Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Resetting service warning lights

On 01/05/2018 15:58, The Other Mike wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 20:28:41 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I read them on my phone via Bluetooth!

Me too. Very handy as the module can even be left plugged in
permanently

Once I was parked in a shopping centre car park and noticed an open SSID
that appeared to be a wifi OBD dongle, that struck me as a good way to
get your car hacked or stolen ...

That could explain the brief open wifi alert I used to get on my phone a few
years back when a certain car passed me in the other direction. It certainly
wasn't location specific.

For a real oddity. A number of times sailing from Portsmouth to Caen or
St. Malo or in the opposite direction, I have left my phone turned on so
that I can check the time in the dark and about half way, the phone has
connected to a phone network and given me the message "Welcome to
Iceland." WTF?

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 01-May-18 7:26 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/05/2018 19:15, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:

dennis wrote:

Just in case you have forgotten the OP didn't want to clear the
code he
wanted to disable it!

Sorry I had misread that

Just so you understand that is not the same as clearing the code and
running diagnostics.

you aren't the only one to get it wrong, the rest will just
continue to deny it.

The first post in the thread made no mention of "disable" it just said
"reset" and "turn off" ....

Without bothering to fix any fault that may be there.

So if the fault still exists the warning lamp will come back on. Which
proves it's a real fault and not some spurious one off triggered event
from going over a pothole a bit fast last month.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2018 20:16:08 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

For a real oddity. A number of times sailing from Portsmouth to Caen or
St. Malo or in the opposite direction, I have left my phone turned on so
that I can check the time in the dark and about half way, the phone has
connected to a phone network and given me the message "Welcome to
Iceland." WTF?

Don't worry. Once we're finally out of the EU all that erroneous ****e
we've hitherto had to put up with will be history.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:

dennis wrote:

Just in case you have forgotten the OP didn't want to clear the
code he
wanted to disable it!

Sorry I had misread that

Just so you understand that is not the same as clearing the code and
running diagnostics.

you aren't the only one to get it wrong, the rest will just
continue to deny it.

The first post in the thread made no mention of "disable" it just
said "reset" and "turn off" ....

Without bothering to fix any fault that may be there.

So if the fault still exists the warning lamp will come back on. Which
proves it's a real fault and not some spurious one off triggered event
from going over a pothole a bit fast last month.

Not if they fix it so it doesn't come on which is what the OP wanted.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2018 20:16:08 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

For a real oddity. A number of times sailing from Portsmouth to Caen or
St. Malo or in the opposite direction, I have left my phone turned on so
that I can check the time in the dark and about half way, the phone has
connected to a phone network and given me the message "Welcome to
Iceland." WTF?

Don't worry. Once we're finally out of the EU all that erroneous ****e
we've hitherto had to put up with will be history.

Yup. The phone suppliers will be back to making you pay for any such
information. Or even conceal it so you run up a nice large bill without
knowing.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 May 2018 10:33:06 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yup. The phone suppliers will be back to making you pay for any such
information. Or even conceal it so you run up a nice large bill without
knowing.

A price well worth paying. ;-)

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:

dennis wrote:

Just in case you have forgotten the OP didn't want to clear the
code he
wanted to disable it!

Sorry I had misread that

Just so you understand that is not the same as clearing the code and
running diagnostics.

you aren't the only one to get it wrong, the rest will just
continue to deny it.

The first post in the thread made no mention of "disable" it just
said "reset" and "turn off" ....

Without bothering to fix any fault that may be there.

So if the fault still exists the warning lamp will come back on. Which
proves it's a real fault and not some spurious one off triggered event
from going over a pothole a bit fast last month.

Not if they fix it so it doesn't come on which is what the OP wanted.

Well it's easy to fix the light not to come on. Remove the bulb. That
will fail the bulb check.

Stopping the OEM ECU generating and storing the code requires a huge
skill set.

Easier to program a "PIC" chip or PI Atom to do the right light
sequence. So as he has a market of ONE (it would be very illegal to
sell), the OP now has to become an electronics and computing engineer.