Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Choosing a sds drill/breaker for occasional use

dg wrote:
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

dg

I was very much in the 'do-I-need-this? ' situation about a year ago
when I bought a cheap one from Lidl/Aldi. That is it was around £30
and is an in-line motor and weighs I guess around 2kg. The attirude
was that if it didn't work or I didn't have any use for it then there
wasn't much money wasted.

It sat around for a while and then came into it's own recently and
drilled something in the order of 40 holes 10mm dia 150mm deep in
concrete blocks and what a dream. Every hole was perfect, there was no
stress in drilling them - it just 'melted' it's way through the blocks,
and the machine looks as good as new - and all for £30! Not sure
when it will get used again, but it has paid for itself already.

Rob