Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Plastering over previously wallpapered plasterboars

On 28/05/2018 06:44, Michelle Rossiter wrote:
I have a ceiling that originally had a wallpaper covering over the
plasterboard. This has been stripped off and whilst doing so some of the
cardboard has been ripped off with it leaving a rough surface. It also
looks like its been painted before wallpapering. Will I be able to plaster
over it if I PVA it well? Or will it need to be reboarded?

From experience. I'd be inclined to get a quote to overboard and skim.
Then work out if the effort and likely result in patching the existing
would be worth it. And then factor in if any further cracks might appear.

Or, rip the existing down and board/skim. But factor in some grotesque
mess, especially if it's an older home.

IIRC it was about £300 to overboard/skim a 5m x 4m room and takes a day.
They've worked really well in my house, and the plasterer somehow got it
to merge into ornate coving. Small gains in sound and thermal insulation
too.

--
Cheers, Rob