Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Cheap halogen lamps

On Wed, 09 May 2018 18:56:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/products?

q=halogen&sort=PriceAscending

That link was no good on its own. I had to insert "50W MR16" in the
search box before finding a pack of 6 for £1.00.

Assuming you didn't let it wrap where it shouldn't, it tested that it
worked before I sent it (in FF and IE) and it still works now in FF,
first item in second row.

I guess you meant "Assuming your *newsreader* didn't wrap it where it
shouldn't,". :-)

The answer was that, in this case, it hadn't and when I right clicked on
it I selected 'copy url' and pasted this:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...PriceAscending

into Opera which took me to the top of the expected web page. After
scrolling down beyond the one quid assortment without spotting the 6 lamp
pack, I realised I'd best make use of the search box at the top of the
page using the obvious phrase which took me what I'd failed to spot in my
initial scans of the one quid selection section.

The technical info and description were no help in establishing their
vital statistics (no voltage rating mentioned and the wrong wattage -
40W).

The title says 50W (the product details does contradict that at 40W) but
the photo shows 12V 50W.

The Product Description and Details are both inaccurate. The description
is inaccurate to claim "Instant Light" for a 50W 12v halogen fed off an
electronic 60W 12v 'transformer' (300 to 450ms is more like it - about as
quick as a T12 tube in a Quickstart ballasted fitting) and their claims
for versatility in 'any room' and 'any situation' are far from the truth
unless we assume they had a particular 'idiot' customer in mind when they
wrote that "copy".

As for the Product Details, well we've already covered the "40W"
discrepancy which leaves the rather low 2000 hours rating for a 12v lamp
(the typically rather overly optimistic rating for a 240v lamp though),
which one might expect to be more like 4000 hours (a standard figure for
a 12v Halogen lamp). Neglecting to mention the voltage rating is a rather
startling omission all else considered.

All the other details bar one, seem to be accurate. The dimmability
claim rather depends on whether it's a 240v lamp (which, from the
picture, it isn't) or a 12v lamp driven by either a 50Hz mains
transformer or a 12v 60W smpsu, the last of which might prove
problematical with a phase angle controlled triac based dimmer.

--
Johnny B Good