Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Default Choosing a sds drill/breaker for occasional use

.. wrote:
dg wrote:
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly
for the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the
market - less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

aldi has a cheap 1500W drill in soon:

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

the BPM is expressed ad RPM and rotary stop seems to be called chiselling
but there's a helpline and a 3 year warranty. £29.99 for occasional use ? it's
hard to find fault with it but I'm sure someone will be along to do so, soon.

Yes I noticed this. Seems good value

I have used one of this type of cheap drill/breaker, and was not
impressed with the power - breaking out a 1/2 brick wall for an
opening. I know it was not ideal, but it was available and I gave it a
try.

If a 2kg named drill like the Dewalt or Hitachi mentioned is not much
better in this type of situation, then it may well do me to buy a
cheapy. But I just wanted to know if the actual 'breaking power' is
significantly better on one of these 2kg [named] units than on the
generic lower priced units. Thats the bottom line

dg