Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Default OT Time wasters - rant - selling motorbike security chain

On 22 Apr 2018 10:20:32 GMT, David wrote:

Some time ago I took advice on uk.rec.motorcycles about the possible value
of a Squire padlock, chain and bag for securing a motorcycle.

After due consideration I listed it on Gumtree for £25 (including another
lighter spare chain).

One person interested (apparently) conversation over some days went
roughly:

Still got it?

Yes.

What's your best price?

As listed.

Any movement on the price yet?

No. Must be worth at least £100 new.

O.K. fair enough - will you post it? (!!!!!!!)

Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail. Extra chain weighs 3.1 kilos and postage would cover that as
well. Just send me a cheque for the cost including postage, and once it
has cleared I'll send the chain.

Strangely, it has all gone quiet.

Contemplating a few points, such as Gumtree shows your approximate
location, this person presumably has a motorbike then what is the issue
with turning up and paying cash?

Is this some sort of scam where Gumtree is trawled to find a trusting soul
who will post off goods without money up front?

Or is this an idiot who hasn't even worked out that motorcycle security
chains are HEAVY?

Ah, well, better with that off my chest.

Cheers

Dave R

Many years ago I worked for a private company doing contract work for
the government.

The company went on to rival G4 in barrel scraping for staff, but in
those days there were "requirements".

One of their temporary maintenance contracts was advertised for hands
on aerial work in Germany.

The jobs were filled and all went quiet.

A few months later the same advert was posted with the line stating
that the personnel applying should be happy working at height.

Little gems like this, and of course the Brexit vote lead me to
believe that it is totally impossible to underestimate the mental
abilities of the population of Britain.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

"David" wrote in message
[...]

ebay rip you off but you have to be giving stuff away to sell on
scumtree.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 April 2018 11:20:35 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Some time ago I took advice on uk.rec.motorcycles about the possible value
of a Squire padlock, chain and bag for securing a motorcycle.
After due consideration I listed it on Gumtree for £25 (including another
lighter spare chain). ....
Is this some sort of scam where Gumtree is trawled to find a trusting soul
who will post off goods without money up front?

Possibly they would have sent you a fake Western Union money transfer email ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article ,
David wrote:
Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail.

6.49 via Hermes - and a drop off point often more convenient than the post
office.

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

YTC#1 wrote:

ebay rip you off but you have to be giving stuff away to sell on
scumtree.......

In what way do Ebay rip you off ?
They supply a service, and they charge a fee for that service.

X-posted to uk.d-i-y so you must expect a higher than normal number of
mouth-breathers.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:
Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail.

6.49 via Hermes - and a drop off point often more convenient than the post
office.

That's assuming Herpes don't lose it. Which they will.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
More garages needed....
neil underscore murray at fastmail dot fm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:
Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail.

6.49 via Hermes - and a drop off point often more convenient than the
post office.

That's assuming Herpes don't lose it. Which they will.

I'm rather old. And have posted many many things. Only one ever got lost.
By Parcel Force. Luckily, I was insured. Took a lot of effort to get
payment, though.

Pray tell how many things you've posted with Hermes that they've lost?

But perhaps you typed in the names wrong. ;-)

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 April 2018 13:35:36 UTC+1, The Older Gentleman wrote:
That's assuming Herpes don't lose it. Which they will.

They've never actually lost anything of mine. Occasionally they've hidden it in a very strange place and had to come back the next day to find it again and actually deliver it to my door.

Citylink put my loudspeakers in the wrong cage and had to retrieve them from the recycling plant before they got granulated.

The only one who's actually lost something has been Royal Mail / Parcelforce.

The problem with Hermes is you don't know when something will actually arrive, as in 6pm on Sunday is a perfectly sensible delivery time if that's when the Hermes lady is passing. The Hermes drivers all seem to be pensioners, and with me they have to climb a lot of stairs to earn their 50p per package.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 13:35:36 UTC+1, The Older Gentleman wrote:
That's assuming Herpes don't lose it. Which they will.

