Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Resetting service warning lights

If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I
would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There
might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being
of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008
Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars, but I
have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would put
the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2018 20:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars, but I
have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would put
the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...

There is a good chance the system will log the fault and there will be
serious trouble if someone gets hurt because the airbag didn't deploy.
Its also illegal to just clear the fault without fixing the problem if
it exists.

It would also be illegal to drive the car in the UK AIUI as it wouldn't
legally pass an MOT.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars, but
I have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would put
the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...

There is a good chance the system will log the fault and there will be
serious trouble if someone gets hurt because the airbag didn't deploy.

Many don't deploy for any number of reasons.

Its also illegal to just clear the fault without fixing the problem if
it exists.

Can you cite the statute?

It would also be illegal to drive the car in the UK AIUI as it wouldn't
legally pass an MOT.

Again, construction and use is a separate consideration to the MOT. Can
you cite the statute that makes it illegal to drive a car with the
air-bag light disabled?

Most unrepaired faults, even if temporarily cleared, will simply turn
the relevant warning light back on.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars,
but I have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would put
the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...

There is a good chance the system will log the fault and there will be
serious trouble if someone gets hurt because the airbag didn't deploy.

Many don't deploy for any number of reasons.

Its also illegal to just clear the fault without fixing the problem if
it exists.

Can you cite the statute?

Construction and use says some cars have to have airbags and that they
have to have working warning systems.

It would also be illegal to drive the car in the UK AIUI as it
wouldn't legally pass an MOT.

Again, construction and use is a separate consideration to the MOT. Can
you cite the statute that makes it illegal to drive a car with the
air-bag light disabled?

Do you think its legal to drive a car that you know will fail the MOT?
They can prove you know if the fault has been cleared without the
diagnostics being run. Just because you have an MOT doesn't mean its
legal to drive a car.

Most unrepaired faults, even if temporarily cleared, will simply turn
the relevant warning light back on.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you know why it came on you don't know if the
airbag will deploy when it should or if it will deploy when it
shouldn't. You would look pretty stupid if it went off while you were
doing 70 on the motorway or leaning over to clean the screen.

Just think of why they require a warning lamp.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

There are some MOT failure faults which make it illegal to drive the car
and other MOT failure faults that don't make it illegal to drive the
care. The MOT rules have just been modified to clarify that you can't
take the car home with some of them. (It may be that a fault that did
not make it illegal to drive the car under these rules, which relate to
driving a dangerous vehicle, might nonetheless be offences to drive with
under other legislation, such as some light faults.)

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars,
but I have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would
put the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...

There is a good chance the system will log the fault and there will
be serious trouble if someone gets hurt because the airbag didn't
deploy.

Many don't deploy for any number of reasons.

Its also illegal to just clear the fault without fixing the problem
if it exists.

Can you cite the statute?

Construction and use says some cars have to have airbags and that they
have to have working warning systems.

Yes, some cars have to built with features. Disabling them afterwards
doesn't mean it is illegal to drive the car.

The current VW emissions fiasco is a prime example. Is it now illegal
for VW owners to drive their cars? Have you seen any prosecutions.

Hence why I asked for a statute, which you will simply be unable to provide.

[...]

You do know what a 'warning' is? Don't you? A hint, it's a 'warning'.

Is driving a car with an ignition warning light on illegal? What's the
crime?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

With modern cars using so many separate management modules, all talking
to each other on CANBUS, you can end up with warning lights simply
because one module is a bit slow to boot and another flags a fairly
random error as it can't communicate with it. Many of these clear
automatically if you switch off and on again, but there is no guarantee
that one that latches in until reset with a reader doesn't happen.

False warnings are common and the normal thing with most indicated
faults is to see if they can be reset and then wait and see if they
recur. You could otherwise spend hundreds of pounds trying to find an
intermittent fault that doesn't really exist.

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

A colleague at work had his VW Polo battery fail just before Christmas.
This lit both his engine and airbag warning lights. They stayed lit when
a new battery was fitted. He had get them cleared.

Many faults if not detected again in a number of starts after the event
will clear themselves.

ODBII system have a memory that stores "pending faults". These don't
display a warning light until they have happened a number of times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Chris wrote:
If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I
would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There
might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being
of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008
Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.

