Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2018 14:49, David wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 06:04:48 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a
pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in
this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it
can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at
near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

Duct tape?

If you can get right round it easily, then a few turns of ordinary PVC
electrical tape, under tension, will make a surprisingly good repair.

Plumbers epoxy putty is an alternative if it is hard to wrap, as another
poster said a bit of roughening will do no harm.

There are two sorts of solvent weld pipe and fitting; ABS and PVC, and
they have different "solvents". One will work OK on the other, but not
the other way round. Google should tell you which.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 14:04:55 UTC, wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole.. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

thanks everyone for the suggestions, epoxy putty it is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 18:44:56 UTC, tabby wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

thanks everyone for the suggestions, epoxy putty it is.

NT

Finally got there to do the job. Unfortunately the unibond epoxy putty turned out to be no use, didn't grip onto the pipe enough to stop the water dribbling through. The pipe is pvc, not ABS.

I guess that leaves plumber's gold, unless anyone has other ideas. Clamps, tape, pipe etc won't work due to the shape. And there's just no room to cut pipe off & redo, otherwise I would.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 20:35:59 UTC, tabby wrote:

[...]

Something thinner than the putty thicker than glue might do it. I might try mixing glue with putty.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/18 23:32, wrote:
[...]

Superglue MIGHT just set and grip. Water sets it, and although its
hygroscopic i THINK, it should seal

a bandage soaked in some is worth a try

Another possible approach if you can get the pipe dry is bike puncture
repair kit and use the rubber 'solution' and a patch

I've used evostik (old solvent type) to glue to PVC before and its not
too bad. You CAN peel it off, but not easily

NT

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Doubled up 9.5mm PB vs 12.5mm PB Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 11 July 19th 16 08:27 AM
lights wires 1.5mm or 2.5mm (100 amp maion fuse) george [dicegeorge] UK diy 18 January 2nd 11 03:34 PM
WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
38.5-39.5mm pipe. Ian Stirling UK diy 2 June 30th 05 12:23 PM
HELP: need diagram of a stereo 2.5mm plug to a 2.5mm socket graph 1 Electronics 1 May 30th 04 10:31 PM