Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Paperback book glue.

No way back in the 80s, when CP/M was even running on the Spectrum,
Locomotive made a manual for the system and Locomotive Basic.
Within about 3 weeks the pages started to fall out. its some kind of almost
stringy glue. I'm not convinced that paperback glue was ever any good. I
used to have them when I was at school to read when the sports were being
done, and even then pages fell out, heck some hardbacks did too if they were
of the rough paper kind.
It could be that it relies on the glue getting into the paper and some
paper is better than other paper.
I remember though that some kind of glue could be applied, but you had to
destroy the spine which then made it a little difficult to tell what the
book was.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Here's a no doubt silly question :-) I find that I can hardly open some
of my older books now without the spine cracking, and a few pages falling
out. I was just wondering if there's anything that can be done to prevent
this, without boxing them up in the loft, or something. I was considering
rubbing some kind of oil on the back, in the hope that it might soak in
over time, and make the glue a bit more flexible again. But if course, it
also might just make it all gooey, and the pages might be even more likely
to fall out.

Has anyone else found anything that makes their paperbacks last a bit
longer?