Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna
chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a
25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the
current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I
can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its
condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness. Further, I
took it to a local saw shop to see if it actually runs. A couple of
squirts of gas, and examination by the mechanic and it was off and
running. The guy said off handedly that's a little gem, and sounds like
a new one.

What's next? Do invite a prospective seller to open it up somehow and
look inside as proof? Comments? Is there a way to buy tool insurance, a
warranty? I just had a thought related to that which might work. I'm in
a small time but we do have a very, very good tool store here. Maybe I
need to visit them for advice.

BTW, we bought the saw originally to clear some land, but an injury kept
it from being used. In the interim another land clearing solution
intervened, and the saw was pretty much forgotten until recently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

What size saw? My pos Poulan died and I can use a new one

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

What's next is to list it on Craigslist at your asking price. If it doesn't
sell, you can:

a) Lower your asking price, or
b) Keep the saw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 5:36*am, "W. eWatson" wrote:
[...]

10 yr old, well its just like any piece of metal unused it can go bad,
I guess you never heard of internal rust, drying rubber, cracking
plastic, drying out of Capacitors. 25% off isnt enough, I let my
Lawnboy sit in a shed a year and the bearings rusted it runs but its
slower and that rust is now bearing grinding compound. So to it being
actualy worth only 25% less with no warranty [ even if I was to
believe its was unused , Yea right ] its not worth 75% of new value,
maybe its worth 20- 25%, if I had it in my hand and it started , ran,
cut, restarted, didnt leak etc. That thing could have several seals
and components fail after a week and cost hundreds fo fix, Ive seen
that happen many times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:36:16 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote Re Selling an Old New Chain Saw?:

[...]

Put it on eBay. Instead of a 25% reduction, you might get a 25%
premium over the original price.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put it on eBay. Instead of a 25% reduction, you might get a 25%
premium over the original price.

add to this...there is an excellent chance that it was made better
(and of better materials) than today's Husky.

bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair

With no warranty, and no store to return it to if there are problems,
and no store to shop in to see if it's the exact model someone wants
vs. other choices... I think you'd be extremely lucky to get anywhere
near 3/4 of the original cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 7:05*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

I filter all messages from google groups.- Hide quoted text -

Unused 10 years in a basement, 25% premium! I guess there is a sucker
born every minute. Echos new motors are better the Husky then or now,
just read Echos Gov hour rating, that is proven quality. My Echo Husky
Honda tool shop says the new Echos outlast Huskavarna. I sold a
similar Gas Echo trimmer, "basicly" new 10 yrs old I got 25% of new
value, a little cleaning and it looked new. This is a unknown person
mail deal, no warranty, no return, no money back, you dont know if it
wont be leaking in a week from dried gaskets and hoses or even run
right. Now if he lets you use it a few days thats different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Put it on eBay. Instead of a 25% reduction, you might get a 25%
premium over the original price.

Heavy item incurs high shipping cost which may reduce the final price.
Try craigslist -- start with a high price, then reduce it a little bit every
few days until it sells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 8:12*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

You're just looking for a give-away price...and you would grab it in a
second!

Posted to alt.home.repair

A number of other things I can think of come into play too.

1) In general, I think if you went to the store this morning and
bought a brand new, good quality chain saw, I'd be very surprised if
you could get 75% of the price this afternoon (assuming no natural
disasters).

2) Are parts still available?

3) Is it a particularly desirable model for some reason?

4) At least it's a big name saw.

And, I probably would not invite prospective buyers to open it up.
Even if the gaskets are OK, they may be stuck and will be destroyed in
the process. The result will be leaks that will discourage other
buyers (the one that opens it probably won't buy it because he now
knows the gaskets are toast).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

Rule of thumb is that if it's used, it is worth half retail in good
condition. Even though this has never been used, it will need some work
because it has sat. There are gaskets and rubber parts in the carb that
will need to be checked and or replaced. If you CAN get more than half,
that's good, too.

