Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flag to show trailer corner.

Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Reversing would be a challenge!

I thought about fixing flags to the rear corners so I could see where they
were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Bik.../dp/B004CRNJR8

Looks to be a potential solution. Wing mirrors are 1400 mm off the ground
(to give an idea of eye level) so these should be visible through the back
as the bolts on the trailer I am thinking of using are about 650mm of the
ground when the trailer is level.

These may be a bit flimsy, and possibly not designed for travelling at 60
mph.

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13-Apr-18 7:07 PM, David wrote:
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Reversing would be a challenge!

I thought about fixing flags to the rear corners so I could see where they
were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Bik.../dp/B004CRNJR8

Looks to be a potential solution. Wing mirrors are 1400 mm off the ground
(to give an idea of eye level) so these should be visible through the back
as the bolts on the trailer I am thinking of using are about 650mm of the
ground when the trailer is level.

These may be a bit flimsy, and possibly not designed for travelling at 60
mph.

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

When I had a small trailer, I bolted a couple of broom handles onto the
rear corners to act as guides.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 19:22:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 13-Apr-18 7:07 PM, David wrote:
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I
can hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Reversing would be a challenge!

I thought about fixing flags to the rear corners so I could see where
they were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Bik.../dp/B004CRNJR8

Looks to be a potential solution. Wing mirrors are 1400 mm off the
ground (to give an idea of eye level) so these should be visible
through the back as the bolts on the trailer I am thinking of using are
about 650mm of the ground when the trailer is level.

These may be a bit flimsy, and possibly not designed for travelling at
60 mph.

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

When I had a small trailer, I bolted a couple of broom handles onto the
rear corners to act as guides.

Was it a wooden trailer?

This is a fairly ancient tin trailer so not much to bolt to apart from the
lower rear corners.

I would prefer to use the existing bolts, one on each side.

Worth considering, though, as broom handles are not expensive. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2018 19:07, David wrote:
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Rear view camera?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2018 19:07, David wrote:
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Reversing would be a challenge!

I thought about fixing flags to the rear corners so I could see where they
were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Bik.../dp/B004CRNJR8

Looks to be a potential solution. Wing mirrors are 1400 mm off the ground
(to give an idea of eye level) so these should be visible through the back
as the bolts on the trailer I am thinking of using are about 650mm of the
ground when the trailer is level.

These may be a bit flimsy, and possibly not designed for travelling at 60
mph.

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

Cheers

Dave R

You could try some radio antennas- the kind used for PMR radio. You'd
need to make a simple bracket - a simple plate wound do with a few holes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APL-MC-15...YAAOSw1WJZN-o0

You could add a flag but a bit of bright coloured heat strike tubing
over the rod may be enough.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 20:22:34 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APL-MC-15...R-AMATEUR-1-2-

WAVE-140-172MHz-MOBILE-ANTENNA-KIT/192501774336?
hash=item2cd1fff800:g:~ZYAAOSw1WJZN-o0

You could add a flag but a bit of bright coloured heat strike tubing
over the rod may be enough.

Thanks.

Respectfully pointing out that the default option is £5.95.

It looks as though this is only 1085 mm long so barely tall enough and I
would have to find somewhere to drill a hole.

Still, an interesting option I hadn't considered.

Confuse the hell out of bystanders if it looks as though I have twin radio
antennae on the back of my trailer.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

If you cant see brightly coloured poles reaching 4ft above a
trailer i think you've not understood the problem...

E.g. Are there wheels on this PoS?
What sort of car?

I used to use garden canes propped in the rear corners by the
****e in the load , or temp with cable ties if empty although IME
manoeuvring comically small empty trailers is usually quicker by
hand...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2018 19:46, David wrote:
[...]

Some magnets to attach the poles then?
Just take them off when driving fast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" Wrote in message:
[...]

Indeed, wcamerahy would you need to be estimating the position of
the back corners of an attached trailer whilst doing 60mph,
forwards?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Reversing would be a challenge!

I thought about fixing flags to the rear corners so I could see where they
were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Bik.../dp/B004CRNJR8

Looks to be a potential solution. Wing mirrors are 1400 mm off the ground
(to give an idea of eye level) so these should be visible through the back
as the bolts on the trailer I am thinking of using are about 650mm of the
ground when the trailer is level.

These may be a bit flimsy, and possibly not designed for travelling at 60
mph.

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

Cheers

Dave R

Weld or screw a piece of pipe to each corner, that you can put a
temporary stick or flag in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13-Apr-18 7:46 PM, David wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 19:22:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

When I had a small trailer, I bolted a couple of broom handles onto the
rear corners to act as guides.

Was it a wooden trailer?...

Indeed it was. It was a long time ago. I have had an Ifor Williams box
trailer for a couple of decades now - much easier to reverse as well as
having a lot more capacity.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Reversing would be a challenge!