They've never actually lost anything of mine. Occasionally they've
hidden it in a very strange place and had to come back the next day to
find it again and actually deliver it to my door.

Citylink put my loudspeakers in the wrong cage and had to retrieve them
from the recycling plant before they got granulated.

The only one who's actually lost something has been Royal Mail /
Parcelforce.

The problem with Hermes is you don't know when something will actually
arrive, as in 6pm on Sunday is a perfectly sensible delivery time if
that's when the Hermes lady is passing. The Hermes drivers all seem to
be pensioners, and with me they have to climb a lot of stairs to earn
their 50p per package.

I'm also never sure when a RM parcel will be delivered - unless by the
regular postman. And he can vary by a couple of hours.

Hermes deliveries round here seem to be mainly youngish Eastern Europeans
- like so much else.

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I'm also never sure when a RM parcel will be delivered - unless by the
regular postman. And he can vary by a couple of hours.

I've started to receive parcel notifications from them e.g.

Royal Mail has received your item WU002891251GB from 4YOURHOME
at Swan House DO and we'll attempt to deliver it today, 14th
March unless we have alternative arrangements with you.
Your item will not require a signature on delivery
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Pray tell how many things you've posted with Hermes that they've lost?

It's stuff that was sent to me, actually. And the fact that my ife
waited in for three consecutive days for the ****s to collect an item,
and every day they said they called and nobody was in.

It transpired that the bloke had gone on holiday and not got a
replacement. Lying *******s. They have a terrible reputation, like
Yodel.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
More garages needed....
neil underscore murray at fastmail dot fm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On 22/04/2018 13:35, The Older Gentleman wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:
Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail.

6.49 via Hermes - and a drop off point often more convenient than the post
office.

That's assuming Herpes don't lose it. Which they will.

Go somewhere like parcel2go, and book it with UPS or similar. They will
collect it form you as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

John Rumm wrote:

Go somewhere like parcel2go, and book it with UPS or similar. They will
collect it form you as well.

I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier. There's a drop-off point
half a mile away as well.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
More garages needed....
neil underscore murray at fastmail dot fm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes:

In article ,
David wrote:
Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail.

6.49 via Hermes - and a drop off point often more convenient than the post
office.

And the added bonus that they might do themselves an injury chucking
it over the garden gate.

--
Mike Fleming
Coitum volantum non dono

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Davey wrote in news

Here, we have the same guy delivering for Hermes every time. I have
never had a problem with him.

Yes, deliveries to me by Hermes are no problem as regular chap is great
- he wouldn't leve some plant plugs outside one day due to a frost so I
picked them up from his house a mile away. Same with signed for items,
go get them from his house if not at home on the day.

I have had a Yodel delivery that I was waiting for, always in sight
and sound of the front door, and the first I knew that the fella was
there was when I heard the letter box snap as he dropped a "We called
but you weren't in" note through it.

DPD now let you know within a time window when the driver will be
there, and he/she is usually at the beginning of the slot.

Yes, they are the best as you can easily change the date by logging on.
Givi stuff from Italy arrives in 3 days!

Royal Mail is a crapshoot.

not had a problem but again, depot is nearby to collect items

I try to use click & collect where possible for purchases and the
availability will influence my choice of retailer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 00:53:55 +0100, Davey wrote:

DPD now let you know within a time window when the driver will be there,
and he/she is usually at the beginning of the slot.

You can now track exactly where the driver is at any given point in time.
On Friday I went downstairs to the front door just as he was pulling into
our road.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I'm also never sure when a RM parcel will be delivered - unless by the
regular postman. And he can vary by a couple of hours.

I've started to receive parcel notifications from them e.g.

Royal Mail has received your item WU002891251GB from 4YOURHOME
at Swan House DO and we'll attempt to deliver it today, 14th
March unless we have alternative arrangements with you.
Your item will not require a signature on delivery

I can usually guess the day things will be delivered. Some companies give
you a time window too. Which is very useful if you're not intending being
in all day.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article o.uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Pray tell how many things you've posted with Hermes that they've lost?

