Jim Tiberio

Default Asbestos removal

My basement has very old asbestos ceiling tiles. Other than calling in a
company to remove them what other options do I have? Removal won't be a
problem as I can air the basement out fairly well. I have removed several
tiles so far for various reasons and the just pop out in one piece because
the nails are barely holding them in. My intent is to wear a mask, soak
them with a sprayed on solution of Palmalive and water (per the advice of
our duct cleaner) and pop them off. This is where I get stumped. Should
there be any particles can I use a common shop vac to clean it up and where
can I dispose of the tiles? I just have a hard time paying nearly $800 to
have these things removed when I can do it on a Saturday afternoon myself.

--
Jim Tiberio
1st American Mortgage

jim

Jim Tiberio wrote:

[...]

call up the EPA (environmental Protection Agency) in your state and ask
them what is the fine for not following the rules for removing asbestos
material from your home... the fine might be higher than the cost of
getting it done correctly.... and you dont have to do it........
a lawyer was taking up asbestos tile in his office when renovating it...
EPA walked in on him and closed the place down and he was arrested and
charged(the state EPA agents).
Greg O

"jim" wrote in message ...
Jim Tiberio wrote:

[...]

Two completely differant situations!
Most areas allow home owners to remove asbestos from their homes. Removing
it from a bussiness requires a professional abatement company to come in.
I would check with you local building inspector. He should be able to tell
you what is the proper method for removal in your area.
If it was me I would just soak them down, bag them, and put them out with
the trash. At least in this area it is legal to do so.
Greg

Jim Tiberio

"jim" wrote in message ...
Jim Tiberio wrote:

[...]

I didn't know it was illegal to remove it yourself. I just thought dumping
it was illegal. That is why I asked where I could dump it.

Jim Tiberio

"Greg O" wrote in message

"jim" wrote in message ...
Jim Tiberio wrote:

[...]

That is what I keep hearing. In my town we have a free dump and they don't
check your vehicle. It didn't sound right though. I guess I'll call and
see. thanks guys.

DaveG

I didn't know it was illegal to remove it yourself. I just thought

dumping
it was illegal. That is why I asked where I could dump it.

Your state must have a hazardous waste control office, or something like

that. Call them and get the facts. They should be able to tell you if
homeowner asbestos removal is allowed, and may even be able to suggest legal
places for disposal.
Dave

Jim Tiberio

"Greg O" wrote in message
[...]

Well I didn't get in touch with the proper department in my town but I did
talk to someone even higher up the chain and they said to do what you told
me in limited amounts each week.

Greg O

"Jim Tiberio" wrote in message

Well I didn't get in touch with the proper department in my town but I did
talk to someone even higher up the chain and they said to do what you told
me in limited amounts each week.

LOL!!
Sounds like me and my on going basement remodel. Tore out walls, sheetrock,
studs, tons of debris. All went out into a pile along the house. Every
garbage can that went out had a bunch of it. Never took a bit of it to the
dump, just pecked away at it!
Greg