Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Side Cutters recommendation please

I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end,
got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest,
on ebay they range from £2 to £25,
advice please...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ers&_saca t=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:

I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end,
got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest

I have some Piergiacomi side cutters, strippers and flat nosed pliers
for my 'best' tools, reasonable price without going to Lindstrom or
Knipex extremes (I notice the brand seems to have Chinese copies now).

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/204-taglio-raso.html

The ones I have are are suitable for up to 2.5mm cables, much nicer than
the Lidaldi specials or random 40 y/o tools, which can now be abused for
SWA and medium sized bolts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
The ones I have are are suitable for up to 2.5mm cables, much nicer than
the Lidaldi specials or random 40 y/o tools, which can now be abused for
SWA and medium sized bolts.

The Lidl set - side cutters, pliers and wire stripper with the red and
yellow handles, are actually pretty good. Got a set to put in the car
toolkit - so likely to get abused. But have stood up very well. Cutting
things like split pins and so on. So should have a decent life when used
for copper only.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2018 11:54, George Miles wrote:
I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end,
got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest,
on ebay they range from £2 to £25,
advice please...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ers&_sacat =0

Reasonably decent VDE rated set of cutters are usually in the £20+
range. However some of the CPC duratool branded hand tools are
surprisingly decent for the money:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d006...vde/dp/TL12024

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

The Lidl set - side cutters, pliers and wire stripper with the red and
yellow handles

Yep made to look kinda-VDE rated, when they're not

are actually pretty good.

The pliers and needle(ish) nosed are actually OK, I found the cutters
closed with a bit of a gap and the strippers fairly wonky when closed
down for small wires.

Got a set to put in the car
toolkit - so likely to get abused.

I don't remember what I've used mine on, but the cutters are pretty
mashed up

But have stood up very well. Cutting
things like split pins and so on. So should have a decent life when used
for copper only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/02/2018 11:54, George Miles wrote:
I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end,
got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest,
on ebay they range from £2 to £25,
advice please...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ers&_sacat =0

Knipex.

I have the 74 08 200 ones but some people find them too heavy duty for
smaller cables eg alarm cable.

Buggered if I can find them on the Knipex site all I an find are the 74
06 200 which are chrome plated.
--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ordered the cpc ones thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 21:11:17 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 13/02/2018 11:54, George Miles wrote:
I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end,
got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest,
on ebay they range from £2 to £25,
advice please...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?

_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0. Xside
+cutters.TRS0&_nkw=side+cutters&_sacat=0

Knipex.

I have the 74 08 200 ones but some people find them too heavy duty for
smaller cables eg alarm cable.

Buggered if I can find them on the Knipex site all I an find are the 74
06 200 which are chrome plated.

I can attest to the quality of the Knipex 74-160 that I was 'gifted' by
my boss when I took "The Golden Handshake" from BT back in '92 since they
somehow miraculously survived my son's usage of them to cut bicycle
spokes (and other, similarly tough items no wire cutters should ever have
to face).

Since they were my favourite weapon of choice for trimming my finger and
toe nails, I hid them away and lied to my son that I had lost them. The
ruse worked. I still keep them hidden away to this day and they still
look as good as the day they were issued in spite of all the abuse meted
out by my son.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 03:54:42 -0800 (PST)
George Miles wrote:

I have some electrical side cutters but they're damaged at the end,
got a lot of wiring to do so this time wont buy the cheapest,
on ebay they range from £2 to £25,
advice please...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ers&_sacat =0

late to the party

I've got these:

https://www.thetoolbox.uk.com/NWS-2-...e-Side-Cutters

I use them most days and they're lasting well. The hole for cutting
3.5mm screws is very handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

I've got these:
https://www.thetoolbox.uk.com/NWS-2-...e-Side-Cutters

I'd never heard of Solingen until last week, now it seems to be on my
radar for everything that German that has blades ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/02/2018 22:16, George Miles wrote:
ordered the cpc ones thanks

Hope you enjoy them. I cannot find them on CPC.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have 2 pair of Lindstrom 8160 for over 40 years originally from Philips factory. Probably used every day.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lindstrom...0AAOSw-4BXaPrf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2018 17:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Steve wrote:

I've got these:
https://www.thetoolbox.uk.com/NWS-2-...e-Side-Cutters

I'd never heard of Solingen until last week, now it seems to be on my
radar for everything that German that has blades ...

IIRC saying Solingen is about like saying Sheffield. It's a town, not a
manufacturer.

That said I have a Solingen kitchen knife ~40 years old that's still fine.

An
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sintv wrote:
Have 2 pair of Lindstrom 8160 for over 40 years originally from Philips
factory. Probably used every day.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lindstrom...0AAOSw-4BXaPrf

I'd say there is less different between expensive and cheaper tools
today than 40 years ago.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

I've got these:
https://www.thetoolbox.uk.com/NWS-2-...e-Side-Cutters

I'd never heard of Solingen until last week, now it seems to be on my
radar for everything that German that has blades ...

IIRC saying Solingen is about like saying Sheffield. It's a town, not a
manufacturer.

That said I have a Solingen kitchen knife ~40 years old that's still fine.

An

My mother's dress-making shears are Solingen hide_your_eyes and I used
them to cut carpet / . They didn't suffer at all and still work perfectly.
I love the 'scissor' sound that they make.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away