Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap halogen lamps

If anyone still has any reason for halogen lamps, Homebase are dumping
them cheap (e.g. 6x 50W MR16s for £1) presumably in advance of the
September phase-out ...

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?q=halogen&sort=PriceAscending
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
If anyone still has any reason for halogen lamps, Homebase are dumping
them cheap (e.g. 6x 50W MR16s for £1) presumably in advance of the
September phase-out ...

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...PriceAscending

If they come from the same source as B&Q ones, a quid is far too expensive.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I never had any luck when using Halogen. the life of them always seemed to
short to me.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
If anyone still has any reason for halogen lamps, Homebase are dumping
them cheap (e.g. 6x 50W MR16s for £1) presumably in advance of the
September phase-out ...

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?q=halogen&sort=PriceAscending

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I never had any luck when using Halogen. the life of them always seemed to
short to me.

As I implied, shed ones. Or rather those from B&Q. Bought fittings with
lamps from B%Q. Fittings are nice enough, but all the original bulbs
failed within weeks. Replaced with ones from TLC which are still fine many
years later.

I still far prefer the light quality from halogen.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Bought fittings with lamps from B%Q. Fittings are nice enough, but
all the original bulbs failed within weeks. Replaced with ones from
TLC which are still fine many years later.

I bought one of those IKEA ceiling bars with multiple GU10s that can be
angled where required, it came with Osram lamps and I never had to
replace a single lamp in more than a decade. Maybe significant that it
was fitted upstairs, as I gather foot traffic from the floor above
causes significant "wobble" of warm filaments?

They have now all been replaced by LED GU10s anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 May 2018 18:43:33 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

If anyone still has any reason for halogen lamps, Homebase are dumping
them cheap (e.g. 6x 50W MR16s for £1) presumably in advance of the
September phase-out ...

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?

q=halogen&sort=PriceAscending

That link was no good on its own. I had to insert "50W MR16" in the
search box before finding a pack of 6 for £1.00.

The technical info and description were no help in establishing their
vital statistics (no voltage rating mentioned and the wrong wattage -
40W). However, if the picture is anything to go by (there's nothing
else), then they might come in handy as a pack of spares sometime during
the first decade or so that you might blow a 12v MR16 in your transformer
(50Hz or electronic) powered down-lighting setup. :-)

For just a quid, they're worth a punt, especially if they're actually
12v rather than the horribly fragile 240v lamps (mind you, even a box of
six 240v MR16s are worth splashing out a quid on, assuming you're cursed
by such 240v fittings that is!).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?q=halogen&sort=PriceAscending

That link was no good on its own. I had to insert "50W MR16" in the
search box before finding a pack of 6 for £1.00.

Assuming you didn't let it wrap where it shouldn't, it tested that it
worked before I sent it (in FF and IE) and it still works now in FF,
first item in second row.

The technical info and description were no help in establishing their
vital statistics (no voltage rating mentioned and the wrong wattage -
40W).

The title says 50W (the product details does contradict that at 40W) but
the photo shows 12V 50W.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 May 2018 18:56:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?

q=halogen&sort=PriceAscending

That link was no good on its own. I had to insert "50W MR16" in the
search box before finding a pack of 6 for £1.00.

Assuming you didn't let it wrap where it shouldn't, it tested that it
worked before I sent it (in FF and IE) and it still works now in FF,
first item in second row.

I guess you meant "Assuming your *newsreader* didn't wrap it where it
shouldn't,". :-)

The answer was that, in this case, it hadn't and when I right clicked on
it I selected 'copy url' and pasted this:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...PriceAscending

into Opera which took me to the top of the expected web page. After
scrolling down beyond the one quid assortment without spotting the 6 lamp
pack, I realised I'd best make use of the search box at the top of the
page using the obvious phrase which took me what I'd failed to spot in my
initial scans of the one quid selection section.

The technical info and description were no help in establishing their
vital statistics (no voltage rating mentioned and the wrong wattage -
40W).

