Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default 2" Hook and Loop Holder

Hi guys, looking to replace the 2" hook and loop sandpaper disk holder I use
on my turnings. Is there one brand in particular that lasts longer than
others? I've got one with a firm pad that I purchased from Woodworker's
Supply but the foam tore. I glued it back together but it's looking like it
may not last much longer. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Why not jsut make one? It is fast and easy. Try
http://aroundthewoods.com/sander.shtml
http://aroundthewoods.com/sander02.html
or for more versatility
http://aroundthewoods.com/sanding.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Hi guys, looking to replace the 2" hook and loop sandpaper disk holder I
use on my turnings. Is there one brand in particular that lasts longer
than others? I've got one with a firm pad that I purchased from
Woodworker's Supply but the foam tore. I glued it back together but it's
looking like it may not last much longer. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"P.I._Maine" wrote:

Hi guys, looking to replace the 2" hook and loop sandpaper disk holder I use
on my turnings. Is there one brand in particular that lasts longer than
others? I've got one with a firm pad that I purchased from Woodworker's
Supply but the foam tore. I glued it back together but it's looking like it
may not last much longer. Jeff

Same thing happened to me, I bought the replacement from Craft Supplies
USA

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Darrell, Thanks for your suggestion. I've learned a lot about turning
from you and others posting to the rec over the past 8 months. I've been to
your web site pertaining to building your own holder but haven't found a
suitable firm foam at a reasonable price. I'll check out the local
salvation army again, haven't been in a while. Our "local" woodturning club
is actually about 4-5 hours away and there are very few woodturners in my
area. Jeff

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Hi guys, looking to replace the 2" hook and loop sandpaper disk holder I
use on my turnings. Is there one brand in particular that lasts longer
than others? I've got one with a firm pad that I purchased from
Woodworker's Supply but the foam tore. I glued it back together but it's
looking like it may not last much longer. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ralph, do you find that this holder lasts a bit longer? Looks like it
may be better made. Cost with shipping would be about $19.49 . Sounds a
bit pricey but it may fit the bill if it'll last longer than a couple of the
holders from Woodworker's Supply... Jeff

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Hi Ralph, do you find that this holder lasts a bit longer? Looks like it
may be better made. Cost with shipping would be about $19.49 . Sounds a
bit pricey but it may fit the bill if it'll last longer than a couple of
the
holders from Woodworker's Supply... Jeff

Try these. Paper lasts at least three times as long, pads last forever, and
they are aggressive as the daylights. Cuts sanding time.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...bholdext-power

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...-bholdext-flex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"P.I._Maine" wrote:

Hi Ralph, do you find that this holder lasts a bit longer? Looks like it
may be better made. Cost with shipping would be about $19.49 . Sounds a
bit pricey but it may fit the bill if it'll last longer than a couple of the
holders from Woodworker's Supply... Jeff

Yes, much better. Been almost a year and it's still going strong

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Jeff

I have a link here for high density foam pads, the idea is to use
those on top of your disk, so that when the velcro or foam is worn or
damaged you only replace that part, though I've used them for new
disks

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/prices/HLBchartcU.php

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 26, 12:58 pm, "P.I._Maine"
wrote:
Hi guys, looking to replace the 2" hook and loop sandpaper disk holder I use
on my turnings. Is there one brand in particular that lasts longer than
others? I've got one with a firm pad that I purchased from Woodworker's
Supply but the foam tore. I glued it back together but it's looking like it
may not last much longer. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

O Jeff I forgot, I also have used foam from a wet suit, I use it also
as a seal with my vacuum chuck, works great, you might be able to find
a used suit for cheap.
good luck
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi William, I took a look at what Enco had (
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=510-0461 )and came up
with a 2" holder for $4.31. I could then add the foam and velcro for a
fairly low cost holder. Thanks for mentioning Enco, I forget to check with
them. Jeff

.. .

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Leo, I actually was able to come up with a piece of foam to use that is
about 3/8" thickness. I had an old knee pad from a long time ago that has a
foam insert inside. It's a fairly firm higher density foam that should work
well to make about six 2" holders. I've never actually seen the foam used
in wet suits but will definately look into it next time I go to the coast.
We just got back from a trip there last weekend actually Thanks for your
suggestion! ps... I'm surprised we don't see very many turning pictures on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking . I guess most are posted at
Woodcentral's site. Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
O Jeff I forgot, I also have used foam from a wet suit, I use it also
as a seal with my vacuum chuck, works great, you might be able to find
a used suit for cheap.
good luck
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi George, I actually like the discs from Woodworkers Supply
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...ARTNUM=133-754 though I
admittedly haven't tried other brands yet. I went and bought the jar of 50
on each grit from 100 to 400 a few months ago so I've got a bit to use up
still. Thanks for letting me know about the holders and discs at Packard
Woodworks, I'll look into them when supplies are getting low. Jeff

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Hi Ralph, do you find that this holder lasts a bit longer? Looks like it
may be better made. Cost with shipping would be about $19.49 . Sounds a
bit pricey but it may fit the bill if it'll last longer than a couple of
the
holders from Woodworker's Supply... Jeff

Try these. Paper lasts at least three times as long, pads last forever,
and they are aggressive as the daylights. Cuts sanding time.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...bholdext-power

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...-bholdext-flex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"P.I._Maine" wrote:

Hi George, I actually like the discs from Woodworkers Supply
https://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLP...ARTNUM=133-754 though I
admittedly haven't tried other brands yet. I went and bought the jar of 50
on each grit from 100 to 400 a few months ago so I've got a bit to use up
still. Thanks for letting me know about the holders and discs at Packard
Woodworks, I'll look into them when supplies are getting low. Jeff

Having used the green discs from both Packard and Woodworker, I suspect
they are made by the same source

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org