Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Took the guard off my big strimmer

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2018 19:43, Bill Wright wrote:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill

gawd you make me laff bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill

You did video this didn't you?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K Wrote in message:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill

You did video this didn't you?

If it's not on YouTube it didn't happen. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2018 20:25, Jim K wrote:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill

You did video this didn't you?

Tried to do a video selfie but dropped the iPhone and it nearly got well
strimmed.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 19/05/2018 20:25, Jim K wrote:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill

You did video this didn't you?

Tried to do a video selfie but dropped the iPhone and it nearly got well
strimmed.

Bill

Very silly thing I once did when young was attach a small circular saw
blade to one of those flexidrives you can use with a drill by mounting the
blade on a nut and bolt that was gripped by the chuck.
Intention was to use it in a confined space.
The chuck didnt grip the bolt terribly well and before long the blade
detached and bounced around the space like some sort of oriental weapon.
I was lucky to get away with just a minor cut.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2018 19:43:48 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it.

snip

Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it.

snip

Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Aren't these guards an EU requirement? Once we are free ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it.

snip

Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)

Aren't these guards an EU requirement?

I think they are a requirement when used in an 'official' capacity
yes.

Once we are free ....

I'm not sure if these things weren't brought in via the EU (that are
mostly requested by member states) they wouldn't be brought in by 'us'
(directly) in any case?

The thing is, I have no issue with anyone choosing to ignore any of
the (realistic / practical) safety guidelines as long as they are
equally happy to be ignored by the health system (that is paid for by
those who are still at work because they weren't stupid enough to take
liberties and become a burden for no reason).

So I agree with you though and (within reason [1]) I believe in many
cases that 'Darwin should still rule'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] If you actively take a guard off of something (whoever mandated it
should be there) and it results in you injuring yourself isn't quite
the same as say accidentally doing something with a chemical that
mixed with something else becomes dangerous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or if you are a council worker you wear huge boots, and a pair of goggles
and dent every care parked near the verge and sandblast all pedestrians,
and you do not hear them screen as the ear defenders are very effective
indeed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on open
ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off to
A & E now.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marland presented the following explanation :
The chuck didnt grip the bolt terribly well and before long the blade
detached and bounced around the space like some sort of oriental weapon.
I was lucky to get away with just a minor cut.

I needed to compact down some fine brick rubble between the 1" wide
gaps of paving slabs. Idea was to allow some drainage between the gaps.
I got the bright idea of welding a short bit of 1" steel rod onto an
old SDS chisel, with the intention of using the SDS on roto stop to
compact it down. I misunderstood the roto stop graphic on the side of
the SDS and set it for impact + rotation, so the first time I used it,
the rod rotated and gave my ankle a right wack and ripped the skin.

My 'compactor' worked absolutely fine, once my pain had subsided enough
to try it again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

The thing is, I have no issue with anyone choosing to ignore any of
the (realistic / practical) safety guidelines...

So I agree with you though and (within reason [1]) I believe in many
cases that 'Darwin should still rule'. ;-)

[1] If you actively take a guard off of something (whoever mandated it
should be there) and it results in you injuring yourself isn't quite
the same as say accidentally doing something with a chemical that
mixed with something else becomes dangerous.

Anybody watching Barnwood Builders? I'm not sure the concept of
Safe System of Work has ever troubled them.

They are pretty good with their chain saws, and even deployed an
18" hand-held circular saw, but no visible PPE.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
wrote:

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it.

snip
Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

Aren't these guards an EU requirement? Once we are free ....

Where are we going to mount the cord trimmer?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , GB
writes
wrote:

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it.
snip
Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

Aren't these guards an EU requirement? Once we are free ....

Where are we going to mount the cord trimmer?

Big toe?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2018 08:19:23 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Or if you are a council worker you wear huge boots,

Most do because they need to wear something and boots are provided
foc.

and a pair of goggles

More likely a visor, if they bother with anything.

and dent every care parked near the verge

More likely spray most cars with grass clippings and break the odd
window ...

and sandblast all pedestrians,

They are supposed to give people a chance to get past (stones and
noise) but many don't ...

and you do not hear them screen as the ear defenders are very effective
indeed.

Again, if they are wearing any ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Daughter only broke one window when strimming and that was in her
own van. ;-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it.

snip

Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)

Not too bad with a bit of mayo.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 May 2018 19:43:48 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Could have been worse, you might have broken your spectacles.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/05/2018 21:14, Bill Wright wrote:
On 19/05/2018 20:25, Jim K wrote:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on
open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a
half-brick and a mouth full of dog ****, but hey, it was worth it. Off
to A & E now.

Bill

You did video this didn't you?

Tried to do a video selfie but dropped the iPhone and it nearly got well
strimmed.

A pity you could then have bought an Android

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2018 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or if you are a council worker you wear huge boots, and a pair of goggles
and dent every care parked near the verge and sandblast all pedestrians,
and you do not hear them screen as the ear defenders are very effective
indeed.
Brian

Yep, the council workers I witness should be taking more care with
themselves and the people in their 'operating area'.

Over a period of 5 years, I was part of a hard-landscaping team that
did quite a bit of tidying up and we would use Stihl's industrial
strimmers. No one was ever hurt but, I did witness what these things can
throw up; then can launch a stone like a bullet.

A local greenkeeper had a nasty eye injury after a stone went through
his hi-grade face mask. Even being well prepared does not guarantee safety.

Ray.