I thought about fixing flags to the rear corners so I could see where they
were.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Bik.../dp/B004CRNJR8

Looks to be a potential solution. Wing mirrors are 1400 mm off the ground
(to give an idea of eye level) so these should be visible through the back
as the bolts on the trailer I am thinking of using are about 650mm of the
ground when the trailer is level.

These may be a bit flimsy, and possibly not designed for travelling at 60
mph.

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

Cheers

Dave R

How about fixing a horizontal hosepipe to the trailer, same length as the
distance between your wing mirrors?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2018 18:07:28 GMT
David wrote:

Anything else I might be able to just bolt on?

I'd use something like fibreglass rod (which may be sold as e.g.
replacement tent pole) and a foam ball glued to the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 10:03:57 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 13-Apr-18 7:46 PM, David wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 19:22:41 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

When I had a small trailer, I bolted a couple of broom handles onto
the rear corners to act as guides.

Was it a wooden trailer?...

Indeed it was. It was a long time ago. I have had an Ifor Williams box
trailer for a couple of decades now - much easier to reverse as well as
having a lot more capacity.

I still painfully miss my twin axle 2 ton trailer which was enormously
useful and very easy to reverse.

However very little use over the last couple of years plus competition for
space on the drive. Sold it. Sniffle.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 22:53:14 +0100, Jim K wrote:

[...]

Uh duh!

Let me make it simple for you.

Two basic requirements:

(1) Shows the location of the corners when reversing.

(2) Remains fixed to the trailer and undamaged when towing at the legal
maximum of 60 mph on dual carriageway.

Too difficult to comprehend?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Did you read what I wrote you sarky old kef?

Why must your requirements be mutual?

Could be interesting when you crash the welded poles in corners
model, & kebab body parts of passersby. But I expect you will
claim to have already thought of that and have some old tennis
balls helpfully skewered on top to "prevent" such a mess "ever"
happening. ********.

You do the thinking for a change you dope...
Q. Why does no one else have or even sell a solution to your problem?
A. Because you haven't thought it through yet.

Carry on.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr 2018 13:15:42 GMT
David wrote:

Two basic requirements:

(1) Shows the location of the corners when reversing.

(2) Remains fixed to the trailer and undamaged when towing at the
legal maximum of 60 mph on dual carriageway.

The suggestion was that the poles needn't remain in place - they could
just be attached before reversing, then removed and stowed away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14-Apr-18 4:14 PM, Rob Morley wrote:
On 14 Apr 2018 13:15:42 GMT
David wrote:

Two basic requirements:

(1) Shows the location of the corners when reversing.

(2) Remains fixed to the trailer and undamaged when towing at the
legal maximum of 60 mph on dual carriageway.

The suggestion was that the poles needn't remain in place - they could
just be attached before reversing, then removed and stowed away.

If you have to get out and attach the poles, there will be few cases
when it would not be just as simple to uncouple the trailer and move it
by hand.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 16:51:38 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 14-Apr-18 4:14 PM, Rob Morley wrote:
On 14 Apr 2018 13:15:42 GMT David wrote:

Two basic requirements:

(1) Shows the location of the corners when reversing.

(2) Remains fixed to the trailer and undamaged when towing at the
legal maximum of 60 mph on dual carriageway.

The suggestion was that the poles needn't remain in place - they could
just be attached before reversing, then removed and stowed away.

If you have to get out and attach the poles, there will be few cases
when it would not be just as simple to uncouple the trailer and move it
by hand.

Also, if you have to reverse to get out of a possible problem on a busy
roundabout you don't want to find yourself having to leap out of the car
and start fixing poles to the back of the trailer before you can reverse.

Of the two options, having them permanently fixed seems the more sensible
option.

As you say, few cases. However the time when it isn't really sensible to
get out and move it by hand will be the time when you don't have the time
and space to go wandering around in busy traffic.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2018 17:21, David wrote:
[...]

On one occassion (luckily towing a caravan rather than my trailer), I
entered a section of roadworks on a motorway that was down to two lanes.
One lane crossed to the other side, leaving only a single lane. Traffic
stopped and a while later the police got everyone to reverse out of the
section. They probably wouldn't have appreciated me holding everything
up, getting out, removing the trailer cover and hunting for reversing flags.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-04-13, Bill Wright wrote:
On 13/04/2018 19:07, David wrote:
Since changing cars I can't see the little trailer when towing it. I can
hear it so I know it hasn't disappeared.

Rear view camera?

Often shows a good view of the towbar, handy for hitching up, but less
good at seeing where the back of the trailer is heading when reversing.

I did get a suction cup mount for a cheap GoPro clone with wifi, before
I had a car with a built in camera. You could aim that to point more
directly backwards, but while looking at a phone screen on a driveway
was okay, you would probably want something better than that.