Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!

On 30/04/2018 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down
through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying not
to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as just as I
completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked up again).

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/05/2018 20:31, ARW wrote:
On 30/04/2018 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down
through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying
not to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as just
as I completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked up again).

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

taunt not learnt

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2018 20:31:21 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 30/04/2018 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down
through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying not
to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as just as I
completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked up again).

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

One of the first things I taught myself. I once had an old Morris 1100
and the clutch system failed somewhere north of Braintree. I got it all
the way back to Canterbury with the clutch permanently engaged. That
included throwing the money at the guy in the toll booth at the Dartford
Tunnel, without stopping...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/18 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2018 20:31:21 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 30/04/2018 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down
through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying not
to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as just as I
completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked up again).

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

One of the first things I taught myself. I once had an old Morris 1100
and the clutch system failed somewhere north of Braintree. I got it all
the way back to Canterbury with the clutch permanently engaged. That
included throwing the money at the guy in the toll booth at the Dartford
Tunnel, without stopping...

No. You stop and stall the engine on the brakes, engage first gear and
then startt the engine in first.

Easy peasy.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
[...]

Not even possible with my car. The starter wont run unless the clutch is
released.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/18 20:33, ARW wrote:
On 02/05/2018 20:31, ARW wrote:
On 30/04/2018 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down
through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying
not to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as
just as I completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked
up again).

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

*taunt not learnt

OK. You've had your apprentice correct your typos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 May 2018 02:01:37 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

That's how I got started the first time. I didn't want to risk it in
heavy traffic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]

Not in a loaded Scudo.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/18 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2018 20:31:21 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 30/04/2018 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

It is. I learned and continue to use engine braking and changing down
through the gears when approaching junctions. I had problems trying not
to do this when training as an instructor (I never taught, as just as I
completed training, the jobs market in Engineering picked up again).

And they are never learnt how to drive without a clutch.

One of the first things I taught myself. I once had an old Morris 1100
and the clutch system failed somewhere north of Braintree. I got it all
the way back to Canterbury with the clutch permanently engaged. That
included throwing the money at the guy in the toll booth at the Dartford
Tunnel, without stopping...

I taught myself that after my dad described it, practiced in a work van
:-). Managed Birmingham City Centre to the VW dealer at New Oscott when
the cable broke as I was leaving the car park. A couple of tricky
moments, it was near rush hour, but thankfully less traffic in those
days, can't imagine doing it now. Changed the cable on the car park at
OH's work.