Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paperback book glue.

Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open
some of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be
done to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or
something. I was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in
the hope that it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more
flexible again. But if course, it also might just make it all gooey,
and the pages might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

This issue is definitely a pain in the dong, along with publishers
having used non-acid-free paper in the past. My solution is to try only
to buy properly bound books, although those become harder to find as
the years go by.

I buy paperbacks simply because I need to maximise shelf space :-) I
don't mind them getting a bit scruffy, but having the pages fall out
definitely spoils one's enjoyment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

[...]

Get an e-reader then. ;-)

Tim

I have one, but it's a bit primitive, not as easy as just grabbing a
book, and hasn't really inspired me to use one regularly. In fact, my
'phone will function as an eReader, but I hardly ever have it switched
on - the battery keeps running down, and I don't pay it enough attention
to keep it charged :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Hmm, I'm not sure that paperbacks were ever intended to last for
long. They're the cheap disposable version of proper
books.

Tim

When I was a lad, walking into WH Smith, there were mostly only
paperbacks to choose from. Having just finished The Handmaid's Tale, I
thought it was time to reread my old copy of 1984 (much more believable,
I think). Unfortunately, as soon as I opened it, the spine cracked, and
a couple of pages fell out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I can hardly open some of my older books now without the spine
cracking, and a few pages falling out.

Anything here?

http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Book_%26_Paper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message news
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some of my older
books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages falling out. I was just
wondering if there's anything that can be done to prevent this, without boxing them up
in the loft, or something. I was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in
the hope that it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages might be even more
likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit longer?

Paperbacks are mainly "perfect bound". Which means the pages are
stacked together and cut with a guillotine and then a thick layer
of PVA type glue is applied to the back. Once this has dried then
a thicker sheet making up the front cover, spine, and back cover
will be folded and glued onto the spine.

For this reason its always necessary to be very careful when opening
(and reading) paperback books, in fact they should never be opened
fully, as can be sewn books. Basically if there are any creases on the
spine then that book has been opened too far.

While sections with photographs or other illustrations as can be found
in many paperbacks can present problems of their own

Most likely many people reading paperback books don't appreciate this
or abide by these conditions. Which are only mainly of interest to people
who collect books. The majority of paperbacks which can be bought
second hand in good uncreased condition have most likely never been
read.

As to your question there's no real solution. In the past when buying
a reading copy of a scare non fiction paperback title I've had to
settle for a copy with a badly cracked spine and loose pages.
From experience I found its well nigh impossible to glue on a
supplementary spine. Possibly with access to a combined bookbinding
press and power guillotine it might be possible, but otherwise not.
Unless you wanted to take up a new hobby, at least.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I can hardly open some of my older books now without the spine
cracking, and a few pages falling out.

Anything here?

http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Book_%26_Paper

Maybe. If not there, then I can't imagine where else :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've always been rather careful in that sense; and it made me stop
lending books to other people. But the cracks are becoming harder to
avoid in the older books. They have become rather brittle.

While sections with photographs or other illustrations as can be found
in many paperbacks can present problems of their own

Most likely many people reading paperback books don't appreciate this
or abide by these conditions. Which are only mainly of interest to people
who collect books. The majority of paperbacks which can be bought
second hand in good uncreased condition have most likely never been
read.

As to your question there's no real solution. In the past when buying
a reading copy of a scare non fiction paperback title I've had to
settle for a copy with a badly cracked spine and loose pages.
From experience I found its well nigh impossible to glue on a
supplementary spine. Possibly with access to a combined bookbinding
press and power guillotine it might be possible, but otherwise not.
Unless you wanted to take up a new hobby, at least.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2018 12:29:57 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

[...]

I bought a Kindle to maximise shelf space.

I have one, but I find that I still prefer books :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2018 12:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Section 3 of this rather good document would seem to offer some suggestions:

Book Repair Manual

http://www.lib.niu.edu/1995/il950276.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message news
Yes, I've always been rather careful in that sense; and it made me stop lending books
to other people. But the cracks are becoming harder to avoid in the older books. They
have become rather brittle.

Possibly the PVA is deteriorating.

Strangely enough Penguins and Pelicans from the 30's are still fine.
But then instead of their being perfect bound, the pages of those were
formed as folded sections which were then glued together. So its
impossible for individual pages to fall out. For thinner ones
they were even stapled through next to the spine, before the cover
was glued on.

The glue used was presumably tried and tested whereas once they
started experimenting with PVA and similar glues the results were
variable; although I can't say I've found any problems myself.

Nowadays even hardback - or rather "case bound" books can be perfect
bound rather than stitched. A nototrious example of this is the
large format hardback "U-Boat/Boot War/Kreig" published both in
Germany and the UK but printed in the US which is a fully illustrated
documentary account of Buchheim's actual mission on U96; on which the
film and novel "Das Boot" was based. Where there was obviousy a problem
with the glue given the propensity for odd pages to fall out. However
given that the number of U-Boat nuts who are also avid book collectors
is probably strictly limited, this is hardly an earth shattering
revelation.