It's stuff that was sent to me, actually.

Ah - right. Can you be sure it was ever sent?

And the fact that my ife
waited in for three consecutive days for the ****s to collect an item,
and every day they said they called and nobody was in.

Given you normally take a parcel to the post office if using RM, why not
take it to a collection centre?

It transpired that the bloke had gone on holiday and not got a
replacement. Lying *******s. They have a terrible reputation, like
Yodel.

Ah - right. Do you work for RM, then?

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 00:53:55 +0100, Davey wrote:

Here, we have the same guy delivering for Hermes every time. I have
never had a problem with him.

Our local Hermes person is a woman who comes back in the evening if we're
not in.

I have had a Yodel delivery that I was waiting for, always in sight and
sound of the front door, and the first I knew that the fella was there
was when I heard the letter box snap as he dropped a "We called but you
weren't in" note through it.

SWMBO was expecting something and that happened here. She saw him getting
out of his van, and got ready to go to the front door. A few seconds
later he was getting back in the van. He'd carded us.

She called his depot, and they contacted him. He swore blind he'd knocked
several times and waited about 2 minutes.

SWMBO pointed out that we had CCTV of him running up to the door,
thrusting the card into the letter box, and running back to his van.

They called him and made him drive back. He was not happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

Round here they were excellent.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On 23/04/2018 10:28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 20:54:58 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 22/04/2018 13:35, The Older Gentleman wrote:
[quoted text muted]

Go somewhere like parcel2go

I used Parcel2go once. Never again.

They're just one of these what-the-****-do-they-do-for-their-cut-????
front ends to *real* couriers.

Well yes, I'd have thought that was obvious?

What I find maddening is how much cheaper it is to book through them
than the courier direct. I took a not too big parcel to the PO - £20.
P2G - £6. So I had to take the parcel home, print out the stamp, and
take it back to the same PO.

I think P2G make a big chunk of their money through insurance. It's
placed in an 'idiot if you don't take it' way under the net quote. Bit
like car hire.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 April 2018 10:36:01 UTC+1, Colin Irvine wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 00:53:55 +0100, Davey wrote:

DPD now let you know within a time window when the driver will be there,
and he/she is usually at the beginning of the slot.

You can now track exactly where the driver is at any given point in time.
On Friday I went downstairs to the front door just as he was pulling into
our road.

drivers must fear for their safety now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On 23/04/2018 11:28, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I've had that with DPD, who are usually very good.

They turned up ~6pm to work "There was nobody there" "Really? We're a
24hr site, I have a list of around 50 people who were on site, and we
have CCTV covering the barrier at the time you supposedly came here,
which you don't appear on".

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:13:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

They also give a totally fictional four hour window.

CPC do still use them for some free deliveries. If it's a big item, or if
it has a lithium battery in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

Round here they were excellent.

Just had a 'free' delivery here from CPC today. Ordinary post.

I've a feeling it depended on the individual UPS driver, though. My guess
is 'my' one speeded things up by pre-writing the cards so they could be
put through the letter box quickly. Once might have been OK, but it
happened 3 times. Also the CPC UPS deal they'd got didn't include any
re-delivery. Had to go miles to collect things - in London.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

They also give a totally fictional four hour window.

CPC do still use them for some free deliveries. If it's a big item, or
if it has a lithium battery in it.

Ah - right. My stuff is mostly small.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 11:20:35 AM UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

perhaps he was hoping you'd say OK "I'll include free postage". Then he would have said, Ok I'll give you £100 less the postage and collect it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 April 2018 14:14:21 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

CPC do still use them for some free deliveries. If it's a big item, or
if it has a lithium battery in it.

Ah - right. My stuff is mostly small.

cough no comment.

