Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Condensate

Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes seen this sort of thing before. They can also hang from street lamps and
actually damage people or cars underneath when they drop off from a great
height.
Many years ago when we first moved in in the 1950s, we used to get icicles
inside the house where the ceiling curved around at the eaves.
We had a paraffin heater at the time so I'm assuming his is where the
moisture came from.
This cold snap has been strange at least here in that there have been very
few iciccles according to other people. the humidity of the air has been
incredibly low for some reason.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out that
way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

My sisters new boiler flue was like this. Its a cock-up. You should get
whoever fitted it back to do it properly (if possible).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff expressed precisely :
This cold snap has been strange at least here in that there have been very
few iciccles according to other people. the humidity of the air has been
incredibly low for some reason.

Hence the sublimation, rather than the more usual and messy - melting
of the snow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:01:52 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

This cold snap has been strange at least here in that there have been
very
few iciccles according to other people. the humidity of the air has been
incredibly low for some reason.

Apparently a rail line in Sussex (at Balcombe) had problems due to an 8ft
icicle in a tunnel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

My sister's new boiler flue was like this. It's a cock-up. You should get
whoever fitted it back to do it properly (if possible).

Tim

Before condensing boilers, wasn't that the right way to do it?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-03, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:01:52 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

This cold snap has been strange at least here in that there have been
very
few iciccles according to other people. the humidity of the air has been
incredibly low for some reason.

Apparently a rail line in Sussex (at Balcombe) had problems due to an 8ft
icicle in a tunnel.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 10:38, Roger Hayter wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

My sister's new boiler flue was like this. It's a cock-up. You should get
whoever fitted it back to do it properly (if possible).

Tim

Before condensing boilers, wasn't that the right way to do it?

Generally yup.

Many condensors have the internal flue pipe set in the outer sleeve at
an upward pointing angle - so that even if the flue is bored through the
wall horizontally there is still an internal slope. Alas that will only
correct for a certain amount of downward angle in the hole.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Tim+ wrote:

GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

My sister's new boiler flue was like this. It's a cock-up. You should
get
whoever fitted it back to do it properly (if possible).

Tim

Before condensing boilers, wasn't that the right way to do it?

Generally yup.

Many condensors have the internal flue pipe set in the outer sleeve at
an upward pointing angle - so that even if the flue is bored through the
wall horizontally* there is still an internal slope. Alas that will only
correct for a certain amount of downward angle in the hole.

What the problem with having the drip going outwards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

My sister's new boiler flue was like this. It's a cock-up. You should
get
whoever fitted it back to do it properly (if possible).

Tim

Before condensing boilers, wasn't that the right way to do it?

Generally yup.

Many condensors have the internal flue pipe set in the outer sleeve at
an upward pointing angle - so that even if the flue is bored through the
wall horizontally there is still an internal slope. Alas that will only
correct for a certain amount of downward angle in the hole.

What the problem with having the drip going outwards?

In reducing order of importance; makes the fitter look stupid, breach
of building regs, icicles, environmental pollution, damage to concrete,
and possible erosion to the surface of passing small children by the
acid effluent.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 12:43, Roger Hayter wrote:

In reducing order of importance; makes the fitter look stupid, breach
of building regs, icicles, environmental pollution, damage to concrete,
and possible erosion to the surface of passing small children by the
acid effluent.

It could be quite hot too and you wouldn't want anyone looking up to see
what has dropped on their head and getting it in the eye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

On 03/03/2018 12:43, Roger Hayter wrote:

In reducing order of importance; makes the fitter look stupid, breach
of building regs, icicles, environmental pollution, damage to concrete,
and possible erosion to the surface of passing small children by the
acid effluent.

It could be quite hot too and you wouldn't want anyone looking up to see
what has dropped on their head and getting it in the eye.

You spotted I put them in reverse order then! And I'd actually
forgotten that some people have them quite high up. It must have been a
small risk with pre-condenser flues, but I suppose that very little
condensed out in those days.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-03, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:01:52 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

This cold snap has been strange at least here in that there have been
very
few iciccles according to other people. the humidity of the air has been
incredibly low for some reason.

Apparently a rail line in Sussex (at Balcombe) had problems due to an 8ft
icicle in a tunnel.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

What is that strange picture artefact just left of centre and dead
straight from the curve of the tunnel above the wall to the nearside
line? On checking again, there seem to be another two further away - one
just below dead centre, and the other a bit longer to the right of it.

If there were only two, I'd put it down to some weird lens reflection,
but the third one kills even that unlikely suggestion.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

My sister's new boiler flue was like this. It's a cock-up. You should
get
whoever fitted it back to do it properly (if possible).

Tim

Before condensing boilers, wasn't that the right way to do it?

Generally yup.

Many condensors have the internal flue pipe set in the outer sleeve at
an upward pointing angle - so that even if the flue is bored through the
wall horizontally there is still an internal slope. Alas that will only
correct for a certain amount of downward angle in the hole.

What the problem with having the drip going outwards?

See your OP :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 12:53, Roger Hayter wrote:

You spotted I put them in reverse order then! And I'd actually
forgotten that some people have them quite high up. It must have been a
small risk with pre-condenser flues, but I suppose that very little
condensed out in those days.

When we had a cold spell a few years ago (-17c here) several of the
neighbours flues froze over with the condensate. They were all
conventional boilers and they had to go out and chip the ice away. It
could have been really dangerous if CO had got into the houses.

My balanced flu, non condensing boiler didn't ice up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 12:58, Jeff Layman wrote:

What is that strange picture artefact just left of centre and dead
straight from the curve of the tunnel above the wall to the nearside
line? On checking again, there seem to be another two further away - one
just below dead centre, and the other a bit longer to the right of it.

If there were only two, I'd put it down to some weird lens reflection,
but the third one kills even that unlikely suggestion.

Its just falling snow leaving trails due to a fairly long exposure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 11:47:39 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Jim K
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 14:44:06 +0000, damduck-egg wrote:

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 11:47:39 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Jim K
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...es-bring-rail-

services-to-a-halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

Not applicable in the case of the Sussex one, though. They also re-grew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?

Carefully like they are doing in the photo using hand tools and not
using the brute force of your wagon idea, you would have to smack the
ice quite hard and hope the ice breaks of the tunnel roof as the blade
or brush or whatever you envisiage on your customised wagon being
pushed against the ice like a bulldozer will not be able to be above
the overhead lines. That means the ice may be broken at the height of
the blade leaving bits that could still foul train collectors or
ground the current, or if it has broken off higher may fall and get
caught in the overhead equipment while being moved partially
horizontally. The blokes can reach between and above the wires and
supports and when knocked off the ice will drop almost vertically and
in managable quantities.

But carry on choosing between starting to Troll or not having any
common sense.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

What's wrong with just ****ting them with a big stick?

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
haveÂ* knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
Â* imagine?

What's wrong with just ****ting them with a big stick?

The icicles not the blokes in the hi viz!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

What about "where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof"?

I'll carry on calling your equally badly thought through bs.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?

What's wrong with just ****ting them with a big stick?

Even better & far quicker with multiple big sticks attached to a
f. off train?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?

What's wrong with just ****ting them with a big stick?

The icicles not the blokes in the hi viz!

:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/03/2018 09:22, GB wrote:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

(For Brian, it's a massive icicle hanging from our bin which is right
under the flue.)

I think a dripping tap caused this one (for Brian more ice)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...pingtapice.jpg

Probably the drips blocked the fall pipe and then the rest is history
after the sink was used.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 16:31:43 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...ng-rail-servic
es-to-a-halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?

But carry on choosing between starting to Troll or not having any
common sense.

In the case of the Sussex tunnel there would be no overhead lines. It's
all third rail.

That as maybe but Jerk was commenting on the photo in the Ipswich Star
link of a Tunnel at Ipswich which does have overhead lines.

In the past I have seen photos of such wagons for use where they can
be used but cannot remember any UK example, in places where the
problem is frequent like some of the higher North American routes
routes they had them.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...olling/one.htm

One of the UK canals had something similar for a canal tunnel but its
main use was for removing soot deposited by steam powered craft.
http://www.mylearning.org/life-on-th...images/3-3785/

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/03/2018 16:55, jim wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?

What's wrong with just ****ting them with a big stick?

Even better & far quicker with multiple big sticks attached to a
f. off train?

Like using a snow plough to move snow?

Those blokes in the orange hi vis are on overtime and milking it for all
it's worth. And there are another 6 of them sat in a van just outside
the tunnel drinking coffee waiting for their turn to take the **** at
double rates.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2018 17:27, ARW wrote:

Those blokes in the orange hi vis are on overtime and milking it for all
it's worth. And there are another 6 of them sat in a van just outside
the tunnel drinking coffee waiting for their turn to take the **** at
double rates.

