Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calor/ Propane gas bottles, reallocation of use?

Hi,
I notice that 15 kg gas bottles are plentiful and inexpensive.

What is the test pressure used in the manufacture and inspection of
these?

I was wondering if I could use a couple feeding a homemade spraybar to
keep a drive clear of weeds.

I'm fully aware that normal working pressureof butane/ LPG wouldn't
be high, but they look like they would stand a few bar and a safe
testing procedure would not be difficult to establish.

I thought that If I could test at 12bar and add a relief valve at
10bar, then use the full whack from my compressor of 8 bar to develop
the driving force for the weedkiller.

Does this sound feasible and legal?

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/02/2018 16:15, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
15 kg gas bottles

Googled:

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1969-ho...-in-what-state

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 18:43:50 +0000, ss wrote:

On 06/02/2018 16:15, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
15 kg gas bottles

Googled:

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1969-ho...-in-what-state

Many thank,s that was very helpful, your Googling skills put mine to
shame :-(

Technically I seem to be very comfortably within the safety margins.

It,s for myself on private land so I guess I'm o/k.

Gas bottles do seem a bit of a special case, as I found out when I
tried to dispose of one at the local scrapyard.

Regards

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 19:41:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

One out of 2 possibly!
Brian

Probably!

But thanks to the data it seems that 20bar is a reachable test
pressure. This gives me a very wide margin of safety.

Methinks that there might be laws about modification of the end use of
LPG cylinders. If there isn't there should be:-)

I should have a gauge knocking around at the workplace, the only minor
problem is a 20 bar + water pump.

As no life form apart from myself and the weeds are going to be
present when the contraption goes into service, Ones concience is
clear [ish].

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Archibald
Tarquin Blenkinsopp writes
On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 18:43:50 +0000, ss wrote:

On 06/02/2018 16:15, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
15 kg gas bottles

Googled:

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1969-ho...-lpg-propane-c
ylinders-in-what-state

Many thank,s that was very helpful, your Googling skills put mine to
shame :-(

Technically I seem to be very comfortably within the safety margins.

It,s for myself on private land so I guess I'm o/k.

Gas bottles do seem a bit of a special case, as I found out when I
tried to dispose of one at the local scrapyard.

Regards

AB

As a general rule gas bottles actually belong to the supplier, you
merely hire them. When you first procure one you actually sign a rental
agreement. There is some sense in this in that it facilitates
distribution and exchange for full ones, and ongoing safety checks.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

One out of 2 possibly!
Brian

Probably!

But thanks to the data it seems that 20bar is a reachable test
pressure. This gives me a very wide margin of safety.

Methinks that there might be laws about modification of the end use of
LPG cylinders. If there isn't there should be:-)

In theory, you don't own the bottles (assuming you are in the UK)- at
least for those I've dealt with. You have a 'lease', which you pay for,
and, at one time, if you returned a bottle with the agreement, you could
get part of the fee back. I suppose you really lease a bottle to 'swap'
when you get a refill but the concept is the same.

There is something similar in France- we've 'leased' a French bottle (Le
Cube) which we use when traveling in France. (You can't get Calor in
Europe.) As it was explained, if we return the bottle, we get a partial
refund. Otherwise, we swap it (obviously with a few) for a full one when
empty.

YouTube is full of people happily cutting open gas bottles to make all
kinds of things. Even advice on removing the valves etc.

I'd not do it myself nor would I advise it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 20:00:53 +0000, bert wrote:

[...]

I'm aware of the practice with welding gasses and the like.

It makes perfect sense for all cylinders. I was in the gas industry
once and part of my work involved maintaining instrumentation to
monitor for oil in returned O2 cylinders.

Whether the oil went in by accident or maliciously I don't know, but
filling 200bar O2 into an oily cylinder was spectacular.

Looking at Gumtree and Ebay, sales of LPG cylinders does seem common
and at as low as £5-00, it seems a good alternative to a couple of
days with the killaspray.

Were any third parties involved I wouldn't consider the project, but I
will be alone and the cylinders will be tested to 20-25bar.

Dependent on the gauge and whatever I can get to pressurise the fluid.

The cylinders will never be returned to use for domestic gas storage.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No I was warned about cutting the cylinder I took to the local
scrapyard. When he wouldn't accept it, I offered to cut it up for him.

I had a wonderfull explanation of how the cylinder walls absorb the
gas over the years.

It really did sound impressive and he must have believed it!

I didn't even bother trying to argue.

We had a character working in bottled gasses that had a nice sideline
making sleeping policemen out of cylinders. Oxygen, Hydrogen, Propane
Co2, anything, it didn't matter and he cut them with a torch :-)

I wasn't official company policy, the P45 was though :-)

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I simply fill them with water, and then empty them. Hoping anything that
will burn will be displaced. I guess it's always possible there might be
traces of heavier (liquid) hydrocarbons.

The opened bottle still strongly smells of mercaptans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Fredxx formulated :
I simply fill them with water, and then empty them. Hoping anything that will
burn will be displaced. I guess it's always possible there might be traces of
heavier (liquid) hydrocarbons.

I have re-purposed them in the past, they make great wood burner, or
oil stoves. I just opened the vent and let them breath for a few
months, before tackling them.

The opened bottle still strongly smells of mercaptans.

I found it very difficult to dispose of the smell, plus the dirt
residue at the bottom. Rinsing just didn't help much, only opening them
up and setting a fire inside worked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:31:05 +0000
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Dependent on the gauge and whatever I can get to pressurise the fluid.

You can get sufficient pressure from a pump intended for air-sprung
bicycle shock absorbers, which are available for about a tenner - just
fill the bottle (and any plumbing you use to connect it) with water
first, so there's minimal energy in the compressed air should anything
fail and explode. Obviously use good eye and ear protection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 19:12:11 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:31:05 +0000
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Dependent on the gauge and whatever I can get to pressurise the fluid.

You can get sufficient pressure from a pump intended for air-sprung
bicycle shock absorbers, which are available for about a tenner - just
fill the bottle (and any plumbing you use to connect it) with water
first, so there's minimal energy in the compressed air should anything
fail and explode. Obviously use good eye and ear protection.

:-)

Funny how One can miss the patently obvious.

Of course, water is still pretty incompressable even if there's an
airspace above it.

Thanks, it makes my search for the kit a lot less cash intensive.

I,ll be making a start hopefully next week. At least it will be a use
for some of the bits over ordered for the central heating.

Many thanks

AB

Blue Calor Gas bottles Graeme UK diy 19 August 22nd 10 09:09 AM
Calor gas: propane vs. butane Stephen[_6_] UK diy 34 November 2nd 09 09:28 PM
Storage of propane gas bottles Janice UK diy 3 June 24th 06 11:22 PM
Difference Between Propane and Butane gas bottles? htmark98 UK diy 20 March 1st 06 09:54 PM
Is there a Gas Log Lighter that uses 1 lb propane bottles? [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 18th 05 05:11 PM