Posted to uk.d-i-y
mentalguy2004

Default Hardstanding for motorbike?

Hi,

My front garden has a concrete path with normal soil type stuff (shingled
over) either side. I want to add a small (8 feet x 3 feet-ish) hardstanding
to park my motorbike on (and to incorporate a security bracket), adjacent to
the path and then re-shingle the whole area. How deep would I have to
concrete to support the weight of the bike? Up until now I have got away
with parking the bike on the shingle, with a wooden block under the
sidestand to prevent it sinking, but I want something more permanent.

Any advice much appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "mentalguy2004" contains these words:

How deep would I have to
concrete to support the weight of the bike?

A couple of inches would be plenty, though three might be easier to lay.

If you want a good solid anchor then dig a pit into which you can set a
hardened chain, Aldi have some at the moment. Sink it a foot down and
tamp the concrete well round it.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Guy King
writes
The message
from "mentalguy2004" contains these words:

How deep would I have to
concrete to support the weight of the bike?

A couple of inches would be plenty, though three might be easier to lay.

If you want a good solid anchor then dig a pit into which you can set a
hardened chain, Aldi have some at the moment. Sink it a foot down and
tamp the concrete well round it.

Passing almost anything long, metal and meaty through the chain & laying
it before you put down the slab will save the need for the pit. Even with a
block or a pit I'd still put something, even fence wire, through the buried
chain to tie into the concrete.

To the o/p, are you sure you want a slab? You'll need about 750kg of 'stuff'
to lay a 3" slab. Precast 2' slabs would do the job but then you would need
a pit & concrete for the anchor.

Lidl also had bike chain & padlock recently, padlock a bit flakey,
galvanised chain looked ok.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

fred wrote:
In article , Guy King
writes
The message
from "mentalguy2004" contains these words:

How deep would I have to
concrete to support the weight of the bike?

A couple of inches would be plenty, though three might be easier to
lay.

If you want a good solid anchor then dig a pit into which you can
set a hardened chain, Aldi have some at the moment. Sink it a foot
down and
tamp the concrete well round it.

Passing almost anything long, metal and meaty through the chain &
laying it before you put down the slab will save the need for the pit.

sage advice. rebar worked very well for the ones I've seen built and
as it's a front garden, a minimix truck and a couple of wheel barrows
will be sufficient to lay a 3" or even a 4" slab with relatively little aggro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "mentalguy2004" contains these words:

How deep would I have to
concrete to support the weight of the bike?

A couple of inches would be plenty, though three might be easier to lay.

If you want a good solid anchor then dig a pit into which you can set a
hardened chain, Aldi have some at the moment. Sink it a foot down and
tamp the concrete well round it.

Yes, security - the more the better - is vital

Mary
who speaks from sad experience of just using a very stout chain round a
wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from fred contains these words:

Lidl also had bike chain & padlock recently, padlock a bit flakey,
galvanised chain looked ok.

That was exactly the chain I had in mind!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Guy King
writes
The message
from fred contains these words:

Lidl also had bike chain & padlock recently, padlock a bit flakey,
galvanised chain looked ok.

That was exactly the chain I had in mind!

Oh, think it was Aldi . . .
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from fred contains these words:

Lidl also had bike chain & padlock recently, padlock a bit flakey,
galvanised chain looked ok.

That was exactly the chain I had in mind!

Oh, think it was Aldi . . .

Yes, you're right. Amidst a huge pile of unsold motorbiking stuff.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

mentalguy2004 wrote:
Hi,

My front garden has a concrete path with normal soil type stuff (shingled
over) either side. I want to add a small (8 feet x 3 feet-ish) hardstanding
to park my motorbike on (and to incorporate a security bracket), adjacent to
the path and then re-shingle the whole area. How deep would I have to
concrete to support the weight of the bike? Up until now I have got away
with parking the bike on the shingle, with a wooden block under the
sidestand to prevent it sinking, but I want something more permanent.

Any advice much appreciated.

Dont waste time concreting. Get a tin of crushed limestone, lay it down
about 4" think and simply use it till its crushed flat and getting
weedy, and THEN spray the weds off and put a couple of inches of shingle
over it.

Shingle will slide off concrete.

You might get away with concreteing and spreading shingle onto the wet
surface though.

A bike is nothing..4" of crete will be adequate if the soil is
reasonably stable.