Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worcester 18R1 final leg of pipe size?

Busy seeking quotes for the replacement boiler and one guy quoting over
the phone, when I described the layout, was suggesting the pipe from
meter to boiler needs be entirely 22mm. Worcester+'s own conditions
says he. It is 22mm all the way from meter, to the adjacent oven, then
final 2m drops down to 15mm where it goes on to feed our present 18Kw
boiler.

We have had no issues due to pressure drop in the 10 years since
install, at all. The installer ten years ago was at first insistent a
new pipe would need be run from the meter, outside the house to the
boiler. I did the pipe calcs and made clear I would not allow him to do
that, rather I would go elsewhere. He gave in and reused the existing
feed.

The thing is, the branch down from 22mm to 15mm is on the wall, behind
units, so swapping the 15mm to 22mm would be no simple task - but is it
necessary for a Worcester / Bosch 18R1 18Kw boiler's guarantee?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
[...]

Ring me & ask
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K laid this down on his screen :
Ring me & ask

How might I do that?

What is your phone number?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Jim K laid this down on his screen :
Ring me & ask

How might I do that?

Using a telephone usually works best...

What is your phone number?

0330 123 3366

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K formulated the question :
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Jim K laid this down on his screen :
Ring me & ask

How might I do that?

Using a telephone usually works best...

What is your phone number?

0330 123 3366

The Worcester / Bosch helpline...

....and they say there is no such condition to their boiler being
installed, so long as the pressure is maintained above their minimum
specified pressure with all appliances in operation. No doubt it will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 11:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Busy seeking quotes for the replacement boiler and one guy quoting over
the phone, when I described the layout, was suggesting the pipe from
meter to boiler needs be entirely 22mm. Worcester+'s own conditions says
he. It is 22mm all the way from meter, to the adjacent oven, then final
2m drops down to 15mm where it goes on to feed our present 18Kw boiler.

I have not checked, but I would be surprised if the gas inlet is 22mm on
the boiler - so it will have to reduce somewhere!

What other appliances are fed from the same pipe run?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this a wise move on an open usenet group?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Jim K laid this down on his screen :
Ring me & ask

How might I do that?

Using a telephone usually works best...

What is your phone number?

0330 123 3366

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote on 26/03/2018 :
Is this a wise move on an open usenet group?
Brian

No problem, it was Worcester / Bosch's helpline number.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote on 26/03/2018 :
I have not checked, but I would be surprised if the gas inlet is 22mm on the
boiler - so it will have to reduce somewhere!

What other appliances are fed from the same pipe run?

A 3.5Kw radiant gas fire and a gas oven/ hob, both branched directly
off the 22mm run, then the final section of pipe at 15mm feeding the
boiler. All as installed originally, except back then, the original
boiler was a 32Kw unit and replaced 10 years ago with an 18kw
condensing boiler, because much less heat input was needed.

The installer fitting the last boiler, suggested it would need a new
pipe installed, on the surface - a long and ugly route around much of
the the outside of the house. My pipe calcs at the time suggested that
was rubbish and so it proved, because he gave in and used the existing
supply which has been absolutely fine for the past 10 years.

Now another installer is suggesting the existing may not be adequate,
from my description over the phone and is suggesting Worcester
guarantee would be invalidated if the final 15mm pipe were not
upgraded. Worcester said, if the pressure was adequate at the boiler,
with all in use, then no problem at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 16:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm wrote on 26/03/2018 :
I have not checked, but I would be surprised if the gas inlet is 22mm
on the boiler - so it will have to reduce somewhere!

What other appliances are fed from the same pipe run?

A 3.5Kw radiant gas fire and a gas oven/ hob, both branched directly off
the 22mm run, then the final section of pipe at 15mm feeding the boiler.
All as installed originally, except back then, the original boiler was a
32Kw unit and replaced 10 years ago with an 18kw condensing boiler,
because much less heat input was needed.

So depending on the peak demand of the cooker, you could have another
1.5m^3 per hour there. That gives just under 20m of 22mm equivalent if
you use the whole 1 mBar drop available.

(you probably need to reserve about 0.25 mBar for the 2m run of 15mm)

The installer fitting the last boiler, suggested it would need a new
pipe installed, on the surface - a long and ugly route around much of
the the outside of the house. My pipe calcs at the time suggested that
was rubbish and so it proved, because he gave in and used the existing
supply which has been absolutely fine for the past 10 years.

Now another installer is suggesting the existing may not be adequate,
from my description over the phone and is suggesting Worcester guarantee
would be invalidated if the final 15mm pipe were not upgraded. Worcester
said, if the pressure was adequate at the boiler, with all in use, then
no problem at all.

I have noted in the past that many installers seem to work to a rule of
thumb when it comes to pipe sizing rather than actually doing the sums.
So if they always suggest upgrading the pipe, then it will usually be
more than adequate without needing to think about it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm has brought this to us :
I have noted in the past that many installers seem to work to a rule of thumb
when it comes to pipe sizing rather than actually doing the sums. So if they
always suggest upgrading the pipe, then it will usually be more than adequate
without needing to think about it.

A guy called earlier, to look at the job and he agreed with me it was
fine as is, unless a large combi were to be installed. The 22mm pipe
run at a guess, is around 13 to 15metres, before it drops down to 15mm
for the final bit to the boiler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/03/2018 16:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this a wise move on an open usenet group?

It's not the Catholic Contraception help line number that he gave out.

--
Adam