The title says 50W (the product details does contradict that at 40W) but
the photo shows 12V 50W.

The Product Description and Details are both inaccurate. The description
is inaccurate to claim "Instant Light" for a 50W 12v halogen fed off an
electronic 60W 12v 'transformer' (300 to 450ms is more like it - about as
quick as a T12 tube in a Quickstart ballasted fitting) and their claims
for versatility in 'any room' and 'any situation' are far from the truth
unless we assume they had a particular 'idiot' customer in mind when they
wrote that "copy".

As for the Product Details, well we've already covered the "40W"
discrepancy which leaves the rather low 2000 hours rating for a 12v lamp
(the typically rather overly optimistic rating for a 240v lamp though),
which one might expect to be more like 4000 hours (a standard figure for
a 12v Halogen lamp). Neglecting to mention the voltage rating is a rather
startling omission all else considered.

All the other details bar one, seem to be accurate. The dimmability
claim rather depends on whether it's a 240v lamp (which, from the
picture, it isn't) or a 12v lamp driven by either a 50Hz mains
transformer or a 12v 60W smpsu, the last of which might prove
problematical with a phase angle controlled triac based dimmer.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

The Product Description and Details are both inaccurate. The description
is inaccurate to claim "Instant Light" for a 50W 12v halogen fed off an
electronic 60W 12v 'transformer' (300 to 450ms is more like it - about as
quick as a T12 tube in a Quickstart ballasted fitting) and their claims
for versatility in 'any room' and 'any situation' are far from the truth
unless we assume they had a particular 'idiot' customer in mind when they
wrote that "copy".

Your missus must love going shopping with you ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 22:04:10 UTC+1, Johnny B Good wrote:

The Product Description and Details are both inaccurate. The description
is inaccurate to claim "Instant Light" for a 50W 12v halogen fed off an
electronic 60W 12v 'transformer' (300 to 450ms is more like it - about as
quick as a T12 tube in a Quickstart ballasted fitting) and their claims
for versatility in 'any room' and 'any situation' are far from the truth
unless we assume they had a particular 'idiot' customer in mind when they
wrote that "copy".

they always do. Sales material writers are also routinely clueless themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 May 2018 14:52:02 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 22:04:10 UTC+1, Johnny B Good wrote:

The Product Description and Details are both inaccurate. The
description
is inaccurate to claim "Instant Light" for a 50W 12v halogen fed off an
electronic 60W 12v 'transformer' (300 to 450ms is more like it - about
as quick as a T12 tube in a Quickstart ballasted fitting) and their
claims for versatility in 'any room' and 'any situation' are far from
the truth unless we assume they had a particular 'idiot' customer in
mind when they wrote that "copy".

they always do. Sales material writers are also routinely clueless
themselves.

I'd assumed the description and details copy was intended for the
technophobic but even the technophobic (especially the technophobic!)
would need some clue as to the voltage rating of these lamps aside from
merely assuming from a picture which could just as easily be merely for
'illustrative purposes only' as be a picture of the actual lamp in
question.

Still, since they can't be purchased on line, it should be fairly
trivial for the would be purchaser to check the voltage ratings on the
packaging whilst in the shop. Tough titty on those who made a special
journey only to discover the lamps don't match the voltage used in their
fittings. Not so bad if it was merely a slight detour on an otherwise
normal shopping trip.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 May 2018 22:06:52 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

The Product Description and Details are both inaccurate. The
description is inaccurate to claim "Instant Light" for a 50W 12v
halogen fed off an electronic 60W 12v 'transformer' (300 to 450ms is
more like it - about as quick as a T12 tube in a Quickstart ballasted
fitting) and their claims for versatility in 'any room' and 'any
situation' are far from the truth unless we assume they had a
particular 'idiot' customer in mind when they wrote that "copy".

Your missus must love going shopping with you ...

It's funny you should say that... :-)

--
Johnny B Good