Had a few CPC packaged items here, why can;t they put what the product is on the packt !!!!

on this bag

RE03795
Resistor
QTY 1 PK 100
P/L BZC0402Z
11/01/18 10:11
AT

Why can't they include the actual value, was is that less important than the date and time it was packed ?

anther bag I have similar to above but with
10V capacitor no mention of it's capacity .
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

So use one you *do* like then - parcel2go aggregate lots of different
couriers on the one site so you can choose which you fancy, and the
prices are usually significantly less than going to the courier direct.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On 23/04/2018 10:28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 20:54:58 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 22/04/2018 13:35, The Older Gentleman wrote:
[quoted text muted]

Go somewhere like parcel2go

I used Parcel2go once. Never again.

They're just one of these what-the-****-do-they-do-for-their-cut-????
front ends to *real* couriers.

Since they typically offer significantly better prices less than
"missing out the middle man" and going to the courier direct, that is
pretty easy to answer!

Its often the case that if you can pre-book adequate volume the price
tumbles in comparison to what jo public is expected to pay for a one off.

You only find this out when one of the couriers they use ****s up, and
all of a sudden it's "nothing to do with us guv, you've got to deal with
the courier yourself"

That was not my experience when I had a parcel I was sending arrive
damaged. It was an ebay sale, and they refunded the full cost of the
auction.

After my experience, the company I worked for took a board decision not
to use them again.

Each to their own.

The reality is there is an element of pot luck. While some couriers are
better or worse than others overall, much seems to come down to your
local depot. Same seems to be the case with p2g - some obviously have a
bad experience, and others positive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Jethro_uk wrote:

They're just one of these what-the-****-do-they-do-for-their-cut-????
front ends to *real* couriers.

I've used them for about five years, as a business seller.

I had two problems (damaged parcels and goods inside) in the same week.
Luck of the draw.

As I *always* send my stuff insured, I filed two claims. P2G actually
got in touch by phone,presumably because their bot flagged it up as a
possible fraud. we had a chat, and they agreed, without any need for
further evidence, that it was just one of those things ("We can see
you've got an excellent record") and credited me for both damaged
deliveries immediately.

So, yes, they care.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
More garages needed....
neil underscore murray at fastmail dot fm

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

John Rumm wrote:

much seems to come down to your
local depot.

I think this is right on the money.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
More garages needed....
neil underscore murray at fastmail dot fm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

RJH wrote:

I think P2G make a big chunk of their money through insurance. It's
placed in an 'idiot if you don't take it' way under the net quote. Bit
like car hire.

I just factor it in whenever I use them, and charge the customer
accordingly.

--
BMW K1600GTL; Kawasaki Ninja H2, Z440; Yamaha 660 Ténéré;
KTM Duke 390; Honda C90, CG125, CD200, CB400F
More garages needed....
neil underscore murray at fastmail dot fm
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article , John
Rumm writes:

In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

So use one you *do* like then - parcel2go aggregate lots of different
couriers on the one site so you can choose which you fancy, and the
prices are usually significantly less than going to the courier direct.

I use Interparcel but it's the same principle. As UPS appear the least
likely to destroy musical instruments, and I can insure musical
instruments for their value rather than the £150 maximum that
Parcelfarce allows (but doesn't tell you), they're the ones I use. Had
to use DPD recently and they didn't bother turning up to collect
(although they turned up for the rebooking).

--
Mike Fleming
Coitum volantum non dono
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

So use one you *do* like then - parcel2go aggregate lots of different
couriers on the one site so you can choose which you fancy, and the
prices are usually significantly less than going to the courier direct.

I've had zero problems with Hermes. Now my preferred method of sending
things. They have a drop off point more convenient than my local post
office. As well as being cheaper. The convenient drop off place would
likely influence me most - as otherwise I doubt there's much to pick and
choose between them.

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

writes:

I've had zero problems with Hermes. Now my preferred method of sending
things. They have a drop off point more convenient than my local post
office. As well as being cheaper. The convenient drop off place would
likely influence me most - as otherwise I doubt there's much to pick and
choose between them.

Hermes and Yodel have both regularly dropped parcels over my garden
gate and left them on my front doorstep.

--
Mike Fleming
Coitum volantum non dono