Dave

Default Condensate disposal from condensing boiler

Is there any reason not to run the condensate from a condensing boiler
directly into the SVP via a trap? Does it need to run through a tun dish?

--
Dave
Andy Hall

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:50:35 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Is there any reason not to run the condensate from a condensing boiler
directly into the SVP via a trap? Does it need to run through a tun dish?

The boiler manufacturer's instructions should tell you the situation
on this.

Most (possibly all) condensing boilers have an internal trap to
prevent the escape of fumes through the condensate drain. Obviously
it's very important to make sure that that never gets sucked out.

I did my installation by putting a washing machine trap, dedicated for
condensate use and connected to the soil pipe. I fitted a plastic
tundish below the boiler's condensate output at the bottom and piped
that to the trap.

This gives me two air breaks and the ability to look at how much
condensate is coming from the boiler. There was no specific
requirement from the manufacturer to have the tundish, though.

If you are going to use one, it does need to be plastic.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I hadn't realised that some would have an internal trap (I'm
expecting to use a Worcester Greenstar 29HE - unless someone here can
suggest a "better"/cheaper boiler - I see now that it has an internal
trap).
Have you found it useful to be able to see/measure how much condensate?

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Lurch

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:18:33 +0000, Dave
strung together this:

Thanks, I hadn't realised that some would have an internal trap (I'm
expecting to use a Worcester Greenstar 29HE - unless someone here can
suggest a "better"/cheaper boiler - I see now that it has an internal
trap).
Have you found it useful to be able to see/measure how much condensate?

Doesn't the Greenstar range release the condensate in 100ml lots? If
so you'd be hard pushed to be able to see how much is being pushed
through with a tundish.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Andy Hall

wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't realised that some would have an internal trap (I'm
expecting to use a Worcester Greenstar 29HE - unless someone here can
suggest a "better"/cheaper boiler - I see now that it has an internal
trap).
Have you found it useful to be able to see/measure how much condensate?

I wouldn't say that it's necessary as such, but seeing how it varied
with power level and temperature to begin with was interesting.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't realised that some would have an internal trap (I'm
expecting to use a Worcester Greenstar 29HE - unless someone here can
suggest a "better"/cheaper boiler - I see now that it has an internal
trap).
Have you found it useful to be able to see/measure how much condensate?

I wouldn't say that it's necessary as such, but seeing how it varied
with power level and temperature to begin with was interesting.

Agreed. I included a section of clear plastic hose in the
condensate pipework for this purpose. Mine runs into a wash
basin wastepipe, and I fitted a trap with integral air
admitance valve to the washbasin so pressure differentials
in the waste pipe can't suck the integral U-trap in the
boiler dry.

Actually, first time I ran the boiler, I diverted the condensate
waste into a bucket so I could see what sort of volume it
produced. I got half a bucket in about half a day, but it wasn't
a cold day. Still, I saved the energy it would have taken to
boil away at least half a bucket of water (some of the condensate
leaves the flue as fog rather than going down the drain).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Philip Barton

Why not have a diverter arrangement to a gallon container, and use the
(pure) condensate for your iron/battery/anything else that needs
distilled water?

Phil.