DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Any experiences of hook'n' loop "pad savers"? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/607167-any-experiences-hookn-loop-pad-savers.html)

[email protected] March 17th 18 05:22 PM

Any experiences of hook'n' loop "pad savers"?

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

alan_m March 17th 18 06:02 PM

On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:
Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I've found that they work well with BUT the hook and loop doesn't like
being abused. Let the tool do the work and don't force the tool into the
work as the heat generated will destroy both the loop and hook surfaces.

I now only by "branded" hook/loop sanding pads as I've not had a good
experience with some no-name pads from discount/pound stores.

alan_m March 17th 18 06:04 PM

On 17/03/2018 18:02, alan_m wrote:
On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:
Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I've found that they work well with BUT the hook and loop doesn't like
being abused. Let the tool do the work and don't force the tool into the
work as the heat generated will destroy both the loop and hook surfaces.

I now only by "branded" hook/loop sanding pads as I've not had a good
experience with some no-name pads from discount/pound stores.

Sorry misread the question - I've no experience with pad savers.

[email protected] March 17th 18 06:55 PM

On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:
Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I've found that they work well with BUT the hook and loop doesn't like
being abused. Let the tool do the work and don't force the tool into
the work as the heat generated will destroy both the loop and hook
surfaces.

I now only by "branded" hook/loop sanding pads as I've not had a good
experience with some no-name pads from discount/pound stores.

Sorry misread the question - I've no experience with pad savers.

Thinking of things like these:
https://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-di...avers-ax851925

John Rumm March 17th 18 09:51 PM

On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for
the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand
curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

[email protected] March 18th 18 12:07 AM

On 17/03/2018 21:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for
the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand
curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

That's interesting. Where do you buy them from - Axminster?

I'm about to start sanding a 1930s parquet floor that I've partially
re-laid (about 250 blocks by the time I get the last ones down
tomorrow). I can't decide whether to hire a Sandglider or to buy an
Erbauer 150mm random orbital sander from SFix - not the ideal tool, but
with care I should be able to get the floor reasonably flat while
retaining a little of the "character" ... unless anyone has a better
suggestion?

John Rumm March 18th 18 01:43 PM

wrote:

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for
the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand
curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

That's interesting. Where do you buy them from - Axminster?

Yup, I think that is where I got them from last time.

I'm about to start sanding a 1930s parquet floor that I've partially
re-laid (about 250 blocks by the time I get the last ones down
tomorrow). I can't decide whether to hire a Sandglider or to buy an
Erbauer 150mm random orbital sander from SFix - not the ideal tool, but
with care I should be able to get the floor reasonably flat while
retaining a little of the "character" ... unless anyone has a better
suggestion?

Depends on if you need a ROS left over after the job ;-)

Since it sounds like you are not seeking to completely flatten the
floor, the ROS should do the job, although it will be somewhat tedious
on hands and knees. Good kneelers and anti vibration gloves recommended.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

[email protected] March 18th 18 03:12 PM

On 17/03/2018 17:22, wrote:

Are they worthwhile on a random orbital sander?

I use them all the time - certainly cheaper than a new backing pad for
the sander. The padded ones are particularly good if you want to sand
curved surfaces. (or to sand a surfaced curved even!)

That's interesting. Where do you buy them from - Axminster?

I'm about to start sanding a 1930s parquet floor that I've partially
re-laid (about 250 blocks by the time I get the last ones down
tomorrow). I can't decide whether to hire a Sandglider or to buy an
Erbauer 150mm random orbital sander from SFix - not the ideal tool, but
with care I should be able to get the floor reasonably flat while
retaining a little of the "character" ... unless anyone has a better
suggestion?

You're a sucker for punishment using a random orbital on an entire floor.
Floors seldom need sanding anwway.

NT

[email protected] March 18th 18 07:43 PM

wrote:

[...]

I suspect you're right about the ROS.
As I said, it's a 1930s floor that is rather uneven because of being
relaid. It's also got 80 years worth of dirt, wax and whatever else on
it - a sanding will do it good.

Vir Campestris March 19th 18 09:16 PM

On 18/03/2018 15:12, wrote:
Floors seldom need sanding anwway.

Seldom isn't never.

When we lifted the lounge carpet and found parquet we wanted to save it.
Previous owners hadn't - and had slopped paint on it :(

Andy

Tim Lamb[_2_] March 20th 18 11:52 AM

Any experiences of hook'n' loop "pad savers"?

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 18/03/2018 15:12, wrote:
Floors seldom need sanding anwway.

Seldom isn't never.

When we lifted the lounge carpet and found parquet we wanted to save
it. Previous owners hadn't - and had slopped paint on it :(

Hmm.. Our TV lounge has pitch pine parquet. The rug was rolled back for
my 21st. birthday dancing and the soft pine damaged by stiletto heels.

Been carpeted ever since. I wonder what the new owners will do.

--
Tim Lamb

Rob Morley March 20th 18 03:23 PM

Any experiences of hook'n' loop "pad savers"?

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:52:53 +0000
Tim Lamb wrote:

Hmm.. Our TV lounge has pitch pine parquet. The rug was rolled back
for my 21st. birthday dancing and the soft pine damaged by stiletto
heels.

Been carpeted ever since. I wonder what the new owners will do.

Steam out the dents?