Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blue Calor Gas bottles

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex7
writes
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

Ah. OK, thanks. I rather assumed they had to be upright, but thought
I'd ask.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Vortex7
writes
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

Ah. OK, thanks. I rather assumed they had to be upright, but thought
I'd ask.

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Vortex7
writes
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

Ah. OK, thanks. I rather assumed they had to be upright, but thought I'd
ask.

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

I could use one if it is going free.
Where in the world are you?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Vortex7
writes
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used
upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

Ah. OK, thanks. I rather assumed they had to be upright, but thought
I'd ask.

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

My council skip site has a cage full of bottles ... I dropped some Handy Gas
& Shell Gas ones off last week ... should be easy enough to pick one up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Vortex7
writes
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

Ah. OK, thanks. I rather assumed they had to be upright, but
thought I'd ask.

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

I could use one if it is going free.
Where in the world are you?

Wheathampstead. Herts. Long way from Felixstowe!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes

Sadly, the postage would probably exceed the value, and I'm fairly sure
Royal Mail would not be happy carrying a gas cylinder - but thanks :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

I wonder if it's got a note inside? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:

Do you need a spare?

One floated down the river and is occupying space in my barn.

I wonder if it's got a note inside? ;-)

I hope you are not thinking *angle grinder* job!

On the misuse of acetylene cylinders.... one had been acquired by my
father as ballast for some farm activity and discarded close to a stored
timber greenhouse. 15 or so years later, a farm fire destroyed the
greenhouse and set off the cylinder. I was not present to hear the bang
but found the residue 300m distant.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex7" wrote in message
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on their side
.... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I have no proof either
way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on
their side ... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I
have no proof either way.

Only time I ever drove one (school holiday job in 1969!) I was told the
forklift drew *liquid* from the cylinder. The gubbins inside catered
for the phase change. I rather think your average burner ain't so
sophisticated.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on
their side ... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I
have no proof either way.

Only time I ever drove one (school holiday job in 1969!) I was told the
forklift drew *liquid* from the cylinder. The gubbins inside catered for
the phase change. I rather think your average burner ain't so
sophisticated.

IIRC forklifts use different cylinders, they only look the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 19:17, "dennis@home" wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on
their side ... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I
have no proof either way.

Only time I ever drove one (school holiday job in 1969!) I was told the
forklift drew *liquid* from the cylinder. *The gubbins inside catered for
the phase change. *I rather think your average burner ain't so
sophisticated.

IIRC forklifts use different cylinders, they only look the same.

Must have a dip tube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 17:50, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
"Vortex7" wrote in message

On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on their side
... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I have no proof either
way.

It's on it's side because they want the liquid out. It goes through
an engine heated evaporator & thence to the carburretor.
Interesting point, how do they get the rest of the liquid out bleow
the outlet. Unless there's a dip tube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"Vortex7" wrote in message
On 20/08/2010 07:42, Graeme wrote:

Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?

Upright, unless you intend to make a flame thrower.

interesting that all the LPG powered fork lifts use then lying on their
side ... would tend to assume there is no issue ? .... but I have no
proof either way.

There is a tube inside the cylinder which goes along the axis for a ways
and then turns in a right-angle to nearly touch the side wall.

Cylinders for forklifts are "special" in this respect and have arrows on
them saying "this way up" so that, when fitted correctly, the "dip tube"
points straight down.

Thus, the vapour pressure in the cylinder pushes liquid down the fuel
line, not gas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 07:42, Graeme wrote:
Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?
--
Graeme

The gas is liquified so upright.
Compressed gases (eg oxygen) can be used any way up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 20 Aug, 07:42, Graeme wrote:
Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?
--
Graeme

The gas is liquified so upright.
Compressed gases (eg oxygen) can be used any way up.

Don't make the mistake of thinking acetylene is a compressed gas, if you use
that upside down it will probably^W explode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 12:52, "dennis@home" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On 20 Aug, 07:42, Graeme wrote:
Probably a daft question, but do these bottles have to be used upright,
or can they be used lying on their sides?
--
Graeme

The gas is liquified so upright.
Compressed gases (eg oxygen) can be used any way up.

Don't make the mistake of thinking acetylene is a compressed gas, if you use
that upside down it will probably^W explode.

Acetylene s unique in that it's dissolved in acetone. Another one you
need to keep upright.

Calor CHP Clive George UK diy 0 April 7th 10 06:02 PM
Calor hob R D S UK diy 10 June 11th 07 09:29 PM
Calor gas cooker David Cawkwell UK diy 1 January 16th 05 09:43 PM
Oil or Calor gas heating Alex UK diy 13 November 12th 03 11:25 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM