Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to share a photo so youse all can see it?

Hi All,

I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole probably). I want to get it off the wall, but cant see how to (no visible screws).

I was going to share a photo in case anyone recognised the type & could advise...,,,

But I cant figure out how to share the photo on Flickr (just set up an account)

Ive tried both Safari on my phone, and downloaded the IOS Flickr app, but its about as user friendly as a cornered rat!

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole
probably). I want to get it off the wall, but cant see how to (no visible
screws).

I was going to share a photo in case anyone recognised the type & could
advise...,,,

But I cant figure out how to share the photo on Flickr (just set up an
account)

Ive tried both Safari on my phone, and downloaded the IOS Flickr app, but
its about as user friendly as a cornered rat!

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Dropbox is a lot easier to use for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole
probably). I want to get it off the wall, but cant see how to (no visible
screws).

I was going to share a photo in case anyone recognised the type & could
advise...,,,

But I cant figure out how to share the photo on Flickr (just set up an
account)

Ive tried both Safari on my phone, and downloaded the IOS Flickr app, but
its about as user friendly as a cornered rat!

yep

that describes every site that I have discovered too

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/18 11:47, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole
probably). I want to get it off the wall, but cant see how to (no
visible screws).

I was going to share a photo in case anyone recognised the type &
could advise...,,,

But I cant figure out how to share the photo on Flickr (just set up
an account)

Ive tried both Safari on my phone, and downloaded the IOS Flickr app,
but its about as user friendly as a cornered rat!

yep

that describes every site that I have discovered too

tim

Back in the innocent past we allowed anonymous ftp uploads on our server.

It lasted about 6 weeks before it was 'discovered' and its disk was
filled with pirate software and extreme p0rn...

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/17 20:03, Tim+ wrote:
TimW wrote:
On 31/12/17 18:52, wrote:
Hi All,

I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole
probably). I want to get it off the wall, but cant see how to (no visible screws).

I was going to share a photo in case anyone recognised the type & could advise...,,,

But I cant figure out how to share the photo on Flickr (just set up an account)

Ive tried both Safari on my phone, and downloaded the IOS Flickr app,
but its about as user friendly as a cornered rat!

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

TIA

Chris

I stayed in a house in Scotland where the light switches were wooden,
with a glass front, a sort of stick through the middle made the connection:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kss3m7jDkbfqj34m1
TW

I wonder if the house had a DC supply when those were installed?

Tim

An interesting thought. I think they said they had originally had their
own hydro powered generators from the water coming off the hillside
behind. That would make the switches different?

It was he
https://canmore.org.uk/site/107415/kinlochmoidart-house
and in fact there are some better pictures of the light switches on that
page.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Never tried Flickr; setting up an account on any image-sharing site is
unnecessary if you just want to post the occasional pic to the big
wide world. I used to use tinypic, but it stopped working for me, so
now I use imgbb https://imgbb.com/

I'm using that too now. Since Photobucket decided to charge a fortune for
third party hosting.

--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Never tried Flickr; setting up an account on any image-sharing site is
unnecessary if you just want to post the occasional pic to the big
wide world. I used to use tinypic, but it stopped working for me, so
now I use imgbb https://imgbb.com/

I'm using that too now. Since Photobucket decided to charge a fortune for
third party hosting.

Haven't you all got some 'free web space' that comes with your ISP
account? Just stick the picture up there.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Haven't you all got some 'free web space' that comes with your ISP
account? Just stick the picture up there.

I think you have to have not moved ISP for well over a decade to stand
much chance of having webspace ... or be using one of the good but
expensive ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Haven't you all got some 'free web space' that comes with your ISP
account? Just stick the picture up there.

I think you have to have not moved ISP for well over a decade to stand
much chance of having webspace ... or be using one of the good but
expensive ones.

Maybe! :-)

I'm just used to having space 'out there' that comes with various
accounts I have with various providers.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

I'm just used to having space 'out there' that comes with various
accounts I have with various providers.

An S3 bucket is cheap ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to share a photo so youse all can see it? - The news image autocon um1 50.jpg (0/1)

On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:59:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Never tried Flickr; setting up an account on any image-sharing site is
unnecessary if you just want to post the occasional pic to the big
wide world. I used to use tinypic, but it stopped working for me, so
now I use imgbb https://imgbb.com/

I'm using that too now. Since Photobucket decided to charge a fortune for
third party hosting.

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.

Altogether now ... Oh no you haven't!

But even if you did most news servers will now drop messages with binary
attachments.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/18 13:46, Mike wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:59:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Never tried Flickr; setting up an account on any image-sharing site is
unnecessary if you just want to post the occasional pic to the big
wide world. I used to use tinypic, but it stopped working for me, so
now I use imgbb https://imgbb.com/

I'm using that too now. Since Photobucket decided to charge a fortune for
third party hosting.

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.
- Mike

And Eternal September has quietly deleted it
Usenet is text only

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to share a photo so youse all can see it? - The news imageautocon um1 50.jpg (1/1)

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:46:23 +0000, Mike wrote:

Oh yes, he has! (attached an image, that is.) :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a lovely photo of an isolating switch single gang double pole
probably). I want to get it off the wall, but cant see how to (no
visible screws).

I was going to share a photo in case anyone recognised the type & could
advise...,,,

But I cant figure out how to share the photo on Flickr (just set up an
account)

Ive tried both Safari on my phone, and downloaded the IOS Flickr app,
but its about as user friendly as a cornered rat!

yep

that describes every site that I have discovered too

A case in point

because someone I was following in TA had posted their pictures on Instagram
I now have an account

This looks good I thought, no flipping annoying flashing ads, no insistence
that I display my real name. How do I upload my photos to share?

I'm buggered if I can find out what to do

All that seems possible is that I download an app onto my phone and it saves
pictures that I take with that. But I take my pictures with a REAL camera
FFF

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/18 13:46, Mike wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:59:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
** Chris Hogg wrote:
Never tried Flickr; setting up an account on any image-sharing site is
unnecessary if you just want to post the occasional pic to the big
wide world. I used to use tinypic, but it stopped working for me, so
now I use imgbb https://imgbb.com/

I'm using that too now. Since Photobucket decided to charge a fortune
for
third party hosting.

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.
- Mike

And Eternal September has quietly deleted it
Usenet is text only

....apart from the binary groups that most newsservers don't carry, apart
from a few paid ones.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:48:13 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Mike wrote:

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.

Altogether now ... Oh no you haven't!

But even if you did most news servers will now drop messages with binary
attachments.

Well, that's a shame, it worked the last time I used it, but that was
a couple of years ago at least.
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike wrote:

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.

Altogether now ... Oh no you haven't!

But even if you did most news servers will now drop messages with binary
attachments.

Well, that's a shame, it worked the last time I used it, but that was a
couple of years ago at least.
- Mike

I guess Virgin Media's news server must be one of the few that allow
such "attachments" to be processed. Your monochrome image appeared as a
separate 'duplicate posting' of 1486 lines long which Pan obligingly
displayed as an image rather than as an inscrutable 'message' of uuencode
text.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:59:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Never tried Flickr; setting up an account on any image-sharing site is
unnecessary if you just want to post the occasional pic to the big
wide world. I used to use tinypic, but it stopped working for me, so
now I use imgbb https://imgbb.com/

I'm using that too now. Since Photobucket decided to charge a fortune for
third party hosting.

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.

No you didn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:46:23 +0000, Mike wrote:

Oh yes, he has! (attached an image, that is.) :-)

Or, in the case of my text based newsreader, 1500 lines of gibberish.
Sending non-text to a text newsgroup is gnerally exceedingly unpopular
with other group users.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 22:30:07 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:46:23 +0000, Mike wrote:

Oh yes, he has! (attached an image, that is.) :-)

Or, in the case of my text based newsreader, 1500 lines of gibberish.
Sending non-text to a text newsgroup is gnerally exceedingly unpopular
with other group users.

Not so annoying if your news client automatically decodes the uuenc and
processes it into a displayable image as Pan appears to handle such
postings.

Presumably, most usenet clients simply display the gibberish as a very
large text posting so I can understand its unpopularity from past
experience with other news clients that I've tried over the years so I'm
not condoning this practice, just sayin' is all.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:46:23 +0000, Mike wrote:

Oh yes, he has! (attached an image, that is.) :-)

Or, in the case of my text based newsreader, 1500 lines of gibberish.
Sending non-text to a text newsgroup is gnerally exceedingly unpopular
with other group users.

Not so annoying if your news client automatically decodes the uuenc and
processes it into a displayable image as Pan appears to handle such
postings.

Presumably, most usenet clients simply display the gibberish as a very
large text posting so I can understand its unpopularity from past
experience with other news clients that I've tried over the years so I'm
not condoning this practice, just sayin' is all.

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that, while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups, it is
widely considered to be the wrong thing to do. And larger pictures
will almost certainly result in the post being rejected or truncated by
most text servers. In either case, many or most of the readership will
not see the picture.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that, while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

, it is
widely considered to be the wrong thing to do.

Its not 'considered', it IS. Becxause its usually doesnt WORK.

And larger pictures

ALL pictures And ALL attachments.

will almost certainly result in the post being rejected or truncated by
most text servers. In either case, many or most of the readership will
not see the picture.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that, while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

While a heuristic involving the various kinds of delimiting phrases used
is probably feasible, most news servers don't.

, it is
widely considered to be the wrong thing to do.

Its not 'considered', it IS. Becxause its usually doesnt WORK.

And larger pictures

ALL pictures And ALL attachments.

will almost certainly result in the post being rejected or truncated by
most text servers. In either case, many or most of the readership will
not see the picture.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that, while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

It doesnt. Anything that isnt mime encoded as text gets stripped off

So not even small pictures make it through
In fact some are picky abiout "text/html" types, too./

While a heuristic involving the various kinds of delimiting phrases used
is probably feasible, most news servers don't.

, it is
widely considered to be the wrong thing to do.

Its not 'considered', it IS. Becxause its usually doesnt WORK.

And larger pictures

ALL pictures And ALL attachments.

will almost certainly result in the post being rejected or truncated by
most text servers. In either case, many or most of the readership will
not see the picture.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that, while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

It doesnt. Anything that isnt mime encoded as text gets stripped off

So not even small pictures make it through
In fact some are picky abiout "text/html" types, too./

Mike's server sent his picture as a separate message. The following is
all the headers up to the first line of the encoded picture. Which is
the mime type in this? As I said, such things could be detected, but a
size limit seems a more likely cause for rejection. If you can get the
picture into 800 lines I suspect many news servers would pass it as
text:

From: Mike
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: How to share a photo so youse all can see it? - The news
image autocon um1 50.jpg (1/1)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:46:23 +0000

begin 644 The news image autocon um1 50.jpg
M_]C_X``02D9)1@`!`0$`2`!(``#_X1$=17AI9@``34T`*@````@` !P$2``,`

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that,
while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

It doesnt. Anything that isnt mime encoded as text gets stripped off

3&EK92!B;VQL;V-KR!IR!D;V5S+BXN+@

(uuencoded - it won't be stripped because it lacks any recognisable
header lines)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/18 01:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/01/18 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that,
while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news
servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

It doesnt. Anything that isnt mime encoded as text gets stripped off

3&EK92!B;VQL;V-KR!IR!D;V5S+BXN+@

(uuencoded - it won't be stripped because it lacks any recognisable
header lines)

Exactly. By the way base64 is more usual these days...

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/18 01:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/01/18 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that,
while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news
servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

It doesnt. Anything that isnt mime encoded as text gets stripped off

3&EK92!B;VQL;V-KR!IR!D;V5S+BXN+@

(uuencoded - it won't be stripped because it lacks any recognisable
header lines)

Exactly. By the way base64 is more usual these days...

VHJ1ZSwgYW5kIHRoYXQgd29uJ3QgYmUgc3RyaXBwZWQgZWl0aG VyLi4u

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 14:01:52 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/01/18 12:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/01/18 11:40, Roger Hayter wrote:

I'm not trying to be objectionable at all, just pointing out that, while
it is technically possible to send small pictures to text groups

No, in most cases it is NOT technically possible, since the news servers
strip out anything that isnt pure text.

And how, pray, does a news server distinguish a *small* uuencoded
picture from the ASCII gibberish that so many of us type anyway?

It doesnt. Anything that isnt mime encoded as text gets stripped off

So not even small pictures make it through
In fact some are picky abiout "text/html" types, too./

you might be able to enciode it in PGP then copy what's extracted and convert that but I would say that methode would be suitable for all to see as a picture, but it could get you around the problem but a lot of hassle and not really what the OP is looking for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:46:22 +0000
Mike wrote:

I use the attachment feature that my newsreader (Free Agent) provides.
I've attached an image to this message.

That might work in a binaries group, but most servers will drop it from
text groups.