Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric SDS breaker drill

Hi All.

I'm after a big SDS breaker for occasional concrete breaking. Probable infrequent use means that it is not really worth the expense of buying a premium machine (Bosch, Makita etc.). I am therefore tempted by the many and various 1700W to 3600W machines on eBay with neverheardofitbefore brands, all at around £100.

A lot of the eBay machines seem to get good feedback from users (performance, durability etc.). The one consistently reported downside is weight (20-odd Kg).

Any experience on here? Also, is more power likely to be the better option, or is 1700W plenty to break concrete, in most DIY scenarios?

Thanks.

Ant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi All.

I'm after a big SDS breaker for occasional concrete breaking. Probable
infrequent use means that it is not really worth the expense of buying a
premium machine (Bosch, Makita etc.). I am therefore tempted by the many
and various 1700W to 3600W machines on eBay with neverheardofitbefore
brands, all at around £100.

A lot of the eBay machines seem to get good feedback from users
(performance, durability etc.). The one consistently reported downside is
weight (20-odd Kg).

Any experience on here? Also, is more power likely to be the better
option, or is 1700W plenty to break concrete, in most DIY scenarios?

Thanks.

Ant.

I got a cheap one about 1700W and 20Kg, no apparent brand on the
machine. I think it is mainly the weight that breaks the concrete, the
power needing to be sufficient to lift it quickly enough. It did about
5m^2 of 4-5" unreinforced concrete without a great deal of effort and
didn't fail then. I haven't used it since. Worth the £60 or so to
avoid having to pay someone to do it.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2018 06:57, wrote:
Hi All.

I'm after a big SDS breaker for occasional concrete breaking.

Do you really mean SDS in this case? The larger 20kg breakers, e.g.
something like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb...ker-230v/67819

Normally take hex shank chisels. The next size down (usually in the 10
to 15kg class) might be SDS Max

There seem to be quite a few very similar looking machines about branded
by any number of "own brand" names.

IME they do a decent enough job.

Probable infrequent use means that it is not really worth the expense
of buying a premium machine (Bosch, Makita etc.). I am therefore
tempted by the many and various 1700W to 3600W machines on eBay with
neverheardofitbefore brands, all at around £100.

Some years ago I needed something more destructive for a particular job
and picked up a similar looking 20kg class machine from a local cash and
carry. It works surprisingly well. Not much finesse about it, and it
might not be a good choice for daily use, but for intermittent use it
does get the job done.

Only suitable for working downwards really due to the weight.

A lot of the eBay machines seem to get good feedback from users
(performance, durability etc.). The one consistently reported
downside is weight (20-odd Kg).

That kind of goes with the territory. With 45J of impact energy you need
a certain amount of weight if you want most of that coming out of the
pointy end, and not straight into you!

Any experience on here? Also, is more power likely to be the better
option, or is 1700W plenty to break concrete, in most DIY scenarios?

I would say 1700W is plenty. 3600W etc is going to be difficult to run
from an extension lead.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks All.

On the matter of the power, the potential difficulty in using a 3.5+KW machine with a regular extension lead was my main concern. If a 1.7KW is up to the job of dealing with most DIY breaking tasks, then I will probably stick with that.

With regard SDS, SDS Max etc.- yes, I think I used the wrong term. It's a hex shank breaker that I'm after.

Regards.

Ant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2018 21:29, Roger Hayter wrote:
newshound wrote:

On 24/04/2018 16:19, wrote:
Thanks All.

On the matter of the power, the potential difficulty in using a 3.5+KW
machine with a regular extension lead was my main concern. If a 1.7KW is
up to the job of dealing with most DIY breaking tasks, then I will
probably stick with that.

With regard SDS, SDS Max etc.- yes, I think I used the wrong term. It's
a hex shank breaker that I'm after.

Regards.

Ant.

As John says, weight is a problem if you were attacking a substantial
wall or the side of a big concrete block, but you could suspend it from
a tripod or A frame. For breaking a slab, you are relying on the weight
and don't have to support it yourself.

But isn't the best way to do a wall (unless it is a reinforced concrete
motorway or something) to stitch drill a block,[1] and then use a
moderately large but easily held jackhammer to break the mortar bonds
block by block?

[1]If knocking out a block with a big hammer is too destructive or
ineffective.

For a "normal" wall you probably don't need a 20kg class breaker - they
are really at their best for concrete slabs etc. A 10kg class SDS max
machine will knock bits off a wall with ease.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
For a "normal" wall you probably don't need a 20kg class breaker - they
are really at their best for concrete slabs etc. A 10kg class SDS max
machine will knock bits off a wall with ease.

My ancient DeWalt lightweight SDS had no problems breaking up a concrete
path here - after all you can lean on it if weight matters.

