Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris

Default Halogen lamps ... Low voltage or mains?

When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me here

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards to
illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

LV. Safer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ],
Chris ] writes:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

I would choose T4 fluorescent fittings, fitted as far forward
as you can. Another alternative I have used is a T5 HE fluorescent
tube clipped to the back of the pelmit, with separate electronic
control gear.

If you must use halogens, use LV capsule ones (not reflector
ones) -- perferably several 10W ones, which will give a light
spread as near to that of a fluorescent as it it possible with
halogens.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ],
Chris ] writes:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

I would choose T4 fluorescent fittings, fitted as far forward
as you can.

I lit my brother's kitchen work tops this way. We repositioned the lights
several times using blue tac and found the best placed lighting was about
1-2 cm from the pelmet (600mm worktops and 300mm units). We also
experimented with aluminium foil on the underside of the units and had we
got the time to find a flat polished surface and fit it before his wife
kicked off about the kitchen not being finished I think we would have also
covered all the underneath of the units in something shiney.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Chris wrote:

When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

If that is the only choice, then LV

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

LV gives more light for a given wattage, the quality of the light is
"whiter", the bulbs are more resilient and will last longer - especially
in the presence of vibration (e.g. cupboard doors opening and closing).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:56:35 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Low voltage bare capsules, not dichroic reflectors, just because of the
reduced height. Go for lots of small ones rather than a few big ones.

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

In ceiling downlighters I'd probably go with mains, because they're
simpler to install and don't care about cable run lengths. I still get
more flexibility of bulb package with LV though.

Mains is also more reliable in service, as contact corrosion is a real
problem for LV. Arguably it's safer too, as if anything is going to
cause a problem, it'll be the high current ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris wrote:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

Low voltage, because the bulbs are cheaper and last far far longer.

Everyone I know who has mains voltage halogens always has one or two
dead ones every time I visit.

I've got through about 2 bulbs on 12v systems in 4 years out of 30
units...50W bulbs from Newey and Eyre for about 60p a time in reasonable
quantities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

Chris wrote:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

Low voltage, because the bulbs are cheaper and last far far longer.

Everyone I know who has mains voltage halogens always has one or two dead
ones every time I visit.

Is that because they have them on a dimmer?
I see few LV ones on dimmers, but lots of mains ones are dimmed.
Halogen lamps don't like being dimmed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

dennis@home wrote:
Chris wrote:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

Low voltage, because the bulbs are cheaper and last far far longer.

Everyone I know who has mains voltage halogens always has one or two dead
ones every time I visit.

Is that because they have them on a dimmer?
I see few LV ones on dimmers, but lots of mains ones are dimmed.
Halogen lamps don't like being dimmed.

Possibly. Some of mine are on dimmers and are fine.

You just need the right dimmer/transformer combo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

I would fit neither. I would (and did) fit these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ing/index.html

They are very thin and easy to conceal. For the same level of effective
illumination, they use about 1/6th of the energy and the equivalent in CO2
emmissions. The light quality is very good, with a tri-phosphor tube and no
flicker.

I used 4x16W under the cupboards and a 30W shoved up the chimney to
illuminate the cooker. It would have taken over 500W of halogen lighting to
get the same even and high level of illumination.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

I would fit neither. I would (and did) fit these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ing/index.html

They are very thin and easy to conceal. For the same level of effective
illumination, they use about 1/6th of the energy and the equivalent in CO2
emmissions. The light quality is very good, with a tri-phosphor tube and no
flicker.

I used 4x16W under the cupboards and a 30W shoved up the chimney to
illuminate the cooker. It would have taken over 500W of halogen lighting to
get the same even and high level of illumination.

Christian.

Those are interesting Christian..Are they high frequency flicker free etc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Those are interesting Christian..Are they high frequency flicker free etc?

If you click on one of the specific size links, it says "Electronic ballast
flicker free instant start". I certainly notice no flicker and I'm quite
sensitive to it.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me here

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"Me here" wrote in message

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

LV. Safer

Why??

Obviously you can't distinguish between 220v and 12 then?

Test by sticking your fingers in a 12v outlet pin set and see if it hurts.
If you don't notice the feeling try the 220v.

DUH!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Test by sticking your fingers in a 12v outlet pin set and see if it hurts.
If you don't notice the feeling try the 220v.

However, by far the most likely method of injury from an electrical
installation is from fire, not electrocution. In fact, electrocution is
extremely rare.

There are several reasons why higher voltages provide much better fire
safety which I won't go into here. However, countries with 110V systems have
an average rate of death and injury much higher than those on 230V. The
really ironic thing is that this doesn't only apply to fire deaths. More
people get electrocuted in 110V countries as well, due to poorer design
standards allowed by the lower voltage and the attitude of users that it
isn't dangerous.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Those are interesting Christian..Are they high frequency flicker free etc?

I fitted three of those for a friend at the end of last year. Very nice
in fact, easy to fit, instant on and no flicker at all,with a decent
colour temperature.

--
Cheers,

John.