Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lift - Communication in emergency

Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to Ground
Level
Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a Phone number to call
in case of an emergency.
This implies to me that the Emergency System is not working. I believe the
regs say there should be a permanant means of communicating with the rescue
service. Ones mobile phone - if it would work, does not seem to be this
solution.

Speaking to the manager he didn't seem to understand my concer and though
te phone number was the Lift engineer!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I believe the regs say there should be a permanant means of
communicating with the rescue service

Exactly that, see sub-paragraph 5

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/1093/schedule/1/paragraph/5/made

Ask him to check with head office what their public liability insurers
think ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 16:37:39 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to Ground
Level
Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a Phone number to call
in case of an emergency.
This implies to me that the Emergency System is not working. I believe the
regs say there should be a permanant means of communicating with the rescue
service. Ones mobile phone - if it would work, does not seem to be this
solution.

Speaking to the manager he didn't seem to understand my concer and though
te phone number was the Lift engineer!

do mobiles work in metal lifts?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 17 June 2018 16:37:39 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to
Ground Level Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a
Phone number to call in case of an emergency. This implies to me that
the Emergency System is not working. I believe the regs say there
should be a permanant means of communicating with the rescue service.
Ones mobile phone - if it would work, does not seem to be this
solution.

Speaking to the manager he didn't seem to understand my concer and
though te phone number was the Lift engineer!

do mobiles work in metal lifts?

not if they are in the basement

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 17 June 2018 16:37:39 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to Ground
Level
Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a Phone number to
call
in case of an emergency.
This implies to me that the Emergency System is not working. I believe
the
regs say there should be a permanant means of communicating with the
rescue
service. Ones mobile phone - if it would work, does not seem to be this
solution.

Speaking to the manager he didn't seem to understand my concer and though
te phone number was the Lift engineer!

do mobiles work in metal lifts?

Doesnt with my mates, his call drops out when he
gets in the lift when talking to me on the mobile.

But presumably that varys with the lift construction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to Ground
Level
Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a Phone number to call
in case of an emergency.
This implies to me that the Emergency System is not working. I believe the
regs say there should be a permanant means of communicating with the rescue
service. Ones mobile phone - if it would work, does not seem to be this
solution.

Speaking to the manager he didn't seem to understand my concer and though
te phone number was the Lift engineer!

Did you not post this a month ago? If it wasn't you exactly the
same sign was seen and question posed here.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normally there is a sign which tells you about the intercom system, and I
understand its supposed to have at least 30 minutes of power after empower
failure. I'm not sure about the legal requirement but In Spain many years
ago, they had what looked like an old fashioned speaking tube device in a
little glass case on the wall of the lift with a little hammer to break the
glass. I do not speak Spanish so could not really get the point. Maybe its
for fires in a lift?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to Ground
Level
Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a Phone number to
call
in case of an emergency.
This implies to me that the Emergency System is not working. I believe the
regs say there should be a permanant means of communicating with the
rescue
service. Ones mobile phone - if it would work, does not seem to be this
solution.

Speaking to the manager he didn't seem to understand my concer and though
te phone number was the Lift engineer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

wrote in message
[...]

I wanted to find if there were any exceptions - the Store Manager has
been trying to phone me - I have been on holiday. Took a look this
morning and the paper sign has gone. Hopefully he will be admitting they
had got things wrong as the responses confirm there is no "get-out" for
lifts of "pre-whatever date".
Thanks.