Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any experiences of hook'n' loop "pad savers"?

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for
the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand
curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 00:07, wrote:
On 17/03/2018 21:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/03/2018 17:22,
wrote:

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for
the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand
curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

That's interesting. Where do you buy them from - Axminster?

Yup, I think that is where I got them from last time.

I'm about to start sanding a 1930s parquet floor that I've partially
re-laid (about 250 blocks by the time I get the last ones down
tomorrow). I can't decide whether to hire a Sandglider or to buy an
Erbauer 150mm random orbital sander from SFix - not the ideal tool, but
with care I should be able to get the floor reasonably flat while
retaining a little of the "character" ... unless anyone has a better
suggestion?

Depends on if you need a ROS left over after the job ;-)

Since it sounds like you are not seeking to completely flatten the
floor, the ROS should do the job, although it will be somewhat tedious
on hands and knees. Good kneelers and anti vibration gloves recommended.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 15:12, wrote:
Floors seldom need sanding anwway.

Seldom isn't never.

When we lifted the lounge carpet and found parquet we wanted to save it.
Previous owners hadn't - and had slopped paint on it

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:52:53 +0000
Tim Lamb wrote:

Hmm.. Our TV lounge has pitch pine parquet. The rug was rolled back
for my 21st. birthday dancing and the soft pine damaged by stiletto
heels.

Been carpeted ever since. I wonder what the new owners will do.

Steam out the dents?