Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler recomendation - again :-)

Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

Avpx

--
"*Veni, vici*...Vetinari."
(Jingo)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Nomad wrote:
Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

I've been pleased with my Viessmann. System boiler with storage hot water.
I did a self install, and their tech department was very helpful on the
phone. (I went for the weather compensation mods, plus a remote sighted
controller, so not a basic installation.)

I'm told the latest ones (mine is about 10 years old) have easier
programming for my sort of installation, so may not have required tech
assistance. Or of course might just have been me.

I shopped around, and got a much better deal on it from Ebay than I could
locally.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 09:52:22 UTC, The Nomad wrote:
Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

Avpx

WB is top for reliability, closely followed by Vaillant. Best for spares availability too - look on ebay.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 09:52, The Nomad wrote:
Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

Avpx

I replaced mine with a WB 4 years ago. They offered 7 years guarantee at
the time - parts and labour, as long as you have it serviced once a year.

I haven't had any problem yet, but unless they are designed to fail
within 7 years and one day, then it is/was a non-brainer for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 09:52, The Nomad wrote:
Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

Avpx

I've had one for three years and it's been really good. I didn't get the
'correct' size, I got the next one up. I always think it's better to
have a bit of power in reserve. Certainly when I got this new boiler the
improvement in the heating was enormous and the gas bill didn't go up at
all.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Nomad Wrote in message:
Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

Avpx

--
"*Veni, vici*...Vetinari."
(Jingo)

Hi Nomad

I have a WB 24ri system condensing boiler.
The only time it has appeared to cause problems is when external
issues have caused an alarm state ( so not a boiler problem at
all).

My place is 1970 4 bed detached house with cavity wall
uninsulated, with plastic double glazing.

The WB copes fine with this and heating HW cylinder.
So I think your 28kW estimate sounds ok depending on house
construction.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief Wrote in message:
The Nomad Wrote in message:
[...]

Forgot to mention, install year was 2006.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 09:52:22 UTC, The Nomad wrote:

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

The contributors on https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/plumbing/ would venture that Worcester-Bosch is not, and has never been, the top *boiler*. It is though the top *brand* due to the company's huge marketing budget.

Intergas seems to be what many fitters recommend on that forum. Personally, I have a Viessmann which has been OK. Its predecessor (a Potterton) was a disaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 09:52:22 UTC, The Nomad wrote:

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

The contributors on https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/plumbing/ would venture that Worcester-Bosch is not, and has never been, the top *boiler*. It is though the top *brand* due to the company's huge marketing budget.

Intergas seems to be what many fitters recommend on that forum. Personally, I have a Viessmann which has been OK. Its predecessor (a Potterton) was a disaster.

When I replaced mine in 2006, I asked on here, and WB got the
thumbs up from many whose advice has been sound over the years.
Also I think Vaillant was mentioned. Clearly things may have
changed since then.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 09:52, The Nomad wrote:
Guys,

The time has come (as the walrus said) to replace the old condensing
_non_-combi gas boiler.

N.B. non-combi

Even though I know none of the pipes will be in the right place, it will
be just a straight swap.

My estimate is a 28KW-ish boiler is needed (large-ish 4 bedroomed
bungalow).

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

Many thanks for the collective wisdom

Avpx

Happy with my self installed Vaillant (system), unpressurised DHW, no
weather compensation).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 19:48:11 +0000, TheChief wrote:

David Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 09:52:22 UTC, The Nomad wrote:

So is Worcester-bosch still the top brand?

The contributors on https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/plumbing/ would
venture that Worcester-Bosch is not, and has never been, the top
*boiler*. It is though the top *brand* due to the company's huge
marketing budget.

Intergas seems to be what many fitters recommend on that forum.
Personally, I have a Viessmann which has been OK. Its predecessor (a
Potterton) was a disaster.

When I replaced mine in 2006, I asked on here, and WB got the
thumbs up from many whose advice has been sound over the years.
Also I think Vaillant was mentioned. Clearly things may have changed
since then.

Phil

All,

Many thanks for the input, most useful.

So now to find an installer/supplier in Norfolk - a bit of word of mouth
needed I think ...

Again thanks for all the input, most grateful

Avpx
--
'Have you lost your senses?' 'Yes, but I may have found some better
ones.'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
[...]

Avoid any with the initials "BG" !!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
wrote:

David Wrote in message:
[...]

That's Barry Good with one less career choice

tim