There are two of them in the tunnel, but only one stick between them. Do
they take turns playing with it?

Besides that, what in heaven's name does elfin safety have to say about
two blokes standing under bloody big icicles suspended 20ft above them
and knocking them down? Their PPE is clearly not adequate for this job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/03/2018 17:44, GB wrote:
On 03/03/2018 17:27, ARW wrote:

Those blokes in the orange hi vis are on overtime and milking it for
all it's worth. And there are another 6 of them sat in a van just
outside the tunnel drinking coffee waiting for their turn to take the
**** at double rates.

There are two of them in the tunnel, but only one stick between them. Do
they take turns playing with it?

There has to be a Ched Evans joke in there.

Besides that, what in heaven's name does elfin safety have to say about
two blokes standing under bloody big icicles suspended 20ft above them
and knocking them down? Their PPE is clearly not adequate for this job.

Wrong colour PPE?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

Who's trolling now "dum****-egg"?

(snip begrudging acknowledgement with Googled specific examples of
use of methods other than two blokes with a long stick poking at
icicles)....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
On 03/03/2018 16:55, jim wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
wrote:

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ip...halt-1-5417520

Couldn't they just push a suitably customised wagon through that lot?

And then find that where the ice was close or had formed around the
components of the overhead power lines attached to the tunnel roof you
have knocked them out of alighment or even dragged them down creating
really long delays while they get repaired.

Not a very practical suggestion.

G.Harman

So how do two blokes in orange anoraks deal with the issues you
imagine?

What's wrong with just ****ting them with a big stick?

Even better & far quicker with multiple big sticks attached to a
f. off train?

Like using a snow plough to move snow?

Bit higher up but similar.

Those blokes in the orange hi vis are on overtime and milking it for all
it's worth. And there are another 6 of them sat in a van just outside
the tunnel drinking coffee waiting for their turn to take the **** at
double rates.

*we* know this...

Perhaps G Hardon was one of em back int day?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
On 03/03/2018 17:44, GB wrote:
On 03/03/2018 17:27, ARW wrote:

Those blokes in the orange hi vis are on overtime and milking it for
all it's worth. And there are another 6 of them sat in a van just
outside the tunnel drinking coffee waiting for their turn to take the
**** at double rates.

There are two of them in the tunnel, but only one stick between them. Do
they take turns playing with it?

There has to be a Ched Evans joke in there.

Besides that, what in heaven's name does elfin safety have to say about
two blokes standing under bloody big icicles suspended 20ft above them
and knocking them down? Their PPE is clearly not adequate for this job.

Wrong colour PPE?

Wrong sort, needs something strong with a protective roof, on
wheels for easy movement, may as well be on the track fetched in
& out by a loco maybe... Ooh hang on that rings a
bell.....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 13:09, dennis@home wrote:
My balanced flu, non condensing boiler didn't ice up.

If it really was balanced and not fan flued, then it
will have not have been very efficient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 18:46, Andrew wrote:
On 03/03/2018 13:09, dennis@home wrote:
My balanced flu, non condensing boiler didn't ice up.

If it really was balanced and not fan flued, then it
will have not have been very efficient.

It was very effective though.
As it was 35 years ago and lasted for 32 years I think it was a good buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB writes:
Our boiler flue slopes downwards, so most of the condensate runs out
that way. This is the result:

http://tinypic.com/m/k2k6k6/2

I recall a post here when domestic condensing boilers first appeared,
where the condensate pipe dripped onto a conservatory roof.
The roof didn't survive the 4' icicle which broke away and smashed
through it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/03/2018 17:44, GB wrote:
On 03/03/2018 17:27, ARW wrote:

Those blokes in the orange hi vis are on overtime and milking it for
all it's worth. And there are another 6 of them sat in a van just
outside the tunnel drinking coffee waiting for their turn to take the
**** at double rates.

There are two of them in the tunnel, but only one stick between them. Do
they take turns playing with it?

Besides that, what in heaven's name does elfin safety have to say about
two blokes standing under bloody big icicles suspended 20ft above them
and knocking them down? Their PPE is clearly not adequate for this job.

Does anyone think that it is probably just a telescopic tape measure?

--
Adam