Its not as simple as €œjust disabling the warning light€. All the warning
lamps should illuminate when the ignition is first turned on. If a lamp for
a safety critical component doesnt light up when it ought to, it
constitutes an MOT fail.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris writes:
If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I
would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There
might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being
of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008
Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.

The airbag deployment circuit is tested each time you turn
the ignition on. I suspect at best, you could disable it
until next time the ignition is turned on.

Airbags are generally rated for 10 year life, and it might
be that yours has detected that it's gone over 10 years old.
Check if the service schedule for your car expects replacement
after 10 years.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel presented the following explanation :
Airbags are generally rated for 10 year life, and it might
be that yours has detected that it's gone over 10 years old.
Check if the service schedule for your car expects replacement
after 10 years.

That used to be the case, it was the expected life at that time, but
now they are suggesting an indefinite life for them, or until deployed.
Have you ever found a source for replacement bags for a 10 year old
vehicle?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2018 20:42, Chris wrote:
If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I
would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There
might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being
of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008
Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.

You probably need to find the local specialist who has the gear to read
the fault from the SRS ECU, work out which plug to clean, and then maybe
reset it if it doesn't automatically clear on the next self-test.

(Engine diagnostic or service warning light is usually easier to clear).

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The airbag deployment circuit is tested each time you turn
the ignition on. I suspect at best, you could disable it
until next time the ignition is turned on.

Or, do what has worked for me in the past and wire the airbag light to
the alternator light... passes the MOT test without having to chase a
fault which, in theory, could write off the car.
--
Steve H
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

Well yes, driving without an MOT is always illegal (except directly to a
test centre with a pre-booked appointment) while having an MOT doesn't
make it legal to drive a car that is unroadworthy.

I thought everyone knew that.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.
Anyone that equates an engine warning light with an airbag or ABS or
steering warning light is just too stupid to bother with.
As a hint some warning lights fail the MOT some don't.
Some are a legal requirement some aren't.

If you remove some equipment from a car it is no longer legal others it
is still legal you don't appear to know the difference.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

It would help to have a substantive argument in the first place.

I simply asked for evidence of your claims. As is typical of your
assertions, when it comes to the crunch you're not able to back them up.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 10:39, Fredxx wrote:
8
I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.

It would help to have a substantive argument in the first place.

I simply asked for evidence of your claims. As is typical of your
assertions, when it comes to the crunch you're not able to back them up.

I don't have the time or desire to go searching motoring law for
something that will satisfy you as I think you won't accept anything anyway.

You can believe what you like without any facts to base your beliefs on
if you want.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 09:41, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 27/04/2018 20:42, Chris wrote:
If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I
would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There
might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being
of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008
Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.

Ā*You probably need to find the local specialist who has the gear to
read the fault from the SRS ECU, work out which plug to clean, and then
maybe reset it if it doesn't automatically clear on the next self-test.

Ā*(Engine diagnostic or service warning light is usually easier to clear).

I recently replaced a sensor on a Ford as the Airbag light came on.
Corrosion had caused a pin to come away, and the sensor presumably
failed its self-test.

This was using Forscan. I have no idea if there is an equivalent for Volvos.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/9750860/Quick-fix-for-faulty-airbag-light.html

--
Oliver

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 10:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/04/2018 10:39, Fredxx wrote:
8
I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.

It would help to have a substantive argument in the first place.

I simply asked for evidence of your claims. As is typical of your
assertions, when it comes to the crunch you're not able to back them up.

I don't have the time or desire to go searching motoring law for
something that will satisfy you as I think you won't accept anything
anyway.

Then don't make stupid claims. Not from you, definitely not. You have a
history of spouting nonsense.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 09:41, Nick Finnigan wrote:

Ā*(Engine diagnostic or service warning light is usually easier to clear).

You don't normally need any equipment to clear a service warning light.
In most cases its hold a particular button(s) in while turning the
ignition on/off. Google will probably tell you which if the
dealer/manual won't.

Example for an astra..

Turn the ignition on, one position before starting engine.

Press MENU button until on the display will appear vehicle information menu.

