Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "hook & loop" system sucks!

On Saturday, March 21, 1998 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, Sigurd246 wrote:
i have a bosch 5" random orbit sander, with the "hook and loop" system for
fastening the sanding disk to the tool. i do alot of sanding with this tool
and like its design. however i have had to replace the mounting pad twice in
the last couple of months because the hook and loops wore out. at $22 a pop,
this could get expensive. i think that the old fashioned adhesive backed disks
would work better. question is, does bosch make a replacement disk, without
the hook and loops. can't seem to find them in any tool supplier catalogues.
i've tried to just stick the adhesive pads to the worn out hooks, but it
wouldn't hold. why do so many manufacturers use this system, which doesn't
seem to last, or is it just me?

Was this really posted in '98?

Is it that this problem is solved and no-one has this problem still?

I am not politically correct when it comes to the title!

I agree with the first post, I must be very heavy handed as I find hook and loop does not last for me, and my wife must be equally heavy handed as she finds exactly the same with her workshop tools.

Bosch PSM80 sander - £38 in the UK, £15 for the new hook and loop pad, which last me 3 months. Also a dust collector with a paper filter, the whole collector has to be replaced at£8 instead of a replaceable paper filter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in
:

[...]

Bosch PDA 100 delta sander - £14 for a plastic triangle with hook and
loop.

Bosch PMF 190E multi tool, £15 for a plastic triangle with hook and
loop.

At a time when environmental issues have at last been recognised why
does Bosch make energy friendly washing machines but resource wasting
workshop tools?

Not only that but I can't get spares for my 25 year old electric
plane!

Obviously not only am I heavy handed but I do not learn through
experience and seem to keep buying Bosch!

I'm curious... How often do you change the paper? Are you buying decent
paper?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 07:30:54 -0700, admin wrote:

Was this really posted in '98?

Is it that this problem is solved and no-one has this problem still?

I seem to remember responding way back then. I've still got the same
Bosch sander I had then and I still haven't had to replace the pad!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2015 11:52 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

It's either the paper or the pad or both. My Fein would melt the hook
and loop. Festool too hot to touch at times but the pad does fine until
it is worn out, about every 3 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:mqil93$l76$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 07:30:54 -0700, admin wrote:

Was this really posted in '98?

Is it that this problem is solved and no-one has this problem still?

I seem to remember responding way back then. I've still got the same
Bosch sander I had then and I still haven't had to replace the pad!

Now that's remarkable. I have the PSA version of the sander,
and I have to replace pads every 4 or 5 years. The dense
foam rubber they're made of eventually gets crumbly.

Probably depends partly on how much you use it, and partly
on the climate (the local climate being hard on any sort of
plastic or rubber).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:35:48 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

I seem to remember responding way back then. I've still got the same
Bosch sander I had then and I still haven't had to replace the pad!

Now that's remarkable. I have the PSA version of the sander, and I have
to replace pads every 4 or 5 years. The dense foam rubber they're made
of eventually gets crumbly.

Hmm. I'm not where I can look now, but mine has what appears to be hard
rubber with the hook and loop stuff on it. Never reminded me of foam.
And I don't use it a lot, maybe 20-30 hours a year. Our humidity is
pretty low as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2015 7:07 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:35:48 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

I seem to remember responding way back then. I've still got the same
Bosch sander I had then and I still haven't had to replace the pad!

Now that's remarkable. I have the PSA version of the sander, and I have
to replace pads every 4 or 5 years. The dense foam rubber they're made
of eventually gets crumbly.

Hmm. I'm not where I can look now, but mine has what appears to be hard
rubber with the hook and loop stuff on it. Never reminded me of foam.
And I don't use it a lot, maybe 20-30 hours a year. Our humidity is
pretty low as well.

Not even the foam pads look like foam, until they fly apart. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/13/2015 7:07 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:35:48 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

I seem to remember responding way back then. I've still got the
same Bosch sander I had then and I still haven't had to replace the
pad!

Now that's remarkable. I have the PSA version of the sander, and I
have to replace pads every 4 or 5 years. The dense foam rubber
they're made of eventually gets crumbly.

Hmm. I'm not where I can look now, but mine has what appears to be
hard rubber with the hook and loop stuff on it. Never reminded me of
foam. And I don't use it a lot, maybe 20-30 hours a year. Our
humidity is pretty low as well.

Not even the foam pads look like foam, until they fly apart. ;~)

Yeah, they have some sort of harder skin, but they're foam
on the inside.

Back when I bought the sander ('94?) there were two stiffnesses
of pads offered, but now there only seems to be one. I always
thought the harder pad (the one still available) was borderline
too soft anyway, so maybe the softer one didn't sell.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2015 12:53 PM, John McCoy wrote:
[...]

Hard pad for Bosch sander - 16 dollars on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RS035-5-...=bosch+ros+pad

Soft pad for Bosch sander - 12 dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-In-Soft-...xgy_469_text_y