I'd say, a new one is $350, and this one has never been used. How much do
you offer, and take phone numbers. In this tight economy, who knows. And
for a few bucks more, one can buy one with a warranty.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

I got a new Husky 345 for $237 online from Norwalk Power Equipment Company.
Lots of stores wanted a hundred bucks more than that. Check your online
competition before fixing the price it's "worth new".

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna
chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a
25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the
current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I
can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its
condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness.

You may misunderstand. Most mechanical components of a chainsaw
are speedily exposed to view and show how much wear they have had.
Rubber components also indicate their age. You do not need to protect
buyers with the experience to recognize these signs.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 1:04*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

It seems to be some people's fallacy that because they paid 'X'
dollars for something and it hasn't had much, if any, use, it will
retain a certain percentage of value based on what it originally cost!

Not so! Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for
it. Along with an obligation on the part of the seller to tell the
truth and the whole truth about the item.

An unused or even a used item can be worth very little/virtually
nothing. Examples abound.

Or be very desirable perhaps to a few or very limited market.
Examples ........

For sale; used, medium-low mileage 1956 Ford, very collectible. And
probably valuable well beyond any original cost although well used.

For offers; little used almost brand new volume set of Encyclopedia
Americana 1990s edition. Original cost over $500.
No offers, although item in perfect condition (some of the pages were
still stuck together from printing) it's outdated reference material
in this age. Unless one is book collector?

For sale, vacant building lot New Orleans, original house removed due
to storm damage! Risky buy eh?

Old style (cathode ray tube) stereo-sound TV set. Original cost three
years ago over $800, selling because wife gave me a new flat screen
digital capable set to watch football. Make an offer! He
got IIRC less than $50.

A few year old high quality ViewSonic 19 inch monitor, am using it
right now. Got it for $35 because everybody, banks, offices, homes
converting to LCD flat screens.

Be lucky for an older style, although unused but long stored, power
tool to get more than say $150 for it. If I was not too far away
(shipping cost) I might chance say $100, since it is a Husky!

Long expired warranty and parts availability for it? And it doesn't
happen to be one of those that must use leaded gas???? And or certain
'additives' with unleaded gas?

I love getting old things going again. And then boasting about
recycling and reuse blah, blah, blah etc.

But, depending on how much use I might make of it and not wanting to
waste my time; if really needing a chainsaw, go out and buy new!

terry
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

Rule of thumb is that if it's used, it is worth half retail in good
condition.

Yep, anything used is rarely worth more than 1/2 of retail pricing. Put it
on Craigslist for 75% of retail, and be willing to take 1/3 less than that
so the guy thinks he's a good negotiator.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stan" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 1:04 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message

[...]

And exactly to what you say. But I use the general rule of thumb that if
it's a day old, it's used, and going rate is 50% IF in real good condition.
I see yard sales where there's something that's worth $100 and they want
$10. And reverse.

I got a real deal from Norwalk with free shipping, and since you can compare
exact model #'s knew I was getting it for about $100 cheaper than locally.
Of course, I got the oil, spare chains, the hat, etc, etc, etc, where they
made big bucks .................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"W. eWatson" wrote in message

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna
chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a
25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the
current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I
can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its
condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness.

You may misunderstand. Most mechanical components of a chainsaw
are speedily exposed to view and show how much wear they have had.
Rubber components also indicate their age. You do not need to protect
buyers with the experience to recognize these signs.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

YES, YOU DO! If you do NOT do things to protect the buyers, including
providing a full written notarized disclosure statement US DRKE -
33987/43.93 Mod 7/3/1a, you can be fined $5,000 and be held in prison for up
to five years. Read it. It's there.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , stan wrote:
[...]
An unused or even a used item can be worth very little/virtually
nothing. Examples abound..

[...]
For offers; little used almost brand new volume set of Encyclopedia
Americana 1990s edition. Original cost over $500.
No offers, although item in perfect condition (some of the pages were
still stuck together from printing) it's outdated reference material
in this age. Unless one is book collector?