Wonder if the OP has an SDS of any type?

If you were regularly breaking up structural concrete, you'd likely be
best with the appropriate tools. Which ain't going to be at cheap DIY
prices.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:57:12 -0700, anonymousrapscallion wrote:

Hi All.

I'm after a big SDS breaker for occasional concrete breaking. Probable
infrequent use means that it is not really worth the expense of buying a
premium machine (Bosch, Makita etc.). I am therefore tempted by the many
and various 1700W to 3600W machines on eBay with neverheardofitbefore
brands, all at around £100.

A lot of the eBay machines seem to get good feedback from users
(performance, durability etc.). The one consistently reported downside
is weight (20-odd Kg).

Any experience on here? Also, is more power likely to be the better
option, or is 1700W plenty to break concrete, in most DIY scenarios?

Thanks.

Ant.

Nobody seems to have mentioned hire yet.

For serious concrete breaking it is sometimes better to hire a big sod off
breaker for the day.

I have used budget SDS drill/breakers for small amounts but it becomes
hard work after a time.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
[...]

+1 on the hire suggestion.

Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a bit of
path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will split it.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2018 20:52, Tim Lamb wrote:

Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a bit of
path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will split it.

We've just had a guy in to remove the slab from our old garage. It was a
foot thick. He levered up the end with a JCB, then hit it with a sledge.
Then hit it again. And again.... he's darnn fit.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 25/04/2018 20:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a bit
of path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will split it.

We've just had a guy in to remove the slab from our old garage. It was
a foot thick. He levered up the end with a JCB, then hit it with a
sledge. Then hit it again. And again.... he's darnn fit.

I was more thinking 3 -4" of unreinforced footpath.

What was the upshot of your garage floor?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 25/04/2018 20:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a bit
of path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will split it.

We've just had a guy in to remove the slab from our old garage. It was
a foot thick. He levered up the end with a JCB, then hit it with a
sledge. Then hit it again. And again.... he's darnn fit.

I was more thinking 3 -4" of unreinforced footpath.

Same here. Usually pretty low grade stuff. Which my lightweight SDS
managed to break up pretty easily.

What was the upshot of your garage floor?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2018 08:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 25/04/2018 20:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
Â*Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a bit
ofÂ* path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will split it.

We've just had a guy in to remove the slab from our old garage. It was
a foot thick. He levered up the end with a JCB, then hit it with a
sledge. Then hit it again. And again.... he's darnn fit.

I was more thinking 3 -4" of unreinforced footpath.

What was the upshot of your garage floor?

He got it into bits small enough to load and take away.

In other news, today the BCO came and told us we can't start on the new
one until the ground water level has dropped enough that the foundation
trenches won't flood

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 21:30:28 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 27/04/2018 08:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 25/04/2018 20:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
Â*Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a
Â*bit
ofÂ* path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will split it.

We've just had a guy in to remove the slab from our old garage. It was
a foot thick. He levered up the end with a JCB, then hit it with a
sledge. Then hit it again. And again.... he's darnn fit.

I was more thinking 3 -4" of unreinforced footpath.

What was the upshot of your garage floor?

He got it into bits small enough to load and take away.

In other news, today the BCO came and told us we can't start on the new
one until the ground water level has dropped enough that the foundation
trenches won't flood

Seems like you could use a decent sump pump. :-)

My basement's drying out quite nicely now, btw. Routing a hose from the
sump standpipe location in the coal hole out under the front door step
immediately above proved ridiculously easier than I was expecting. :-)

Murphy/Sod won't be having any more fun at my expense with heavy
rainfall now, especially since my next door neighbour (detached from our
property), let slip to my son that he's also been having basement
flooding issues too.

It's of some comfort to know that I'm not alone[1], both in regard of
the "This Basement Is A Little Wetter Than I'd Like." syndrome, and the
fact that Murphy/Sod has another "Playmate" to distract his attentions
away from me.

[1] It's not entirely Schadenfreude, more the principle of making sure
you have slower runners than you in your party when travelling on foot in
Bear Country.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 27/04/2018 08:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 25/04/2018 20:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
*Also consider a decent size sledge hammer. If you can lever up a
bit of* path so it is unsupported by soil, a modest whack will
split it.

We've just had a guy in to remove the slab from our old garage. It
was a foot thick. He levered up the end with a JCB, then hit it with
a sledge. Then hit it again. And again.... he's darnn fit.

I was more thinking 3 -4" of unreinforced footpath.
What was the upshot of your garage floor?

He got it into bits small enough to load and take away.

One thing to watch is flying chips and nearby glass.

In other news, today the BCO came and told us we can't start on the new
one until the ground water level has dropped enough that the foundation
trenches won't flood

Oh! Does he not realise concrete is heavier than water?

--
Tim Lamb