Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering over previously wallpapered plasterboars

I have a ceiling that originally had a wallpaper covering over the
plasterboard. This has been stripped off and whilst doing so some of the
cardboard has been ripped off with it leaving a rough surface. It also
looks like its been painted before wallpapering. Will I be able to plaster
over it if I PVA it well? Or will it need to be reboarded?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1290366-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2018 06:44, Michelle Rossiter wrote:
I have a ceiling that originally had a wallpaper covering over the
plasterboard. This has been stripped off and whilst doing so some of the
cardboard has been ripped off with it leaving a rough surface. It also
looks like its been painted before wallpapering. Will I be able to plaster
over it if I PVA it well? Or will it need to be reboarded?

From experience. I'd be inclined to get a quote to overboard and skim.
Then work out if the effort and likely result in patching the existing
would be worth it. And then factor in if any further cracks might appear.

Or, rip the existing down and board/skim. But factor in some grotesque
mess, especially if it's an older home.

IIRC it was about £300 to overboard/skim a 5m x 4m room and takes a day.
They've worked really well in my house, and the plasterer somehow got it
to merge into ornate coving. Small gains in sound and thermal insulation
too.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/18 06:44, Michelle Rossiter wrote:
I have a ceiling that originally had a wallpaper covering over the
plasterboard. This has been stripped off and whilst doing so some of the
cardboard has been ripped off with it leaving a rough surface. It also
looks like its been painted before wallpapering. Will I be able to plaster
over it if I PVA it well? Or will it need to be reboarded?

Having done exactly this:

Strip the paper.

Wash the paste off - this is VITAL - paste will not form a stable layer
to paster onto. It is also an utter and tedious bitch to do. I found
much could be removed with a steam stripper and scraper. The rest (or
all, but it's harder) can be done with a "holey" floor cloth (the rough
old fashioned mesh type), hot water and sugar soap (I have used Flash,
but sugar soap does still a better job if you have it).

You need to wash, rinse, wash until the surface stops feeling slimy.

After that, dry, scrape off any loose paint, PVA and plaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 May 2018 11:07:00 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Paper is a significant part of the strength of PB. But PVA can do much the same job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michelle Rossiter
m writes
I have a ceiling that originally had a wallpaper covering over the
plasterboard. This has been stripped off and whilst doing so some of the
cardboard has been ripped off with it leaving a rough surface. It also
looks like its been painted before wallpapering. Will I be able to plaster
over it if I PVA it well? Or will it need to be reboarded?

Are we talking about large areas here, or just the odd patch? I had PB
that had odd patches of the paper torn off, so filled with ready mixed
fine plaster, which worked well. Actually worked better than expected,
given that I have tried 'proper' plastering in the past, and failed
miserably.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 28/05/18 18:58, wrote:
[...]

I meant strip the wallpaper.

Did someone really think you meant strip the paper off the
plasterboard? :-DD

I was assuming that would come off clean
(the PB being either skimmed or painted).

As per the op it was painted and paper has mostly come off apart
from a few chewed up bits of pboard - "gouges" from a stripping
knife I would expect?....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 May 2018 23:35:07 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 28/05/18 18:58, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

seems unlikely. Usually stripping wallpaper brings off some of the pb paper too.

I was assuming that would come off clean
(the PB being either skimmed or painted).

As per the op it was painted and paper has mostly come off apart
from a few chewed up bits of pboard - "gouges" from a stripping
knife I would expect?....

as I'd expect.

NT