Circa 1980, I was looking for a set of encyclopedias and constrained by my
budget to buy used. Phoned about an ad that didn't list the year of
publication. Seller told me "1942". Couldn't understand why I wasn't
interested -- "but they're in excellent condition" she protested. Well, you
see, it's the information in them -- they won't have anything about space
travel, computers, or nuclear energy, I told her. "Why not?" DUH!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

20", but I probably live a long way from you, N. Calif. I'm just guessing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

I'm close to putting in an ad in our small town newspaper. It's
interesting about that. Advertising has shrunk, so it appears that they
now offer almost free ads. For a basic ad, no frills, it's free. If you
want a cute border, it cost $1.00. A photo is $5.00, etc. They put on
their web site for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

You might be right about e-bay. I once put a Lego robotics kit up for
sale for bid. It cost me $70 new. The final bid was $220.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
A number of other things I can think of come into play too.

1) In general, I think if you went to the store this morning and
bought a brand new, good quality chain saw, I'd be very surprised if
you could get 75% of the price this afternoon (assuming no natural
disasters).

2) Are parts still available?

3) Is it a particularly desirable model for some reason?

4) At least it's a big name saw.

And, I probably would not invite prospective buyers to open it up.
Even if the gaskets are OK, they may be stuck and will be destroyed in
the process. The result will be leaks that will discourage other
buyers (the one that opens it probably won't buy it because he now
knows the gaskets are toast).

Yes, parts are available. The current model is good seller, and I
wouldn't be happy about a "test drive" on wood, or opening it up to any
great extent. Enough maybe to show glistening new material. I could take
a picture I suppose to show prospective buyers. I could refer them to
the saw shop where I had it cleaned and started.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

The mechanic that looked at it pronounced the interior in good shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, probably a good idea to check. I think it's had a good history and
there may be comparable sales.
Posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:
On Sep 6, 1:04 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message

[...]

You may be right, but I can see where some people may think that 10
years is worth a big drop in price. Makes negotiating a problem with
them. I plan to be up front about it. I have no idea when the model went
to the next version.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 9:01*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Sep 6, 8:12*am, ransley wrote:

[...]

second!- Hide quoted text -

I sold an echo gas timmer I used 3-4 hrs to my lawn guy for 1/4 new,
no I would not buy something I could not try, yea used once before
Katrina, Ive heard that about cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 3:10*pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
SteveB wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

The mechanic that looked at it pronounced the interior in good shape.- Hide quoted text -

So you can supply the shops number and techs name and a reciept that
"opened it up" and verified its great and new. Because why would a
shop open it and ruin the gaskets. You are in "an interesting position
of trying to sell" Thats suspicious by how you have stated it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might be right about e-bay. I once put a Lego robotics kit up for sale
for bid. It cost me $70 new. The final bid was $220.

I got $4300 for a travel trailer I paid $200 for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
Yes, parts are available. The current model is good seller, and I
wouldn't be happy about a "test drive" on wood, or opening it up to any
great extent. Enough maybe to show glistening new material. I could take
a picture I suppose to show prospective buyers. I could refer them to
the saw shop where I had it cleaned and started.

Re-word your description to call it "NOS" (new old stock). People like
NOS stuff! I personally think it would be fairly simple to tell from
the outside of it that it's never been used. Either it's not used or
someone took extraordinary measures to use it but keep it looking brand
new. If it were used it would have telltale signs like little scratches
and such. I'd have gas and oil in it so it can be started but I
wouldn't let anyone to try cutting wood. That would surely make it look
used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

of trying to sell" �Thats suspicious by how you have stated it.- Hide quoted text -

It seems a lot of people here are acting suspicious of his
description. He doesn't seem to be trying to sell it here,but instead
asking the advice of people here as to how he can go about selling at
the best price possible while remaining honest.

I have little doubt about the veracity of his statements. I might
have more doubts if this *were* a Craigslist ad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Give it for free to someone who is down and out that can make a buck
with it. You will feel good. Remember, you forgot all about it.

Thomas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas" wrote in message
Give it for free to someone who is down and out that can make a buck
with it. You will feel good. Remember, you forgot all about it.

Thomas.

I promise you this. If you get rid of it, you will need it within a week.
Happens to me every time.

Steve