Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos removal costs?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:25:25 +0100, mechanic wrote:

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much free
time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round here is far
too busy to do so.

If you're very good, you don't need to work all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:08:44 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 12/07/2018 11:50, mechanic wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:14:51 +0100, newshound wrote:

I don't know if they insist on double bagging, but I suppose you
only need to use "their" bag for the outside.

Why don't you ask them? Or the local environment protection people?

Yup worth doing...

Are you seriously going to rely on the advice from a d-i-y group?

In many cases yes, why not? Ultimately you are not taking advice from a
faceless "group", but from individuals - many of whom have professional
experience in a range of disciplines. If you have been around here a
while you soon learn which can be relied on for sound advice on various
topics.

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts
have so much free time to comment in newsgroups.

With many of them, they are now retired or semi retired.

Any decent plumber etc. round here is far too busy to do so.

And yet Adam manages fine. And so does the medway
handyman, and even manages to troll about cyclists as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2018 11:50, mechanic wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:14:51 +0100, newshound wrote:

I don't know if they insist on double bagging, but I suppose you
only need to use "their" bag for the outside.

Why don't you ask them? Or the local environment protection people?
Are you seriously going to rely on the advice from a d-i-y group?

I'm not the OP. I don't currently have any to dispose of. I'm just
reporting what I know of the policy in *my* area for general interest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 11:25:26 UTC+1, mechanic wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:08:44 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/07/2018 11:50, mechanic wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 09:14:51 +0100, newshound wrote:

Are you seriously going to rely on the advice from a d-i-y group?

In many cases yes, why not? Ultimately you are not taking advice from a
faceless "group", but from individuals - many of whom have professional
experience in a range of disciplines. If you have been around here a
while you soon learn which can be relied on for sound advice on various
topics.

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much
free time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round
here is far too busy to do so.

I can think of a few reasons. I know what mine are for having the time. IIUC you can't think of any.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 11:29:09 UTC+1, mechanic wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 17:21:07 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

hard to find a better place for diy enquiries. Perhaps 'mechanic'
knows of one.

Not really relevant, mate. Here we are talking about regulations
regarding safe transport and disposal of hazardous material, not
about laying bricks.

so you don't know of one

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 11:38, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:25:25 +0100, mechanic wrote:

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much free
time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round here is far
too busy to do so.

If you're very good, you don't need to work all the time.

If you're really clever, you get other people to do the
work for you :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:16:20 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

In many cases yes, why not? Ultimately you are not taking advice from a
faceless "group", but from individuals - many of whom have professional
experience in a range of disciplines. If you have been around here a
while you soon learn which can be relied on for sound advice on various
topics.

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts
have so much free time to comment in newsgroups.

With many of them, they are now retired or semi retired.

While you are just a senile pesky lonely self-opinionated idiot and troll
that obviously nobody wants to talk to in real life!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 11:25, mechanic wrote:
Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much
free time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round
here is far too busy to do so.

I'm a highly paid (and I think skilled) in another are entirely.

I too can read this as relaxation. Occasionally I can help someone.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 21:34:33 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:
On Friday, 13 July 2018 11:25:26 UTC+1, mechanic wrote:

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much
free time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round
here is far too busy to do so.

I can think of a few reasons. I know what mine are for having the time. IIUC you can't think of any.

NT

No he said "highly skilled expert" not "armchair trolling dullard"...

then quit posting

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:09:39 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 13/07/2018 11:38, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:25:25 +0100, mechanic wrote:

Hmm, I often wonder why such highly skilled experts have so much free
time to comment in newsgroups. Any decent plumber etc. round here is far
too busy to do so.

If you're very good, you don't need to work all the time.

If you're really clever, you get other people to do the
work for you :-)

That's when you really get busy!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2018 23:53, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/07/2018 09:28, Martin Brown wrote:

Even with DIY you will have to double bag in approved pink bags and
pay per bag at the tip for asbestos waste unless you intend to fly tip.

It depends on your council. Ours requires asbestos cement sheets to be
double bagged and placed in their dedicated, closed topped, asbestos
skip. They do not require any specific type of bag and they do not
charge householders.

I thought pink bags for asbestos waste and double bagging was an
absolute requirement (and has been for some time).

