Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Choosing a sds drill/breaker for occasional use

.. wrote:

aldi has a cheap 1500W drill in soon:

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

the BPM is expressed ad RPM and rotary stop seems to be called chiselling
but there's a helpline and a 3 year warranty. 」29.99 for occasional use ? it's
hard to find fault with it but I'm sure someone will be along to do so, soon.

Since you asked! ;-)

No mention of a safety clutch, and it weighs getting on for 6kg. I would
also be a little wary since it includes "rubber dust cap, ..., pot of
grease". Might be worth cheking this is just intended for lubing the
shank of the bits and not like on some of the cheapies (older models
especially) that require a resovoir refilling with grease every so
often. This they then proceed to spew out all over you and anything else
you are drilling near!

Another worthwhile thing to check is that the bit can be locked in
position when chiseling (and even better at a rotation of your
choosing). Some allow it to rotate freely which makes jobs like chasing
and socket back boxes far less easy.

--
Cheers,

John.