Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gap between sill and PVC window

Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

Ta

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 04:35:45 -0800 (PST), David
wrote:

Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Is this a horizontal gap?

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this?

When just filling (rather than bonding) I've used 'Decorators filler'
because it can be wiped with a damp cloth.

I'd like to avoid silicone if poss.

Me too, unless running a bead the entire length etc.

It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

Because uPVC moves all over the place then unless you are sticking two
bits together permanently then you might be better off with something
that maintains some flexibility?

Some in-laws had two bay windows fitted and log short, they made a
pigs ear of it.

The inner sills were just stood on towers of packing pieces and
siliconed in place. So remedial silicone was ever going to fix that so
I ripped it all out, built inner and outer wall back up to the right
height and reset the sill back on solidly.

The issue was first discovered when they tried to place a pot plant on
there and it sunk 1/2"! ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/18 12:35, David wrote:
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

decorators caulk.

Sort of very thick PVA glue.

Ta

David

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the
window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

Decorator's caulk. Sticks well to most materials. Remains slightly
flexible so shouldn't crack. Note it shrinks, so you may need several
applications to get it perfect.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the
window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid
silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

Ta

David

screwfix Everbuild Window & Door Frame Sealant 300ml White code 26507

Weatherproof, durable and flexible acrylic sealant. Suitable for filling
joints around aluminium, PVCu and wooden windows. Suits internal and
external projects. Can be over painted with most emulsion and oil based
paints. Virtually odour free and not corrosive on metal.
Fully weatherproof when cured, this time is extended in cold conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes lots of horror stories about cowboy contractors. A friend went on
holiday leaving the neighbour to look after the workmen doing a bay window
replacement.
Looked fantastic for a month, then the little roof over the bay started to
let water in and on inspection, yes the dreaded bodge job of if its not
going to fit pack it, ie don't try to make sure the top is supported
properly etc, Took a year to get it sorted out with insurance, warranties
not worth the paper they were printed on and small claims etc. Nightmare.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 2:22:07 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/01/18 12:35, David wrote:
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

decorators caulk.

Sort of very thick PVA glue.

Caulk discolours over time IME. I'd use an acrylic sealant, which should deliver flexibility and a stay white finish. Then again, a high modulus silicone would seem to be the perfect solution
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/18 17:48, Mark wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the
window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid
silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

Ta

David

screwfix Everbuild Window & Door Frame Sealant 300ml White code 26507

Weatherproof, durable and flexible acrylic sealant. Suitable for filling
joints around aluminium, PVCu and wooden windows. Suits internal and
external projects. Can be over painted with most emulsion and oil based
paints. Virtually odour free and not corrosive on metal.
Fully weatherproof when cured, this time is extended in cold conditions.

AKA 'decorators caulk'..

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 20/01/18 12:35, David wrote:
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

decorators caulk.

Sort of very thick PVA glue.

Caulk discolours over time IME. I'd use an acrylic sealant, which should deliver flexibility and a stay white finish. Then again, a high modulus silicone would seem to be the perfect solution

Decorators caulk *is* an acrylic sealant.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 20/01/18 17:48, Mark wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Hi

On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared between the
window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for 250mm or so.

Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this? I'd like to avoid
silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic filler that dries hard?

Ta

David

screwfix Everbuild Window & Door Frame Sealant 300ml White code 26507

Weatherproof, durable and flexible acrylic sealant. Suitable for filling
joints around aluminium, PVCu and wooden windows. Suits internal and
external projects. Can be over painted with most emulsion and oil based
paints. Virtually odour free and not corrosive on metal.
Fully weatherproof when cured, this time is extended in cold conditions.

AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jim k wrote:
AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

It's interior use only.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/18 17:48, Mark wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Ive used it with considerable success actually

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/18 17:48, Mark wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Which exact "it" are you remembering?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
jim k wrote:
AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

It's interior use only.

Maybe read Mark's post to which mine & TNP refer to?

(You do remember how this works don't you?)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

It's interior use only.

