Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

"stan" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 1:04 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"W. eWatson" wrote in message

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna
chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a
25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the
current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I
can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its
condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness. Further, I
took
it to a local saw shop to see if it actually runs. A couple of squirts
of
gas, and examination by the mechanic and it was off and running. The guy
said off handedly that's a little gem, and sounds like a new one.

What's next? Do invite a prospective seller to open it up somehow and
look
inside as proof? Comments? Is there a way to buy tool insurance, a
warranty? I just had a thought related to that which might work. I'm in
small time but we do have a very, very good tool store here. Maybe I
need
to visit them for advice.

BTW, we bought the saw originally to clear some land, but an injury kept
it from being used. In the interim another land clearing solution
intervened, and the saw was pretty much forgotten until recently.

I got a new Husky 345 for $237 online from Norwalk Power Equipment
Company.
Lots of stores wanted a hundred bucks more than that. Check your online
competition before fixing the price it's "worth new".

Steve- Hide quoted text -

It seems to be some people's fallacy that because they paid 'X'
dollars for something and it hasn't had much, if any, use, it will
retain a certain percentage of value based on what it originally cost!

Not so! Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for
it. Along with an obligation on the part of the seller to tell the
truth and the whole truth about the item.

An unused or even a used item can be worth very little/virtually
nothing. Examples abound.

Or be very desirable perhaps to a few or very limited market.
Examples ........

For sale; used, medium-low mileage 1956 Ford, very collectible. And
probably valuable well beyond any original cost although well used.

For offers; little used almost brand new volume set of Encyclopedia
Americana 1990s edition. Original cost over $500.
No offers, although item in perfect condition (some of the pages were
still stuck together from printing) it's outdated reference material
in this age. Unless one is book collector?

For sale, vacant building lot New Orleans, original house removed due
to storm damage! Risky buy eh?

Old style (cathode ray tube) stereo-sound TV set. Original cost three
years ago over $800, selling because wife gave me a new flat screen
digital capable set to watch football. Make an offer! He
got IIRC less than $50.

A few year old high quality ViewSonic 19 inch monitor, am using it
right now. Got it for $35 because everybody, banks, offices, homes
converting to LCD flat screens.

Be lucky for an older style, although unused but long stored, power
tool to get more than say $150 for it. If I was not too far away
(shipping cost) I might chance say $100, since it is a Husky!

Long expired warranty and parts availability for it? And it doesn't
happen to be one of those that must use leaded gas???? And or certain
'additives' with unleaded gas?

I love getting old things going again. And then boasting about
recycling and reuse blah, blah, blah etc.

But, depending on how much use I might make of it and not wanting to
waste my time; if really needing a chainsaw, go out and buy new!

terry

And exactly to what you say. But I use the general rule of thumb that if
it's a day old, it's used, and going rate is 50% IF in real good condition.
I see yard sales where there's something that's worth $100 and they want
$10. And reverse.

I got a real deal from Norwalk with free shipping, and since you can compare
exact model #'s knew I was getting it for about $100 cheaper than locally.
Of course, I got the oil, spare chains, the hat, etc, etc, etc, where they
made big bucks .................

Steve