Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick Quiz - Remote diagnosis.

Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

The volt stick dosn't care that the neutral is not connected and the
camaraman is a **** and dosn't know which way up to hold his phone.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/18 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

People who dont understand electricity blindly using tools they dont
understand either?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

They appear to be using shaver adapters rather than eurosocket adapters.

https://cdn.bmstores.co.uk//images/hpcProductImage/imgFull/304472-Eveready-Shaver-and-Toothbrush-Adapter-Twin-Pack-detail1.jpg

I know a shaver plug won't go into a euro socket, but a euro plug *will*
go into a shaver socket. However the europlug has thinner pins, which
are angled inwards, so perhaps they don't engage with the shaver
socket's contacts?

His diagnosis that since the "kettle lead" has no power therefore the
exercise machine is faulty is classic. In any case, should the machine
have an earth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 16:24, Andy Burns wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

They appear to be using shaver adapters rather than eurosocket adapters.

https://cdn.bmstores.co.uk//images/hpcProductImage/imgFull/304472-Eveready-Shaver-and-Toothbrush-Adapter-Twin-Pack-detail1.jpg

I know a shaver plug won't go into a euro socket, but a euro plug *will*
go into a shaver socket.Â* However the europlug has thinner pins, which
are angled inwards, so perhaps they don't engage with the shaver
socket's contacts?

His diagnosis that since the "kettle lead" has no power therefore the
exercise machine is faulty is classic.Â* In any case, should the machine
have an earth?

The units were delivered/installed directly from/by Manufacturers in
Poland and apparently this is what they supplied.
I've told them to dump leads and adaptors and get 2 proper 3 pin kettle
leads.

The "brand new" euro lead has been plugged into the adaptor the wrong
way round so I've suggested by being able to plug lead in the wrong way
around they could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead. Just
wondering if sockets in commercial premises are normally protected by
RCD's ?

I also spotted what appeared to be a shaver adapter and am thinking
perhaps a gym member nicked the original adaptors and they're replaced
with shaver adaptors. Wasn't aware of the differences with Euro plugs
and shaver plugs though.
Cheers
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

His voltstick seems to suggest the cable from his dodgy looking adaptor
to the schuko plug is knackered/not fit for purpose

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" Wrote
in message:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Extension cable reels? Two pin adapters? Looks all very dodgy to
me for a place that presumably has paying customers.

Putting the plug in the wrong way round won't blow anything, it's
AC after all...

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

The "brand new" euro lead has been plugged into the adaptor the wrong
way round so I've suggested by being able to plug lead in the wrong way
around

If something has a 2pin plug it doesn't really care which is "right" or
"wrong"

they could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead.

More likely the 1A fuse in the adapter, but they probably wouldn't want
to admit it worked for a fraction of a second, then went pop and didn't
work afterwards.

Just
wondering if sockets in commercial premises are normally protected by
RCD's ?

They don't have to be, unless there's specific rules for gyms
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead.

Won't be a fuse in a schuko plug, and despite what I said earlier about
1A fuse in shaver adapter, his voltstick did light up from the adapter
.... it might be close enough to input live pin rather than the output
live contact

Either way, I agree with others, get rid of extension reel, get rid of
cable masking-taped to floor, get rid of shaver adapters, buy proper 13A
plug to IEC C13 leads
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 17:47, Tim+ wrote:

Extension cable reels? Two pin adapters? Looks all very dodgy to
me for a place that presumably has paying customers.

Indeed.
How customers choose to hook up equipment is down to them.
The unit only really needs power for the tablet type screen so it's an
extremely low power demand but still not acceptable for a commercial
setting. Their H&S liability.

Putting the plug in the wrong way round won't blow anything, it's
AC after all...

Good point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 17:33, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/04/2018 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

His voltstick seems to suggest the cable from his dodgy looking adaptor
to the schuko plug is knackered/not fit for purpose

Or the plug is not making proper contact in the adapter. Or the termal
trip in the extension reel has tripped etc. etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 18:17, Andy Burns wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead.