Maybe read Mark's post to which mine & TNP refer to?

You weren't sure if it could be used ouside.
But perhaps you don't actually understand what you write.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/18 11:55, jim wrote:
The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message: On
20/01/18 17:48, Mark wrote: "David" wrote
in message
... Hi
On a couple of our windows, a small (1 mm+) gap has appeared

between the window and the interior plastic sill. It only runs for
250mm or so. Anybody got an idea of w suitable filler for this?
I'd like to avoid silicone if poss. It there suitable white plastic
filler that dries hard? Ta David screwfix Everbuild
Window & Door Frame Sealant 300ml White code 26507 Weatherproof,
durable and flexible acrylic sealant. Suitable for filling joints
around aluminium, PVCu and wooden windows. Suits internal and external
projects. Can be over painted with most emulsion and oil based paints.
Virtually odour free and not corrosive on metal. Fully weatherproof
when cured, this time is extended in cold conditions. AKA
'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

Ive used it with considerable success actually

Me too. I've got a window the sill of which consists almost entirely of
car body filler and decorator's caulk which has survived two winters.
The paint on the caulk part is doing better than the paint on the
filler.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/18 17:48, Mark wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Decorators caulk of course.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

It's interior use only.

Maybe read Mark's post to which mine & TNP refer to?

You weren't sure if it could be used ouside.
But perhaps you don't actually understand what you write.

As ever the important bit is what you choose to snip....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
jim k wrote:
AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

It's interior use only.

Maybe read Mark's post to which mine & TNP refer to?

You weren't sure if it could be used ouside.
But perhaps you don't actually understand what you write.

As ever the important bit is what you choose to snip....
Jim K

the fact is some 'decorators caulk' does not work well outside, the frame
sealent i linked too does
Nememis 'decorators caulk' from screwfix
Hi teiboy,
The manufacturer has advised the following: 'As this is a water based
product we do not recommend it for external use.'
Thanks for using Screwfix Q&A.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
You weren't sure if it could be used ouside.
But perhaps you don't actually understand what you write.

As ever the important bit is what you choose to snip....
Jim K

the fact is some 'decorators caulk' does not work well outside, the
frame sealent i linked too does Nememis 'decorators caulk' from
screwfix Hi teiboy, The manufacturer has advised the following: 'As this
is a water based product we do not recommend it for external use.'
Thanks for using Screwfix Q&A.

Since there is already a product available for outside use, why would
anyone use one that says interior only?

Excepting those on here who never do any DIY, obviously.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 18:05:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
You weren't sure if it could be used ouside.
But perhaps you don't actually understand what you write.

As ever the important bit is what you choose to snip....
Jim K

the fact is some 'decorators caulk' does not work well outside, the
frame sealent i linked too does Nememis 'decorators caulk' from
screwfix Hi teiboy, The manufacturer has advised the following: 'As this
is a water based product we do not recommend it for external use.'
Thanks for using Screwfix Q&A.

Since there is already a product available for outside use, why would
anyone use one that says interior only?

Excepting those on here who never do any DIY, obviously.

JOOI, isn't this job an *inside* one though?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
jim k wrote:
AKA 'decorators caulk'..

N/A to the OP but not sure I'd rely on "decorators caulk" on
exterior jobs.

It's interior use only.

Maybe read Mark's post to which mine & TNP refer to?

You weren't sure if it could be used ouside.
But perhaps you don't actually understand what you write.

As ever the important bit is what you choose to snip....
Jim K

the fact is some 'decorators caulk' does not work well outside, the frame
sealent i linked too does
Nememis 'decorators caulk' from screwfix
Hi teiboy,
The manufacturer has advised the following: 'As this is a water based
product we do not recommend it for external use.'
Thanks for using Screwfix Q&A.

So is external acrylic frame sealant a 'water based product'

Its just *more expensive*

which is why amateruts buy it while the pros use decorators caulk

-

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
o.uk...
jim k wrote:
[...]

Unless they need brown... then the 46p "premium" has to be paid....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/