass optically better
(and less trouble) than plastic lenses - even though they are far
dearer (last pair of glasses cost me around £320).

My last plastic, about 3 years ago were £350 so about the same.

I'm not fussed with plastic lenses at all, as I find them optically less
clear and easy to scratch - amongst other moans about them.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from adrian contains these words:

I still find it more comfortable for
many close-up tasks to take the glases off altogether (which was why
I was recommended varifocals in the first place)..

They were from an independent opticians - so fairly pricey.
Think I'll go for a single fixed prescription again when it's time for
replacement.... expensive learning experience ! g

With varifocals there's only so much of a difference that they can make
between the distance section of the lens and the close-up section, so if
you've got a fairly strong presrcription for distance vision you can
only have a weak prescription for near vision.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
[...]

Firstly if you use a computer at work then you can get free glasses for
computer use, unless they have changed the rules since I was a working man.
Secondly I use varifocals, I was fed up of sitting on whichever pair of
specs I was not using. I found then good from the beginning, though to
me there are 2 disadvantages. When reversing a car one tends to look out
the side of the glasses, so the focus is not good. Also a lot of DIY is
difficult as some jobs require the eyes to look where the correct focus
is not.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Secondly I use varifocals, I was fed up of sitting on whichever pair of
specs I was not using. I found then good from the beginning, though to
me there are 2 disadvantages. When reversing a car one tends to look out
the side of the glasses, so the focus is not good.

I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Secondly I use varifocals, I was fed up of sitting on whichever pair of
specs I was not using. I found then good from the beginning, though to
me there are 2 disadvantages. When reversing a car one tends to look out
the side of the glasses, so the focus is not good.

I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

Well the near vision area of mine doesn't obscure the view outside the car
and the transition zone between near and distance lines up with the
dashboard which is handy. I did go for the largest lenses I could get
though so the near vision part is well below the normal line of sight.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:14:21 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Trouble is, a computer screen isn't positioned where you normally
read. Now that we have flat screens rather than giant valves,
how about trying to lay one down and read it more like you would
a book or piece of paper, rather than standing it up like we did
the valve monitors because they had a bulbus rear end?

Mine's a giant valve :-(

--
John Stumbles

My other sigs are posh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May 2009 18:41:19 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

What would folks expect? Should they
have a better range?

the bigger the lens the better in my experience. I prefer to use a
pair of reading glasses for the PC or reading, varifocals for anything
else including driving and TV.
--
allthumbs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Secondly I use varifocals, I was fed up of sitting on whichever pair
of specs I was not using. I found then good from the beginning,
though to me there are 2 disadvantages. When reversing a car one
tends to look out the side of the glasses, so the focus is not good.

I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent
all round vision for that.

Elaborate on that statement please Dave.

I use my Varilux varifocals every waking minute of the day or night Dave (I
bloody well have to), including driving in all conditions - and I have no
problem with "all round vision" - and have done so since I got my first pair
way back in the last century.

The problems many people have with varifocals is that:

A - they don't give themselves enough time to get used to them (especially
after changing from single vision lenses).

B - they don't turn their heads to 'line up' the various 'segments' of the
lenses (the only move their eyes).

C - very often the go for the cheapest price possible - which is very often
reflected (no pun intended) in the quality of the lenses.

D - they dont follow the instructions for use tha usually come with new
lenses.

E - they don't clean them properly or often enough, which can lead to
problematical focus and eye-strain because of light reflections.

And lastly - they don't go back to the optician to get things checked out if
they are still having problems after about a month at the most.

I really would be interested to read your reasons Dave for making that
statement.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:22:57 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

I do, my only pair of specs. Less strain in reading the instruments. The
near vision area is less than thumb print lower center of each lens. Sides
and top are all distance.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:51:15 +0100, Broadback had
this to say:

Firstly if you use a computer at work then you can get free glasses for
computer use,

Free, unless you're self-employed...

--
Frank Erskine