Won't be a fuse in a schuko plug, and despite what I said earlier about
1A fuse in shaver adapter, his voltstick did light up from the adapter
... it might be close enough to input live pin rather than the output
live contact

All the voltstick suggests is that live may have been present somewhere
in the coil of wire in the cable extension reel NOT that the contact of
the adapter is live. The voltstick os aproximity detector and mains live
may have been on the input side of the safety trip in the extension reel.

What is the power consumption of BOTH of the equipments plugged into
that one extension lead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead.

Won't be a fuse in a schuko plug, and despite what I said earlier about
1A fuse in shaver adapter, his voltstick did light up from the adapter
... it might be close enough to input live pin rather than the output
live contact

Either way, I agree with others, get rid of extension reel, get rid of
cable masking-taped to floor, get rid of shaver adapters, buy proper 13A
plug to IEC C13 leads

If the customer is being aresy about it, get CPC to drop ship em some
proper leads, and see if that fixes it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 25/04/2018 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

No neutral.

Is possible, but why does the voltstick not detect live in the
last black lead...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 22:53, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:

Is possible, but why does the voltstick not detect live in the
last black lead...

Because there is no live from the extension reel socket?
The person testing now needs to go back and see if there is still live
in the extension reel cable. If there is then it cannot just disappear
unless
i) a fuse or trip has blown (this could be in the extension reel)
ii) a connection is not being made (possibly in the adapter)

The tester also needs to disconnect the equipment and check for live at
the end of the kettle lead he has plugged into the 2 pin adapter.

Live at the output of the adapter and no live in a correctly connected
kettle lead would possibly result in lots of smoke!

I'll bet that once they have got it into there heads that the equipment
must be faulty common sense goes out of the window and none of the
testing they have already done is flawed.

My guesses are
i) that both machines plugged into the same extension reel failed at
exactly the same time.
ii) the extension reels are getting hot because the majority of the
cable is still wound up inside the reel and an overheat trip has activated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a monumental cock up to me whatever you say. Surely excercise
gear has to have an earth for safety.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a dodgy setup done to save money.

I don't use gyms so I don't care.

The "brand new" euro lead has been plugged into the adaptor the wrong
way round so I've suggested by being able to plug lead in the wrong way
around they could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead. Just
wondering if sockets in commercial premises are normally protected by
RCD's ?

I also spotted what appeared to be a shaver adapter and am thinking
perhaps a gym member nicked the original adaptors and they're replaced
with shaver adaptors. Wasn't aware of the differences with Euro plugs
and shaver plugs though.

I think Euro plugs are the thin two pin ones. You can plug them directly
into a 13A socket: and some sockets won't require you to stick a
screwdriver into the earth, as the shutters open when you insert pins
into line and neutral together.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 08:04, alan_m wrote:
I'll bet that once they have got it into there heads that the equipment
must be faulty common sense goes out of the window and none of the
testing they have already done is flawed.

Sometimes walking away and looking at it again the following day is the
best solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/04/2018 22:53, Jim K wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 25/04/2018 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gotta love trying to diagnose problems by e-mail.
Fortunately a video came through earlier.

Fault reported - Both machines are faulty and no longer work.
After suggesting plugging a vacuum into the wall outlet and working back
from there I was informed that all points had been tested with a circuit
tester and the machines must be faulty.

Had a video through earlier showing testing.
Anyone else spot what I consider to be the cause of the problem(s)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4hgcglz8m...A0000.mp4?dl=0

No neutral.

Is possible, but why does the voltstick not detect live in the
last black lead...

Flexes are notoriously difficult to give a signal on a volt stick is my
simple answer.

However

Mistake no 1. At the very beginning of the video the plug should have
been left in the socket and the voltstick put over the points where the
live and neutral pins are on the plug.

Mistake no 2. At 30 seconds it looks like the neutral pin of the euro
plug is showing live. Ideally the euro adaptor should have been removed
and the live "hole" at the extension lead tested (just like he did thth
the double socket at the beginning).

