Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Default Choosing a sds drill/breaker for occasional use

I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:

I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

For the money:

Looks like a good deal at the moment.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?

Weight does not make that much difference to its performance when
breaking. You basically need "enough" force on the bit and no more for
optimum results. The aim is to keep the drill "floating" on the hammer
action. With some of the heavier examples that may mean you need to
carry it even when drill straight down.

And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

If it is effectiveness as a breaker you are after then ignore the input
power, but look at the impact energy per blow, and then the number of
blows per min.

For the 2kg class drills, some of the Hitachi models boast very high
impact per blow (over 3J IIRC). The bigger "can" type body models ought
to be able to do double that in the decent brands, but as you say, the
cheapies are often no better than the decent lightweight ones in this
respect.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
dg wrote:
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

If you're using one for wall chasing etc a heavy one will be a right pain.

--
*You sound reasonable......time to up my medication

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

I recently bought this one http://tinyurl.com/qurq6 (link goes to Ebay).
It's £99 so may be more than you want to pay but I've got to say that it's
brilliant and the guy is a good trader.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "John" contains these words:

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

They still go through brick and concrete like a pound of gooseberries
through a two year old.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

What to you want to break?

For light work such as socket back boxes and chases down walls for cables
then John Rumm's suggestion (in most cases) is a bargain buy (I paid £120
for one a few years ago). If you want to smash a patio to bits or put holes
in concrete for fence posts than forget it and buy something heavier.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

I was very much in the 'do-I-need-this? ' situation about a year ago
when I bought a cheap one from Lidl/Aldi. That is it was around £30
and is an in-line motor and weighs I guess around 2kg. The attirude
was that if it didn't work or I didn't have any use for it then there
wasn't much money wasted.

It sat around for a while and then came into it's own recently and
drilled something in the order of 40 holes 10mm dia 150mm deep in
concrete blocks and what a dream. Every hole was perfect, there was no
stress in drilling them - it just 'melted' it's way through the blocks,
and the machine looks as good as new - and all for £30! Not sure
when it will get used again, but it has paid for itself already.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

dg wrote:
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly
for the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the
market - less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

aldi has a cheap 1500W drill in soon:

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

the BPM is expressed ad RPM and rotary stop seems to be called chiselling
but there's a helpline and a 3 year warranty. £29.99 for occasional use ? it's
hard to find fault with it but I'm sure someone will be along to do so, soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

.. wrote:
dg wrote:
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly
for the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the
market - less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

aldi has a cheap 1500W drill in soon:

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

the BPM is expressed ad RPM and rotary stop seems to be called chiselling
but there's a helpline and a 3 year warranty. £29.99 for occasional use ? it's
hard to find fault with it but I'm sure someone will be along to do so, soon.

Yes I noticed this. Seems good value

I have used one of this type of cheap drill/breaker, and was not
impressed with the power - breaking out a 1/2 brick wall for an
opening. I know it was not ideal, but it was available and I gave it a
try.

If a 2kg named drill like the Dewalt or Hitachi mentioned is not much
better in this type of situation, then it may well do me to buy a
cheapy. But I just wanted to know if the actual 'breaking power' is
significantly better on one of these 2kg [named] units than on the
generic lower priced units. Thats the bottom line

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:

aldi has a cheap 1500W drill in soon:

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

the BPM is expressed ad RPM and rotary stop seems to be called chiselling
but there's a helpline and a 3 year warranty. ï½£29.99 for occasional use ? it's
hard to find fault with it but I'm sure someone will be along to do so, soon.

Since you asked! ;-)

No mention of a safety clutch, and it weighs getting on for 6kg. I would
also be a little wary since it includes "rubber dust cap, ..., pot of
grease". Might be worth cheking this is just intended for lubing the
shank of the bits and not like on some of the cheapies (older models
especially) that require a resovoir refilling with grease every so
often. This they then proceed to spew out all over you and anything else
you are drilling near!

Another worthwhile thing to check is that the bit can be locked in
position when chiseling (and even better at a rotation of your
choosing). Some allow it to rotate freely which makes jobs like chasing
and socket back boxes far less easy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

Might be worth cheking this is just intended for lubing the
shank of the bits and not like on some of the cheapies (older models
especially) that require a resovoir refilling with grease every so
often. This they then proceed to spew out all over you and anything else
you are drilling near!

I've always kept the grease-hole on my cheapie well stuffed with grease
and never noticed it spewing out anywhere. It's hardly used any to start
with.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

Might be worth cheking this is just intended for lubing the
shank of the bits and not like on some of the cheapies (older models
especially) that require a resovoir refilling with grease every so
often. This they then proceed to spew out all over you and anything else
you are drilling near!

I've always kept the grease-hole on my cheapie well stuffed with grease
and never noticed it spewing out anywhere. It's hardly used any to start
with.

It varies greatly with model. The original design that NuTool (and many
others) used to flog was notorious - it swallowed quite a bit with each
refil, and after a few the whole drill would end up as a big sticky
mess! On most branded machines there is not need to lubricate the tool
at all, you are just supposed to lubricate the shank of a bit every so
often.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly
for the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the
market - less than £100.

I've just bought a cheapie from Screwfix, after my original NuTool finally
expired after 5 years of abuse that should have been reported to the RSPCD.

It's pretty similar, but the hammer is more effective and it has a safety
clutch. It also seems to drill much more effectively and I can't work out
why, given that it just involves spinning the bit round. I think it is
because it has variable speed, and I could slow it down to a much more
effective tempo.

I noticed the *******s have dropped 5 quid off the price, too, and I've only
had it two weeks!

I'd only use it for very light breaking, though. If you had proper concrete
to break, I'd hire a proper breaker from the shop. I doubt a proper breaker
would be worth owning for occassional use.

Christian.