DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/606243-glue-21-5mm-overflow-pipe.html)

[email protected] March 1st 18 02:04 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

John Rumm March 1st 18 03:30 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On 01/03/2018 14:04, wrote:
I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a
pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable
in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water,
and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight
seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need
heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

Yup - a two part plumbing repair putty ought to.

Failing that, see "plumbers gold" from toolstation - its a MS glue /
sealant that will stick to anything and set underwater.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Andrew Gabriel March 1st 18 03:54 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

In article ,
writes:
I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. =

I think most of it is ABS.
You would need to find some really high quality stuff for it
to be uPVC, which is unlikely in any range of overflow pipe.

The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, =
so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomi=
ssioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressur=
e during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

Is it solvent weld or pushfit (look at the existing fittings).
The two are a slightly different diameter.
If pushfit, cut right through, and use a pushfit straight coupler.

Another option - if you have any spare, cut off a 1 inch length,
and cut through one side of the resulting ring. Check if the ring
will now clip over the existing pipe without the ring breaking.
You could make a second cut in it to make a bigger opening if
necessary. If this works, take it off, paint the inside with
solvent weld, and clip it back on over the hole, making sure it
makes good contact around the hole.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Peter Parry March 1st 18 04:13 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 06:04:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

Would something like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAPID-REPAIR-PIPE-CLAMP-FOR-COPPER-IRON-PIPE-3-8-TO-3-4-15MM-TO-28MM/191285382197?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49925%26meid%3D337d5098de56447 5b7783c14c5946ac3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D 6%26sd%3D152885694510%26itm%3D191285382197&_trksid =p2047675.c100005.m1851
be more suitable?

(
https://is.gd/GCBfG9)

newshound March 1st 18 04:43 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On 01/03/2018 14:49, David wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 06:04:48 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a
pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in
this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it
can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at
near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

Duct tape?

If you can get right round it easily, then a few turns of ordinary PVC
electrical tape, under tension, will make a surprisingly good repair.

Plumbers epoxy putty is an alternative if it is hard to wrap, as another
poster said a bit of roughening will do no harm.

There are two sorts of solvent weld pipe and fitting; ABS and PVC, and
they have different "solvents". One will work OK on the other, but not
the other way round. Google should tell you which.

Rob Morley March 1st 18 06:37 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a
pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable
in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water,
and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight
seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need
heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

Jubilee clip and a bit of rubber hose. :-)

[email protected] March 1st 18 06:44 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 14:04:55 UTC, wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole.. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

thanks everyone for the suggestions, epoxy putty it is.

NT

[email protected] March 14th 18 08:35 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 18:44:56 UTC, tabby wrote:

I want to glue some of this pipe, which I presume is uPVC. It's a pinhole. The solvents in the usual solvent weld things are not usable in this case, so I'm looking at glues. It needs to tolerate water, and it can't be decomissioned for repair, so has to cope with slight seepage at near zero pressure during application. It doesn't need heat tolerance.

Would epoxy or epoxy putty do the job, after roughening the surface?

NT

thanks everyone for the suggestions, epoxy putty it is.

NT

Finally got there to do the job. Unfortunately the unibond epoxy putty turned out to be no use, didn't grip onto the pipe enough to stop the water dribbling through. The pipe is pvc, not ABS.

I guess that leaves plumber's gold, unless anyone has other ideas. Clamps, tape, pipe etc won't work due to the shape. And there's just no room to cut pipe off & redo, otherwise I would.

NT

[email protected] March 14th 18 11:32 PM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 20:35:59 UTC, tabby wrote:

[...]

Something thinner than the putty thicker than glue might do it. I might try mixing glue with putty.

NT

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 15th 18 08:12 AM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On 14/03/18 23:32, wrote:
[...]

Superglue MIGHT just set and grip. Water sets it, and although its
hygroscopic i THINK, it should seal

a bandage soaked in some is worth a try

Another possible approach if you can get the pipe dry is bike puncture
repair kit and use the rubber 'solution' and a patch

I've used evostik (old solvent type) to glue to PVC before and its not
too bad. You CAN peel it off, but not easily

NT

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 15th 18 09:10 AM

Glue 21.5mm overflow pipe

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:35:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I guess that leaves plumber's gold, unless anyone has other ideas.
Clamps, tape, pipe etc won't work due to the shape.

Self amalgamting tape will form well around almost any shape and for
a pinhole you'd only need a couple of turns over it.

Or a hot knife or perhaps a better temeprature controlled soldering
iron and experiment on some scrap tube to find a good temp and just
wipe it over the pin hole..

--
Cheers
Dave.