Paul O.

Default night stand leg and face frames size

Am in the planning stages of a couple night stands and was wondering if for
a particular size if there was a rule of thumb for the leg width and frame
width. Don't want to get to wide or to narrow for the size of the stand.
Plans with dim's aren't that expensive, so I guess I could get a set of
plans and just modify it to what I want. Rather not if I don't have to, so
see what you all suggest first. Thanks for your advice.

--
Paul O.

Patriarch

"Paul O." wrote in
:

Am in the planning stages of a couple night stands and was wondering
if for a particular size if there was a rule of thumb for the leg
width and frame width. Don't want to get to wide or to narrow for the
size of the stand. Plans with dim's aren't that expensive, so I guess
I could get a set of plans and just modify it to what I want. Rather
not if I don't have to, so see what you all suggest first. Thanks for
your advice.

I'll post a picture on APBW of the bedside tables I completed recently.
The leg stock I used there was 8/4 maple, thicknessed to about 1.75".
These are quite sturdy, and sturdy looking, which was part of the design
goal. There were no curves or tapers in the leg portion, which may change
the way you undertake your design.

Patriarch
Thieme

Patriarch wrote in
. 97.136:

"Paul O." asks about a rule of thumb for leg width to frame width

snip

Patriarch replies with this message and pics in the binary group:
I'll post a picture on APBW of the bedside tables I completed
recently. The leg stock I used there was 8/4 maple, thicknessed to
about 1.75". These are quite sturdy, and sturdy looking, which was
part of the design goal. There were no curves or tapers in the leg
portion, which may change the way you undertake your design.

Patriarch,

Your night stands look great! I've drawn up some plans that are *very*
similar to yours. I plan to use mine in the family room next to my
recliner. I'm leaving the bottom shelf open (i.e. no door) so I can slide
my laptop in when not in use. Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me
more about the joinery you used for the shelf. It's not quite clear what
you did and I haven't decided how I'm going to do it. It almost looks like
your panels meet in the corners and I'm guessing you used cleats underneath
the shelf that are attached to the lower rails. Also, are the panels
attached so that they meet in the corners?

Thanks,

~Jeff
near Memphis, TN
Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul O." wrote in message
Am in the planning stages of a couple night stands and was wondering if
for a particular size if there was a rule of thumb for the leg width and
frame width. Don't want to get to wide or to narrow for the size of the
stand. Plans with dim's aren't that expensive, so I guess I could get a
set of plans and just modify it to what I want. Rather not if I don't have
to, so see what you all suggest first. Thanks for your advice.

My wife keeps a small tape measure in her handbag. We go to a store, see
something that we like, I make a quick crude sketch and take a few
dimensions. I've also scaled dimensions from photographs in catalogs.
You'd be amazed at how well that works.

After all that, it comes down to personal taste. Do you want elegant tapered
legs or hefty pillars?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Patriarch

Thieme wrote in
:

[...]

Jeff, these tables are built to be STRONG, for a number of reasons.
Mostly because the joinery was easy, and I started these when I had
taken only a couple of woodworking classes. The legs are 8/4 maple,
rabbeted and biscuited to to 3/4" maple veneer plywood. The cross
pieces are 6/4 maple, also rabbeted and biscuited together. Side to
side joinery is with dust frame construction of 3/4 plywood, attached
with pocket screws. The bottom shelf is more 3/4" maple ply, attached
as you surmised. The cherry top, 6/4 solid, is screwed through the dust
frame from the drawer pocket, and sort of floats to accomodate wood
movement. There is a plywood back, inset from the legs, to conceal
cords, etc. The drawers are birdeye maple, with half-blind dovetails,
cut with an Akeda jig. Part of the drawer stop construction is of Port
Orford Cedar, because it smells so good, and I had a little bit of
really nice stock given me by a friend.

You didn't ask, but the finish is super blond shellac, rubbed out with
synthetic steel wool and Butcher's wax.

Rather like asking a grandmother about her grandchild, no? ;-)

My daughter-in-law loves them. It was 18 months from start to finish,
with mostly life getting in the way. They are not that difficult to
build. And they were away at school in another state, making it easy to
let other things get onto the schedule.

Enjoy making yours. I have an oak end table someone made for me 15
years ago, with feature similar to what you describe. A pull-out shelf
on simple glides manages cords really well.

If I can answer any more questions, feel free to ask.

Patriarch

Rumpty

Patriarch,

Great looking table!

--

Rumpty

Thieme

Patriarch supplies joinery details for his night stands:
Jeff, these tables are built to be STRONG, for a number of reasons.

Thanks for the details.

~Jeff
near Memphis, TN
Paul O.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Thieme wrote in
:

Patriarch wrote in
. 97.136:

"Paul O." asks about a rule of thumb for leg width to frame width

snip

Patriarch replies with this message and pics in the binary group:
I'll post a picture on APBW of the bedside tables I completed
recently. The leg stock I used there was 8/4 maple, thicknessed to
about 1.75". These are quite sturdy, and sturdy looking, which was
part of the design goal. There were no curves or tapers in the leg
portion, which may change the way you undertake your design.

Patriarch,

Your pics didn't show up on my server for some reason. Hate to ask you to
post again to see if they show, but would like to see them. Thanks.
--
Paul O.

Patriarch

"Paul O." wrote in
m:
snip
Your pics didn't show up on my server for some reason. Hate to ask you
to post again to see if they show, but would like to see them. Thanks.

Check your email.
Patriarch

"Rumpty" wrote in :

Patriarch,

Great looking table!

--

Rumpty

Thank you.

Paul O.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Paul O." wrote in
m:
snip
Your pics didn't show up on my server for some reason. Hate to ask you
to post again to see if they show, but would like to see them. Thanks.

Check your email.

Hey, thanks. Those are beautiful. Great job.
--
Paul O.

Paul O.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. Put up a couple of drawings on abpw of what I
decided on doing. Maybe change a little as I go. Thanks again.
--
Paul O.

face frames, PH vs. biscuit habbi Woodworking 6 February 21st 05 06:06 AM
Face frame cabinet with flush sides todd Woodworking 12 April 20th 04 10:50 PM
M & T Joints. Near orgasmic experience Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 8 December 30th 03 03:11 PM
Super Volcanoes Gunner Metalworking 1 November 29th 03 01:40 PM
Neander question: face "jointing" and thickness planing Dennis M. O'Connor Woodworking 6 September 19th 03 08:14 AM