Paper is another thing. Pre war Penguins can be found still, with
cream coloured pages at the worst. During wartime things deteriorated
a bit obviously. Brown flecks, sandpapar texture etc etc. And yet
even today Faber and Faber are regularly using paper for both their
h/b's and p/b's which can be almost guarenteed to have gone brown
within a couple of years.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 18/05/2018 12:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Section 3 of this rather good document would seem to offer some
suggestions:

Book Repair Manual

http://www.lib.niu.edu/1995/il950276.html

That's interesting. I've done similar things in the past (as have, I
guess, most people), but have not really cared how good it looked
afterwards. I just wanted to keep the things together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message news
Yes, I've always been rather careful in that sense; and it made me stop lending books
to other people. But the cracks are becoming harder to avoid in the older books. They
have become rather brittle.

Possibly the PVA is deteriorating.

I imagine it's drying out. If I could find something that would slowly
be absorbed back into it...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message news
Yes, I've always been rather careful in that sense; and it made me stop lending books
to other people. But the cracks are becoming harder to avoid in the older books.
They
have become rather brittle.

Possibly the PVA is deteriorating.

I imagine it's drying out. If I could find something that would slowly be absorbed
back into it...

You can't. My limited knowledge of the subject suggests that any type
of degradation in plastics of all kinds, is to all intents and purposes
irreversible. The only remedy is to try and prevent further degradation
by say painting plastic objects subject to UV.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2018 14:12, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/05/2018 12:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-)* I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out.* I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something.* I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
* But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Section 3 of this rather good document would seem to offer some
suggestions:

Book Repair Manual

http://www.lib.niu.edu/1995/il950276.html

What a superb link!

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 May 2018 12:11:03 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Angle grinder.
I had this problem. I clamped the book between bits of wood and ground the glue off with an angle grinder.
I then rubbed in silicon gunge to the ground edge, let set and then put on more silicon.
Still intact but hasn't been used much.
Evostick might have been better but it seems to have disappeared these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote

Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something.

You can remake the spine. What used to be called a maiden aunt
of mine used to run one of the last of the private lending librarys
and she showed me how to do that. Not trivial to do tho.

I was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the
hope that it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit
more flexible again. But if course, it also might just make it all
gooey, and the pages might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Don't break the spine when you read them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

[...]

ebooks work much better.

I don't mind them getting a bit scruffy, but having the pages fall out
definitely spoils one's enjoyment.

I dont see that with any that havent had their spines broken.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No way back in the 80s, when CP/M was even running on the Spectrum,
Locomotive made a manual for the system and Locomotive Basic.
Within about 3 weeks the pages started to fall out. its some kind of almost
stringy glue. I'm not convinced that paperback glue was ever any good. I
used to have them when I was at school to read when the sports were being
done, and even then pages fell out, heck some hardbacks did too if they were
of the rough paper kind.
It could be that it relies on the glue getting into the paper and some
paper is better than other paper.
I remember though that some kind of glue could be applied, but you had to
destroy the spine which then made it a little difficult to tell what the
book was.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages falling
out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done to prevent
this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I was considering
rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that it might soak in
over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again. But if course, it
also might just make it all gooey, and the pages might be even more likely
to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2018 12:29:57 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

[...]

I'm the other way. I get physical books much cheaper
at garage sales, mostly for $1-2 even for immaculate
hardcover non fiction, but much prefer to read ebooks
on the desktop 23" wide screen monitor now being
able to trivially check the dictionary, google and
wikipedia when reading and with it keeping track
of where I am up to over hundreds of books part
read and being able to keep reading on the iphone
in the doctors surgery etc while waiting and have
it read to me while driving etc. Leaves physical
books for dead and the spine is irrelevant etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 12:11:03 PM UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Extending the discussion slightly ...

I bind up large-ish 'books', made from sheets of A4 paper (printed manuals etc)
with a 'double fan binding press'. This is basically a jig used to hold the
paper 'block' which you bend it first one way (and brush the glue on), and then
the other way (again, brushing the glue on). In this way a small part of the
edge of each sheet (a small fraction of a mm) is coated with the glue, as well
as the very edge.

When combined with a strip of 'super' (thin muslin), I have used ordinary PVA
perfectly successfully for long-lasting, well-used tomes. It's a bit like the
binding style O'Reilly use for their computer books, if you know them.

I also occasionally re-bind paperbacks like this, although it is best to cut
back to fresh paper at the spine. Of course to then lose the spine part of the
cover, or have to cut it off and re-attach it. You really also need a 'plough
press' to do this neatly.

You can buy special bookbinding PVA, but I have never found the need. In fact
the cheap tubs of PVA sealant seem to work fine as well.

There is at least one plan for a double fan binding press on the web, but I
can't find it at the moment. If you look at a few pictures I am sure you can work it out.

Another idea, for 'at risk' paperbacks, is to make a few saw cuts across the
spine, about the depth of a piece of cotton string (1.5mm)? you then soak some
short lengths of said cotton in slightly thinned, PVA, and bed them into the
cuts. When the glue has dried you cut back the edges.