Mistake no 3. At 43 seconds he should again have tested the plug not the
flex.

Mistake in general. Not plunging in a working known appliance into the
socket and then the extension lead instead of ****ing about with a volt
stick.

I'll now go and read what others have posted. I deliberately did not not
read their posts yesterday.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/04/2018 18:13, Andy Burns wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

The "brand new" euro lead has been plugged into the adaptor the wrong
way round so I've suggested by being able to plug lead in the wrong way
around

If something has a 2pin plug it doesn't really care which is "right" or
"wrong"

they could well have blown the fuse in the brand new lead.

More likely the 1A fuse in the adapter, but they probably wouldn't want
to admit it worked for a fraction of a second, then went pop and didn't
work afterwards.

Just
wondering if sockets in commercial premises are normally protected by
RCD's ?

They don't have to be, unless there's specific rules for gyms

I would say that no RCD would be a code 2 on an EICR even in a gym.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
news
On 26/04/2018 08:04, alan_m wrote:
I'll bet that once they have got it into there heads that the equipment
must be faulty common sense goes out of the window and none of the
testing they have already done is flawed.

Sometimes walking away and looking at it
again the following day is the best solution.

Wonder what the mechanism for that is, presumably
an assumption that goes overnight or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 19:29, ARW wrote:

Mistake in general. Not plunging in a working known appliance into the
socket and then the extension lead instead of ****ing about with a volt
stick.

Which was the first advice I gave them, knowing that the gym would
almost certainly have a vacuum cleaner to hand, advice they seemed to
ignore in preference to going for the "high tech" solution instead.

Hey ho.
No word back yet so I'm presuming they have tried with a proper lead (or
borrowed one from the back of a computer as I also suggested) and
everything will be back to full working order.

Must say I wasn't aware that the manufacturer/installer had left them
with the bodge of Euro plugs and adapters until I saw the vid.
Something I'll make sure doesn't happen in future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/04/2018 10:59, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 26/04/2018 19:29, ARW wrote:

Mistake in general. Not plunging in a working known appliance into the
socket and then the extension lead instead of ****ing about with a volt
stick.

Which was the first advice I gave them, knowing that the gym would
almost certainly have a vacuum cleaner to hand, advice they seemed to
ignore in preference to going for the "high tech" solution instead.

Hey ho.
No word back yet so I'm presuming they have tried with a proper lead (or
borrowed one from the back of a computer as I also suggested) and
everything will be back to full working order.

Must say I wasn't aware that the manufacturer/installer had left them
with the bodge of Euro plugs and adapters until I saw the vid.
Something I'll make sure doesn't happen in future.

If you're the supplier, do you have some obligation to supply
satisfactory leads?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2018 19:29, ARW wrote:

[...]

Which could conceivably tie in with the video "proof" of "look, no
live in the supplied leads"?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/04/2018 13:48, Jim K wrote:

Which could conceivably tie in with the video "proof" of "look, no
live in the supplied leads"?

I am quite happy with the hypothesis that the supplied two pin adaptors
are the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
On 27/04/2018 13:48, Jim K wrote:

Which could conceivably tie in with the video "proof" of "look, no
live in the supplied leads"?

I am quite happy with the hypothesis that the supplied two pin adaptors
are the problem.

Well indeed, but the gym bunnies would miss that nuance amongst
others... If they supplied the adaptors themselves & the
voltstick says they're "live" their deduction could well be that
"your leads are duff mate, sort it!", after all i doubt these
machines are 'cheap'....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Some not so quick... quick and easy Christmas presents. Bob La Londe[_7_] Metalworking 112 January 5th 18 08:14 AM
The uk.d-i-y quick quiz TimW UK diy 33 November 15th 17 05:06 PM
Quick, quick... Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 13 December 21st 12 12:21 AM
How quick is quick curing silicone? Nicholas UK diy 4 January 6th 05 10:00 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM