Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna
chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a
25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the
current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I
can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its
condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness. Further, I
took it to a local saw shop to see if it actually runs. A couple of
squirts of gas, and examination by the mechanic and it was off and
running. The guy said off handedly that's a little gem, and sounds like
a new one.

What's next? Do invite a prospective seller to open it up somehow and
look inside as proof? Comments? Is there a way to buy tool insurance, a
warranty? I just had a thought related to that which might work. I'm in
a small time but we do have a very, very good tool store here. Maybe I
need to visit them for advice.

BTW, we bought the saw originally to clear some land, but an injury kept
it from being used. In the interim another land clearing solution
intervened, and the saw was pretty much forgotten until recently.