HTH
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

No way back in the 80s, when CP/M was even running on the Spectrum,
Locomotive made a manual for the system and Locomotive Basic.
Within about 3 weeks the pages started to fall out. its some kind of
almost stringy glue. I'm not convinced that paperback glue was ever any
good.

The DEC paperbacks from the 60s are still fine today.

Same with pre war Penguins too.

I used to have them when I was at school to read when the sports were
being done, and even then pages fell out,

Only if you break the spine.

heck some hardbacks did too if they were of the rough paper kind.

Yeah, some were perfect bound instead of stitched.

It could be that it relies on the glue getting into the paper and some
paper is better than other paper.

Not with proper hard backs, they were stitched, not glued.

I remember though that some kind of glue could be applied, but you had to
destroy the spine which then made it a little difficult to tell what the
book was.

Trivial now to copy the cover and spine before you
destroy it and print another onto heavier card etc.

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages falling
out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done to
prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I was
considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that it
might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again. But
if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages might be
even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/18 12:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-)Â* I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out.Â* I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something.Â* I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
Â*But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

1/. Dont read them
2/. Get them as ebooks instead.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/18 12:37, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dan S. MacAbre
wrote:

Here's a no doubt silly question :-)Â* I find that I can hardly open
some of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out.Â* I was just wondering if there's anything that can be
done to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or
something.Â* I was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in
the hope that it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more
flexible again.Â* But if course, it also might just make it all gooey,
and the pages might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

This issue is definitely a pain in the dong, along with publishers
having used non-acid-free paper in the past. My solution is to try only
to buy properly bound books, although those become harder to find as
the years go by.

I buy paperbacks simply because I need to maximise shelf space :-)

Get an e-reader then.Â* ;-)

Â*Tim

I have one, but it's a bit primitive, not as easy as just grabbing a
book, and hasn't really inspired me to use one regularly.

I have now over 10,000 ebooks gleaned frm wherever I can find them. I
canm read enm on any device with a CPU and a screen pretty much

In fact, my
'phone will function as an eReader, but I hardly ever have it switched
on - the battery keeps running down, and I don't pay it enough attention
to keep it charged :-)

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2018 12:11, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Here's a no doubt silly question :-)Â* I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages
falling out.Â* I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done
to prevent this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something.Â* I
was considering rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that
it might soak in over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again.
Â*But if course, it also might just make it all gooey, and the pages
might be even more likely to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/article...ks-and-papers/

If some pages fall out, I find it sometimes works to run the inside edge
of the page(s) through a blob of PVA or gum, insert into original
position. Close book and leave overnight under a heavy weight.

--
Oliver
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Oliver" wrote in message

If some pages fall out, I find it sometimes works to run the inside edge of the page(s)
through a blob of PVA or gum, insert into original position. Close book and leave
overnight under a heavy weight.

The problem with that solution I find, is that if you open the book sufficiently wide
to insert a page without touching the pages on the side on the way in, then you're
probably inflicting even further damage on the book.

Whereas even the slightest smigeon of PVA tranferred onto either of the adjacent
pages will leave you with pages stuck together.

That's the trouble with PVA in such situations - when its supposed to work by
permanently holding the pages of a book together it sometimes fails. Whereas
when you definitely don't want it to work - such that a microscopic amount won't
stick two adjacent pages together, it most definitely will.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2018 16:03, michael adams wrote:
"Oliver" wrote in message

If some pages fall out, I find it sometimes works to run the inside edge of the page(s)
through a blob of PVA or gum, insert into original position. Close book and leave
overnight under a heavy weight.

The problem with that solution I find, is that if you open the book sufficiently wide
to insert a page without touching the pages on the side on the way in, then you're
probably inflicting even further damage on the book.

Whereas even the slightest smigeon of PVA tranferred onto either of the adjacent
pages will leave you with pages stuck together.

That's the trouble with PVA in such situations - when its supposed to work by
permanently holding the pages of a book together it sometimes fails. Whereas
when you definitely don't want it to work - such that a microscopic amount won't
stick two adjacent pages together, it most definitely will.

I agree with you - I did write "sometimes". Depends on the original
binding, how tight etc. I have have some good successes as well as
failures - at least it's better than idiots who use sellotape on loose
pages.

My worst experience ever was with a class set of new Penguin War of the
Worlds. Pages falling out all over the classroom. Other Penguins were
much more robust. I've never analysed what the differences were in
binding methods, but the results were dramatically different.

--
Oliver
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I buy paperbacks simply because I need to maximise shelf space :-) I
don't mind them getting a bit scruffy, but having the pages fall out
definitely spoils one's enjoyment.

I bought a Kindle to maximise shelf space.

A waste paper basket does the same, or putting them in the pub library
where they can be swapped for another.
I got fed up with returning to reread a book after 5 years or so and
finding old pages that had yellowed and just felt tatty. If it is good
enough to reread then obtaining a newer copy that hasnt deteriorated isnt
usually that difficult.

GH