Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default varifocals

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:51:15 +0100, Broadback had
this to say:

Firstly if you use a computer at work then you can get free glasses for
computer use,

Free, unless you're self-employed...

But then they are tax deductable as is all necessary safety gear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2009 21:27:08 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:51:15 +0100, Broadback had
this to say:

Firstly if you use a computer at work then you can get free glasses for
computer use,

Free, unless you're self-employed...

But then they are tax deductable as is all necessary safety gear.

Maybe if you're a slef-employed computer person you might get away with it
but as a plumber I doubt HMRC (or my accountant) would give me the time of
day on that one.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Secondly I use varifocals, I was fed up of sitting on whichever pair of
specs I was not using. I found then good from the beginning, though to
me there are 2 disadvantages. When reversing a car one tends to look out
the side of the glasses, so the focus is not good.

I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

|You obviously don't have eye problems.

You tell me how one set of glasses can keep both infinity in focus, and
the dashboard.

PC plod isn't likely to take 'the speedo is all blurry' as an excuse..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:22:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

the only problem with driving is reversing, when you tend to look out
of the edge of the glasses, just make sure you get big enough glass
(top gun style is ideal IMHO) so that the "reading" part isn't set to
far up. Then you will be able to see everything.
They do of course make some people feel seasick at first.
--
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

|You obviously don't have eye problems.

You tell me how one set of glasses can keep both infinity in focus, and
the dashboard.

I have no problems 'reading' the dashboard without reading specs. Even
although I do need them for ordinary reading.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving.

Don't be ridiculous.

I've not tried it but my brother has - and went back to his ordinary
distance glasses for driving.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving.

Don't be ridiculous.

I've not tried it but my brother has - and went back to his ordinary
distance glasses for driving.

I found (somewhat suprisingly) that the edge of the bonnet bisects the view
through the lens, such that all the ouside viewing is done through the
distance part and the reading part is confined to the dashboard, as Huge
said. I would say I found driving to be the most ideally suited activity for
varifocals, rather than the least, the least being reading the paper (for me
it's easier to take them off) and using a control desk with equipment above
head height.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May 2009 11:18:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

Me too. To the extent I had some varifocal sunglasses made up for driving.

me too! Perfect.
--
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:52:29 +0100, Allthumbs wrote:

the only problem with driving is reversing, when you tend to look out
of the edge of the glasses,

I use the mirrors, all three of them, much better visibilty that way. I do
turn my head to look further away but none of that craning round trying to
be an owl. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

|You obviously don't have eye problems.

You tell me how one set of glasses can keep both infinity in focus, and
the dashboard.

I have no problems 'reading' the dashboard without reading specs. Even
although I do need them for ordinary reading.

You arenmt old enough then ! I need specs to see infinity. specs to read
supermarket labels, specs to read/compute with and specs to do detailed
work.

Roughly, 0.5, 1.5.2.5 and 3.5 diopters, respectively.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 21:27:08 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:51:15 +0100, Broadback had
this to say:

Firstly if you use a computer at work then you can get free glasses for
computer use,
Free, unless you're self-employed...

But then they are tax deductable as is all necessary safety gear.

Maybe if you're a slef-employed computer person you might get away with it
but as a plumber I doubt HMRC (or my accountant) would give me the time of
day on that one.

I don't see why you can't claim for health and safety. The HSE would
back you up on that.

Does a self emplyed building worker not claim for health and saftey
boots and helmet. Once they get a hit, they have to be replaced.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I'd hope no one uses varifocals for driving. You should have decent all
round vision for that.

|You obviously don't have eye problems.

You tell me how one set of glasses can keep both infinity in focus, and
the dashboard.

I have no problems 'reading' the dashboard without reading specs. Even
although I do need them for ordinary reading.

Before last September, I had 20 20 vision in my left eye and I could
read a real ale pump clip from 5 yards away and tell you the ABV of the
beer.

Since my op for a detached retina, the sight in that eye has fallen very
slightly, not enough to stop me driving, but I can't read the ABV anymore.

After the op for the detached retina, the surgeon inserted a bubble in
my eye that was used to press the retina back onto my eye ball. This
caused me some dificulty in reading the dash for a couple of weeks with
that eye, but the other one cut in then.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
I have heard it is possible to get bifocals the wrong way round, which
would be a useful option if needing to do a lot of overhead work.

A friend's husband has a pair like that, for car repair.

Didn't whatshisname the snooker player have something similar?

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
I have heard it is possible to get bifocals the wrong way round, which
would be a useful option if needing to do a lot of overhead work.

A friend's husband has a pair like that, for car repair.

Didn't whatshisname the snooker player have something similar?

DEniis someoneonerother.