Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Choosing a sds drill/breaker for occasional use

"dg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a sds drill/breaker for occasional use, well mainly for
the breaker function and something at the cheaper end of the market -
less than £100.

I have noticed that those cheap breakers (with the vertical motor)
weigh up to 6kg but the impact force or 'blows per minute' is often
lower than a branded 2kg drill/breaker.

So, is weight more important than the BPM for breaking?
And what advantage would a 1000w motor with 3200 BPM have over a 500w
with 5000 BPM?

What to you want to break?

For light work such as socket back boxes and chases down walls for cables
then John Rumm's suggestion (in most cases) is a bargain buy (I paid £120
for one a few years ago). If you want to smash a patio to bits or put holes
in concrete for fence posts than forget it and buy something heavier.

Adam