Ours now charges for all forms of hardcore and requires plasterboard to
be in the same zone as the asbestos waste and with OTT weigh in weigh
out procedures for even the tiniest amounts. Even I am not that diligent
and the new policy has had exactly the opposite effect of its intention.

Namely small amounts of plasterboard waste in the black bin.

Worse we now get industrial levels of fly tipping along the country
lanes - so bad that we are running camera traps now.

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/new...hire-and-york/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2018 12:25, wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 09:28:13 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/07/2018 19:53, tabbypurr wrote:

I'd expect a **** taking price like 1.3k or 3k. It's one reason we
diy. DIYing it'll cost you petrol to the nearest tip & some rubbish
bags.

The lower of the two probably isn't all that outrageous if they are
doing it safely. You only get a pair of lungs and dying of asbestosis or
worse mesothelioma is extremely unpleasant. The risk from asbestos
cement board is much less than from fibrous lagging but still not zero.

With cement board that's not disintegrating it's as near to zero as it gets.

So long as you don't do anything to it then I would agree. But once you
disturb it then all bets are off as getting nails and screws out will
smash up at least some of the board. Also the usual reason for replacing
it is that it has started to lose integrity and the roof is leaking.

It cost Malcolm McLaren his life. How lucky do you feel punk?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...n-1941253.html

your link gives no evidence whatever that it cost him his life. Just someone's guess.

Exposure to blue asbestos at some point did. The latency period from
exposure to fatality can be as much as 40 years. It is hard to prove
causality so long after the event but the signature is unmistakable.

I would be prepared to DIY but I have access to a disposable boilersuit,
respirator and know how to do it. I wouldn't recommend it for DIY.

Even with DIY you will have to double bag in approved pink bags and pay
per bag at the tip for asbestos waste unless you intend to fly tip.

which costs next to nothing.

It depends how cavalier you are about handling potentially dangerous
materials. You never really know what proportion of the really nasty
stuff is present in any particular batch of material. Bound together
with cement it isn't too bad but the dust is potentially lethal - it
will take a long time though.

A similar issue is lurking with talk where a trace of asbestos fibre is
certainly present in industrial grades and has been suspected of causing
cancer in the cosmetic grade as J&J have recently lost a US court case.

https://news.sky.com/story/johnson-j...-case-11435490

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2018 14:16, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/07/2018 23:53, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/07/2018 09:28, Martin Brown wrote:

Even with DIY you will have to double bag in approved pink bags and
pay per bag at the tip for asbestos waste unless you intend to fly tip.

It depends on your council. Ours requires asbestos cement sheets to be
double bagged and placed in their dedicated, closed topped, asbestos
skip. They do not require any specific type of bag and they do not
charge householders.

I thought pink bags for asbestos waste and double bagging was an
absolute requirement (and has been for some time).

From a link on our council's website:

"It must be double wrapped in heavy duty plastic wrapping prior to
arriving at site. You can also use household rubble sacks that can be
bought from supermarkets and other outlets, as long as the cement bonded
asbestos is contained, double wrapped and sealed within the bags. You
will need to take your recent council tax bill or utility bill relating
to the property where the waste is from."

Ours now charges for all forms of hardcore and requires plasterboard to
be in the same zone as the asbestos waste and with OTT weigh in weigh
out procedures for even the tiniest amounts. Even I am not that diligent
and the new policy has had exactly the opposite effect of its intention.

Namely small amounts of plasterboard waste in the black bin.

No extra charges here - except for garden waste collection (it is still
"free" if you take it yourself).

Plasterboard is supposed to be bagged separately to other waste. I
agree, it is counterproductive and for small amounts just pushes people
to stick it in with the rest of the waste when it could have been placed
loose into the plasterboard skip - as they used to allow.

Worse we now get industrial levels of fly tipping along the country
lanes - so bad that we are running camera traps now.

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/new...hire-and-york/

We get a fair bit too, but at least individual householders can still
take pretty well anything to the tip themselves.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 July 2018 14:22:09 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 11/07/2018 12:25, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I shall clarify. Loose asbestos fibres are a danger, in cement bound sheets they're not. That is why no license, training or notification is required for the removal of cement sheet.

NT