Rotate the button which has on it two arrows one up one down, is located
next to the MENU button, until message Remaining oil life is displayed.

Press and hold button SET/CLR, press brake pedal and hold them for about
15 seconds.

Release SET/CLR button and brake pedal, switch ignition off.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 10:31:15 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.

He only asked you to cite the relevant law! The fact that you have been
conspicuously unable to do so has not gone unnoticed!

To the OP: looking on YT there one common factor that seems to be
responsible in the vast majority of airbag failure warnings and that is
insecure connector blocks under the two front seats. The blocks in
question are colour coded yellow. Take a close look at 'em, wiggle 'em
around a bit and see if the fault clears itself.
Airbag warnings are not like maintenance warnings in that you cannot
clear them without fixing the underlying fault first. That's bad news if
the wiggling doesn't work!

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 10:49, Fredxx wrote:
On 28/04/2018 10:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/04/2018 10:39, Fredxx wrote:
8
I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.

It would help to have a substantive argument in the first place.

I simply asked for evidence of your claims. As is typical of your
assertions, when it comes to the crunch you're not able to back them up.

I don't have the time or desire to go searching motoring law for
something that will satisfy you as I think you won't accept anything
anyway.

Then don't make stupid claims. Not from you, definitely not. You have a
history of spouting nonsense.

So you claim but you have never shown me to be wrong by posting any
substantive links.
Just because you or TNP claims someone is wrong doesn't make them wrong,
quite the opposite in fact.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 10:47, Oliver wrote:
On 27/04/2018 20:42, Chris wrote:
If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I
would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do
this myself if it's at all possible!

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale? There
might or might not be a genuine fault, but I don't care either way. Being
of a certain age I just want the warning got rid of. The car is a 2008
Volvo V70 if that makes any difference.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/9750860/Quick-fix-for-faulty-airbag-light.html

Do you trust anyone that posts cr@p like this..

"A very useful tip, thank you. Before fiddling with the connector, you
need to leave the car switched off for half an hour to discharge any
residual current in the electrics. Otherwise, you might trigger the
airbag. "

Maybe someone wants to ask him what this residual electricity is and
where it goes after 30 minutes?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 11:19, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/04/2018 10:49, Fredxx wrote:
On 28/04/2018 10:46, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/04/2018 10:39, Fredxx wrote:
8
I can see that its a waste of time arguing with you so I wont.

It would help to have a substantive argument in the first place.

I simply asked for evidence of your claims. As is typical of your
assertions, when it comes to the crunch you're not able to back them
up.

I don't have the time or desire to go searching motoring law for
something that will satisfy you as I think you won't accept anything
anyway.

Then don't make stupid claims. Not from you, definitely not. You have
a history of spouting nonsense.

So you claim but you have never shown me to be wrong by posting any
substantive links.

You make a stupid claim, it is up to you to back it up, that is how it
works.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 10:52, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/04/2018 09:41, Nick Finnigan wrote:

Ā*Ā*(Engine diagnostic or service warning light is usually easier to
clear).

You don't normally need any equipment to clear a service warning light.
In most cases its hold a particular button(s) in while turning the
ignition on/off. Google will probably tell you which if the
dealer/manual won't.

On the case of an airbag it can give a code indicating the sensor or the
problem at hand.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 11:23, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Have you ever heard of a capacitor?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

[...]

There is a raft of storage devices used in electronic equipment. You
should get out of that chair and in the real world some time. It's moved
on since valves.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
Maybe someone wants to ask him what this residual electricity is and
where it goes after 30 minutes?

Have you ever heard of a capacitor?

I'd be very surprised if there were any in a car capable of retaining a
charge sufficient to trigger an airbag after 1/2 an hour. ;-)

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home submitted this idea :
Maybe someone wants to ask him what this residual electricity is and where it
goes after 30 minutes?

They use a charged capacitor, in case the 12v supply fails in an
accident. It still allows them to fire in the event of the 12v failing.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris wrote:

Has anyone ever had to turn off an SRS airbag fault tell-tale?

I have an OBD cable and dedicated software for VW/Audi group cars, but I
have also used it in 'generic' mode on the neighbour's Nissan.

