Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna
chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a
25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the
current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I
can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its
condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness. Further, I took
it to a local saw shop to see if it actually runs. A couple of squirts of
gas, and examination by the mechanic and it was off and running. The guy
said off handedly that's a little gem, and sounds like a new one.

What's next? Do invite a prospective seller to open it up somehow and look
inside as proof? Comments? Is there a way to buy tool insurance, a
warranty? I just had a thought related to that which might work. I'm in a
small time but we do have a very, very good tool store here. Maybe I need
to visit them for advice.

BTW, we bought the saw originally to clear some land, but an injury kept
it from being used. In the interim another land clearing solution
intervened, and the saw was pretty much forgotten until recently.

Rule of thumb is that if it's used, it is worth half retail in good
condition. Even though this has never been used, it will need some work
because it has sat. There are gaskets and rubber parts in the carb that
will need to be checked and or replaced. If you CAN get more than half,
that's good, too.

I'd say, a new one is $350, and this one has never been used. How much do
you offer, and take phone numbers. In this tight economy, who knows. And
for a few bucks more, one can buy one with a warranty.

Steve