You can clear any outstanding 'trouble codes', whether that would put
the warning light out on the dash, who knows, but you'd hope so ...

Resetting things like airbag warnings may not be within the scope of some
aftermarket devices. ODB is generally to do with engine emissions, etc.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

[...]

You will note however that the guidance on the connector was provided by
"JL, via email". Not the same person adding the second bit of advice, so
the credibility of the latter does not necessarily have a bearing on the
former.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
Maybe someone wants to ask him what this residual electricity is and
where it goes after 30 minutes?

Have you ever heard of a capacitor?

I'd be very surprised if there were any in a car capable of retaining a
charge sufficient to trigger an airbag after 1/2 an hour. ;-)

certainly, but it is why you wait, just in case.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

[...]

I am not sure that the term "roadworthy" is well-defined in law. For
instance, while it may be illegal to drive a car which has no MOT, I am
less convinced that it is illegal to drive a car with a valid MOT that
has a defective airbag warning light, whether or not a new MOT in the
currnency of the old has drawn this to your attention. This may well be
a matter of fact rather than of dogmatic opinion.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MrCheerful wrote:
Maybe someone wants to ask him what this residual electricity is and
where it goes after 30 minutes?

Have you ever heard of a capacitor?

I'd be very surprised if there were any in a car capable of retaining a
charge sufficient to trigger an airbag after 1/2 an hour. ;-)

Look up supercaps, they are a large capacitor with a remarkable qualities.

I also think 1/2 an hour is a long time, and indeed suspect it is more
likely seconds. However when the consequences of getting something like
this wrong, even I would leave and make a hot drink before returning.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 11:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
dennis@home submitted this idea :
Maybe someone wants to ask him what this residual electricity is and
where it goes after 30 minutes?

They use a charged capacitor, in case the 12v supply fails in an
accident. It still allows them to fire in the event of the 12v failing.

Except when the fire-brigade attend, they would disconnect the battery
and expect the door bag to be inactive as a result.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28-Apr-18 9:32 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Gabriel presented the following explanation :
Airbags are generally rated for 10 year life, and it might
be that yours has detected that it's gone over 10 years old.
Check if the service schedule for your car expects replacement
after 10 years.

That used to be the case, it was the expected life at that time, but now
they are suggesting an indefinite life for them, or until deployed. Have
you ever found a source for replacement bags for a 10 year old vehicle?

Why would they stock air bags as separate spares? Usually airbags would
be sold as part of an assembly. For side air bags in the seat you have
to buy a NEW seat. For a 10 year old car the cost of new parts alone for
replacing the assemblies with air bags is uneconomic. The damage done by
airbag deployment is usually enough to write off any car over 10 years old.

Dash is usually destroyed - huge amount of labor to replace the dash.
Airbag deployment usually cracks the windscreen if there's a passenger.
How many airbags? 2 front + unknown number of side bags.
Collision sensor is not re-settable and has to be replaced.

And then there's still the damage from the accident that triggered the
airbags.

Even if it's not your fault you need a replacement car.

If it has air bags your car better be worth over £10K to be repaired by
insurance, cos this will be £5K by the time an insurance approved rip
off repairer has had their cut.
New passenger air bag will come as part of the dash assembly. £1000?
New drivers air bag will come as part of the new steering wheel. £300?
New seats will have side airbags in them. £1250 each (ford focus) £1500
if heated and £2500 if motorized?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28-Apr-18 11:23 AM, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

30 min after switching off may seem a bit excessive but it is STILL NOT
SAFE. The air bag system isn't switched off by the ignition switch and
is still ARMED. Battery has to be disconnected, then wait for circuit to
discharge.

Mazda 323F service manual - "more than" 1 min.

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK position.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for more than 1 minute.
3. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 22:46:50 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

Do you think its legal to drive a car that you know will fail the MOT?

Yes it is legal

They can prove you know if the fault has been cleared without the
diagnostics being run.

Would love to know how anyone would actually perform this action

Unless you know why it came on you don't know if the
airbag will deploy when it should or if it will deploy when it
shouldn't. You would look pretty stupid if it went off while you were
doing 70 on the motorway or leaning over to clean the screen.

The built in precautions to prevent accidental deployment of an airbag
also ensure intentional deployment